Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
To the bolded part: I thought most Chi's did shiver? I always thought it has something to do with staying warm. I could be wrong though, because I don't know much about Chis.

To the none bolded part: Great post! It's the reason why I don't usually recommend a Border Collie when people are asking 'what kind of dog is right for me'.
Chihuahuas shiver because they're so mighty

Actually, even well bred and well socialized chis can shake/shiver. My girls do when they're cold... they even sleep underneath the covers in bed, whereas Tucker can't stand to be covered up.

I think it just has to do with them being so small, they loose body heat quickly.

And yeah, I don't recommend most breeds to people when they ask what the "right" breed is for them.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Just try me..

I have to say I get a lot more comments about having JRT than BC..

Sport is an awesome dog. BUT his screaming when he is worked up does help fuel the BC stereotype.

Pretty much any breed can be 'crazy' in the wrong hands
Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm All Ears

Lol, I get the shaking thing all the time. It's one really common question that I think is so weird. No, papillons don't shiver like chihuahuas do. If your pap is shaking, they're sick, the only time mine shake is when they're about to puke.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post

Actually, even well bred and well socialized chis can shake/shiver. My girls do when they're cold... they even sleep underneath the covers in bed, whereas Tucker can't stand to be covered up.
Off topic, I know, but is it not normal (or a 'breed thing') for Chis to shake? I never got the impression from the ones I've been around that it has anything to do with being scared. I was around a Chi a couple weekends ago for 4 days and if you picked her up she'd shake, but she loved being picked up. And the couple Chis that my aunt has, also shake when picked up.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Twin 2.0

I think most people go overboard with providing TOO MUCH stimulation to their BC's, especially when young, and they never let the dog learn how to calm down, self-sooth or entertain themselves. It's like kids who only watch TV...take away the TV, you've got a holy terror on your hands, because they don't know what else to do.

Aussies get a lot of the same stereotypes as BC's do as far as being "crazy energy" dogs, with the addition of being known barkers. Sawyer has the world's best off-switch but when he's riled up, good doG does he bark!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Water Junkie

I think that is a problem too, Zoom I hear on different forums of people doing this and that with there border collie pups so young and I think geeze, just let them be a pup!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm All Ears

I find it weird that of the bc owners I know, the 'just pet' people seem to consistently have better behaved dogs than the sports people I trained with with a couple exceptions of course.

ETA: That could probably go with what zoom said though. The sports people I know seem to like to build drive and build drive and build drive without much else.

ETA 2: I should point out these are pretty amateur sports people lol
Old 11-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I find it weird that of the bc owners I know, the 'just pet' people seem to consistently have better behaved dogs than the sports people I trained with with a couple exceptions of course.
It's probably because they want there dogs to be hyper and crazy so they go fast in whatever sport they are doing.

What did you see when you went to the sheepdog trial? Most the dogs just hang out in a crate or tied to a fence post while waiting to work. And you rarely see a dog barking, causing a fuss, or jumping around.

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
It's probably because they want there dogs to be hyper and crazy so they go fast in whatever sport they are doing.

What did you see when you went to the sheepdog trial? Most the dogs just hang out in a crate or tied to a fence post while waiting to work. And you rarely see a dog barking, causing a fuss, or jumping around.
Lol yep. I think it would shock most people who are unfamiliar with working bcs. Totally different animal.

There was ONE puppy who was acting up pretty bad. (He happened to be sitting right in front of me) but then again he was only 8 months old so I forgive him. Plus he was pretty cute.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Lol yep. I think it would shock most people who are unfamiliar with working bcs. Totally different animal.

There was ONE puppy who was acting up pretty bad. (He happened to be sitting right in front of me) but then again he was only 8 months old so I forgive him. Plus he was pretty cute.
Oh yeah, all the dogs are totally quiet, calm, don't interact with each other much at all, and the owners are in FULL control of there dogs - maybe that's why I like it so much? Lol.

Hehe, Blaze still hasn't learn the 'just chill and watch' thing. But I think that has more to do with the fact that he doesn't handle the pressure of watching other dogs being corrected very well. So, I'm not pushing it on him. I did once, and he didn't do very well after watching for a long period of time.

l ~Jennifer~ l