Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 09-23-2005, 02:55 AM
Dogs name is Shortie

gee i nover thought it was poison i thought i would just make them fat or something.
i havent fed him choclate because i wasent so sure.
Ty for bringing this topic up.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Top Dog

White choc. is o.k., it's proven that dard/semi dark and milk choc. can be toxic to dogs, and have killed them at times. Do you really want to risk it? Think of it, is a little heorion gonna kill you, a little crack.... just don't give it to them. It's not necessary in their diet and it's been known to kill some dogs, do you want to chance your dog on that. Onions, also are not good for them. Avacados can kill a parrot, even though I know some people who gave it to them and nothing happened. Thank heavens.... It's just a good thing not to do it. Why do you want to give your dog chocolate?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:25 AM
Harley & Abby

I agree, there are many other treats you can give your dog besides chocolate.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Active Pup

Default dogs and chocolate

hey there, i'm a vet tech in a small animal hospital. for everyone's knowledge:
milk choclate- 1 ounce per pound of body weight is toxic, so a 60 pound lab would have to eat 60 ounces of chocolate, which is like 4 pounds.
dark chocolate- needs a vet
if your dog has eaten lots of chocolate, inducing vomiting is a good idea if it's been less then 3 hours. otherwise it's pointless. they usually all develop hyperactivity, vomiting, and loose poop. :>
Old 11-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Bulacan Pitbull Club

According to the Hound Health Book by Betsy Brevitz, D.V.M., chocolate in large doses is toxic to dogs, and can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. But chocolate in any dose-even a single Oreo cookie--is junk food and not healthy for dogs.

Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which are toxic to dogs. (Carob, white chocolate, and cocoa butter contain little or none of these toxins.) What it does: Causes vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, tremors, heart arrhythmias, or seizures. Fortunately, the dose that will cause the most severe symptoms-heart arrhythmias and seizures-is quite high. Unsweetened baking chocolate contains ten times the amount of theobromine and caffeine found in milk chocolate, making unsweetened chocolate the most dangerous. A dangerous dose of unsweetened chocolate is about 1 ounce (one square) for a 20-pound dog, about 2 ounces for a 40-pound dog, and 4 ounces for an 80-pound dog. In practical terms, this means that if your 80-pound Lab eats half a chocolate cake, he is less likely to have heart arrhythmias and seizures than he is to vomit and have diarrhea.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Big Dog

my 50 pound boxer ate an entire box of pecan nut cluster chocolate thingys (there like Turtle chocolates, but there was 30 in the box) she puked all day but still hasnt learned her lesson. maybe they get cravings just as much as we do
Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
dog lovers unite~!

Once my puppy ran away with an m&m. and I totally freaked out. LOL and she spit it out and it went rolling down the living room~ x]
Old 03-13-2006, 10:35 AM
chorky

Question puppy diet

hi all,
louie is a chihuahua/yorkie cross who's a very fussy eater, after reading some of the messages today i was wondering how other dog owners deal with this. louie only eats human food, and some of thishe,s going off. a few replys i recieved yesterday were very helpful and i had to agree with the fact that i need to be firmer but i do feel cruel when he goes all day without eating anything, we,ve done the put food out for 30mins and take it away this we did for two days and he still wouldn,t touch it. also whats with the raw meat thing
Old 03-20-2006, 01:28 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Emma ate a whole Toblerone bar once.

I had 2 peices out if it and put it on the counter. A little while later, I called Emma and we went to bed. The next day, about 12hrs later I went to get the toblerone bar after I woke up. It was on the floor torn to peices. I knew she got it before we went to bed because she was outside right then and had been since she got up.

I didnt take her to the vet because it was 8-12hrs after she ate it and she areared fine. I figured she would allreayd be sick if it was going to hurt her. I did watch her closely for the nex few day though.

My little goat in the shape of a bealge. LOL

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 03-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Active Pup

Default My goofy boxer

Bailey, my two year old Boxer, is AWFUL about chocolate. At Christmas, she stole, yes, stole, about 6 pieces of chocolate fudge from several plates. She did not touch the ham, turkey, or anything else, just turned her head sideways (I didn't see her, but I know what she looks like when she tries to eat from a plate that sits on a table), and took the pieces of fudge off. When several family members noticed that their fudge was gone (we had all gotten up to praise my 3 year old for going potty.....big deal in our house!), we started to ask my 4 year old what he had done with the fudge. He swore over and over that he didn't have any. I smelled his breath, and realized immediately that he was indeed telling the truth. The only other culprit was the dog. She was sitting quietly in her crate, although it was not locked, that's just where she goes when we eat. When I went to check, there was a very small piece of chocolate in the corner, slobbery but uneaten. She had no side effects, but I took her to the vet a couple of days later just in case. The vet had a good laugh, checked her stool sample, and proclaimed her to be naughty, but fine.