Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

I don't have a problem with thinking your dogs will "watch over" you. I have a problem with saying that puppies, especially ones that young, are "specially trained" in any way.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Many people here insist that their dogs will protect them. Misguided as that may be, it is accepted by the other members because they are in the Chaz club. Someone unknown thinks the same thing about their pups, tries to use it as a selling point, misguided as it may be, and they are torn a new one. A little bit of a double standard.

You didn't get your dog because someone told you she's a good protector, so you'd have no reason to expect that from her.

As far as the CL "rehoming fee", that's just a PC phrase for "here's what I'm charging".
I find that a bit condescending, as if you believe since you train with your dog for such work you have the market cornered on a dog that WILL protect when needed.

I can agree that nobody knows if their dog will protect until a REAL situation appears.........and yes, that includes dogs who train for the job.

I have a 75lb doberman, I have NO IDEA if he would protect me if needed.......I like to think he would, but we've never really been in the position.

On the other hand, we also have a 38lb border mix that has PROVEN she will. Laid back, no protection training, and friendly as they come to EVERYONE she meets.........but she HAS put herself between me and danger and lunged for the bite. I never even DREAMED she would be a protector. Go figure huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakatx2 View Post
However, claiming that PUPPIES have been trained to protect a DEPLOYED MEMBER'S SPOUSE (not anyone else, mind you), is an obvious load. Since I'm the OP of the ad and I don't even own a lap dog, I stand by my claim that it's BS.
Gotta say I am agreeing with mommakatx on that one. It is a ridiculous claim for ANYONE to make when trying to rehome, sell, or give away PUPPIES.

If they had said "potential ability" based on parents? I might have bought that one. Not pups already "SPECIALLY TRAINED" <-----exact words used> and now they are being REHOMED on craig's list? Who puts that kind of time and training into a PUPPY to rehome on CL? Nope..........don't buy it at all.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I find that a bit condescending, as if you believe since you train with your dog for such work you have the market cornered on a dog that WILL protect when needed.

I can agree that nobody knows if their dog will protect until a REAL situation appears.........and yes, that includes dogs who train for the job.

I have a 75lb doberman, I have NO IDEA if he would protect me if needed.......I like to think he would, but we've never really been in the position.

On the other hand, we also have a 38lb border mix that has PROVEN she will. Laid back, no protection training, and friendly as they come to EVERYONE she meets.........but she HAS put herself between me and danger and lunged for the bite. I never even DREAMED she would be a protector. Go figure huh?

Gotta say I am agreeing with mommakatx on that one. It is a ridiculous claim for ANYONE to make when trying to rehome, sell, or give away PUPPIES.

If they had said "potential ability" based on parents? I might have bought that one. Not pups already "SPECIALLY TRAINED" <-----exact words used> and now they are being REHOMED on craig's list? Who puts that kind of time and training into a PUPPY to rehome on CL? Nope..........don't buy it at all.
I agree. That is stretching it a bit, isn't it. 7 or 8 week old (or even older) puppies are incapable of protecting themselves, much less anyone else.

My (90 lb...lol) Doberman backed someone right into a corner in my home when this person had no business being in my home. And he also kept someone from coming inside when I wasn't right there. He didn't bite, but he let them know in no uncertain terms. Whether he was protecting me or not, I don't know...more likely he was protecting himself and his belongings (I was his belonging.) LOL.

It's hard to say whether a dog, even one trained in protection, actually has it in their mind that they're protecting their person from harm. Do they for sure think like we would if we pulled a gun on someone who was about to attack our child or another person we cared about? We're thinking of that person's welfare. Does a dog who is protecting think about the welfare of the person? I doubt it. They'd have to have some sophisticated form of empathy, which has not been concluded by science. (maybe a rudimentary form. I've read a bit on this subject) I tend to think they're protecting themselves. Their person or family is responsible for their survival so they're protecting that resrouce. JMO. (maybe a little off topic, huh)

But yeah...a pretty silly ad.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Beezer has proven himself IMO as a "protector" When a man was in our backyard and ended up standing in the window of the sliding door. Beezer was charging the door and banging against the door at the "intruder". Had he opened the door Beezer was prepared to bite him. I've NEVER seen him in such a rage.

while Belle danced around the room like an idiot wagging her tail being totally excited about the whole event lol.

But I wouldn't rehome Beezer with the title "specially trained to watch over your spouse while you are away" lol and especially not at only a few months of age.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Resident fainting goat

Well I guess im just a bad trainer lol My 8 week old foster pups were still not even close to being potty trained! let alone had any other kind of training lol
Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

Well, young puppies can learn some amazing stuff, obedience wise. They're little sponges. But protection training or even a natural tendency to protect comes with a lot of factors, like breed and/or individual temperament, natural apptitude and maturity. I don't know what that person has in mind. Do people really think a little, tiny puppy is going to protect them? I hope they didn't read watch over as meaning protecting. I can't imagine that this person meant that.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-10-2009, 10:42 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Well I guess im just a bad trainer lol My 8 week old foster pups were still not even close to being potty trained! let alone had any other kind of training lol
WTH Fransheska?! 8 Weeks was PLENTY of time to have them *specially trained* and ready for active duty!

you slacker!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Watch over, to me is very broad terminology. To me, "watch over" could mean that they will comfort and be your companion while your spouse is away. And when they grow up, they might really make you feel safer. I think that must be what the advertiser meant.

Oh...never mind....the person said, "especially trained." I keep forgetting. It would have been fun to call and ask just exactly how she/he went about this special training. LOL

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Watch over, to me is very broad terminology. To me, "watch over" could mean that they will comfort and be your companion while your spouse is away. And when they grow up, they might really make you feel safer. I think that must be what the advertiser meant.
Ok, assuming you are correct..........how exactly does one go about "specially training" these pups to do so? Either a dog wants to comfort you or they don't IMO.

Phoebe isn't an "in your business" got to be touching, following, know what you are doing at all times type of girl. She wants her space and gives you YOUR space unless you want to do an activity with her. I don't think we could train her for that if we wanted to.

Orson came "specially trained" like that from the birth canal I believe, he'll "comfort" you to DEATH if you let him!

No, I do believe this person was trying to be purposely misleading and play on the worries of deployed soldiers. JMO

EDIT: Sorry! Posted before you added your edit
Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 AM
:( only one :(

Quote:
These little guys are specially trained to watch over military spouse while active duty deployed.
For some reason I didn't read it as though they meant to guard the wives but to be there, as companion. Then again, I often misread things, so pay no attention to this post. lol