Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Yep, I have had a BC in my life for the past 22 years. They are wonderful dogs that most people shouldn't own. I would like to keep it that way!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 AM
Top Dog

People just don't know. Someone asked me at the dog park the other day, what "Mixes" Peyton and Jax were. I responded, "Gin, Vermouth and some Olive".

I agree there are some crazy BC's out there. Made that way by people who won't take the time and effort to properly train them. I saw plenty when I went looking, but then I also found one that was just wonderful. Fine, call me crazy, I've been called worse.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Puppy Dog

I've never personally owned a Border Collie...
As far as herding dogs go, I've had a Chow Chow/Australian Cattle Dog mix....

However, they are extremely popular in the town near where I live as many people here are ranchers. (Not including myself...as I refuse to eat red meat.)
Border Collies are most popular here followed by Australian Cattle Dogs, and there are a few Australian Shepherds.
So the Borders here get to do the work they were bred to do! The sad thing is, many people here (well not where I LIVE, but in the neighboring town) are as well bad dog owners, which is awful. Many actually kick and beat their dogs and PUPPIES, even the kids do! > I witnessed a boy no older than 9 calling his Border Collie (mix?) puppy towards him and then KICKING her as hard as he could when she approached. I chewed him out.
Not many people there are in this time and age, nor are they very well educated...to say the least.

ANYWAY, Borders are very intelligent dogs! I have always wanted one, or an Australian Shepherd, but we are afraid they'd get out and cause trouble with the livestock near by (a few miles distance)...
Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

A bc needs a lot of mental stimulation. Not a breed to be left alone for long periods of time. To me, the people who make those comments are obviously NOT bc people, know NOTHING about them and until the learn, don't need to get one. They just need some education on the breed.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
A bc needs a lot of mental stimulation. Not a breed to be left alone for long periods of time. To me, the people who make those comments are obviously NOT bc people, know NOTHING about them and until the learn, don't need to get one. They just need some education on the breed.
I agree with this, Aussies too for that matter. BC's are like driving a car. You should have a license to drive one.

Many people get them because they are smart then neglect the very reason they got one and wonder why the dog is not behaving like a stuffed toy. The most active BC in the litter might be fun at first, but that activity will come back to haunt you if you don't do what's required.

I admit to having a laid back BC, and I picked him for that very reason to give me some flexibility down the road. No, he's not a stuffed toy but at times, he's pretty close.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
I must disagree with this statement.

I have a Border Collie from stong working lines (I get that comment all the time from another sheepdog handler that my BC's sire was a very strong dog). My border collie can be left alone for long periods of time without me - in a crate. He doesn't come out 'crazy', he isn't destructive while in his crate, never tears up his blanket, etc. He's 1 year old, for refrence.

While I would agree that Border Collies need alot of mental stimulation, they don't need it ALL THE TIME, like some may think. I'm very bad about doing lots of commands throughout the day - actually unless I'm specifically training with him, we don't do many commands throughout the day beyond the basic no and here.

On thing that a well bred, well trained Border Collie will have is a reliable off switch.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post

I have a Border Collie from stong working lines (I get that comment all the time from another sheepdog handler that my BC's sire was a very strong dog). My border collie can be left alone for long periods of time without me - in a crate. He doesn't come out 'crazy', he isn't destructive while in his crate, never tears up his blanket, etc. He's 1 year old, for refrence.
steve's crated for 9-9 1/2 hours a day with a break in the middle and i don't have any problems with him, either. yeah, when i'm home he wants to be doing stuff, and a lot of times i'll play with him when he brings me his ball, but if i'm busy and ignore him, he'll go chew a bone or something appropriate on his own. he's 13 months.

he's certainly an energetic dog and always always up for something fun, but i don't find him a particularly difficult dog to live with.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post

While I would agree that Border Collies need alot of mental stimulation, they don't need it ALL THE TIME, like some may think. I'm very bad about doing lots of commands throughout the day - actually unless I'm specifically training with him, we don't do many commands throughout the day beyond the basic no and here.

On thing that a well bred, well trained Border Collie will have is a reliable off switch.
That's how Rory is as well... he has no issues being in his crate, and hasn't destroyed his crate pad or toys thus far.

He's decently easy to live with, all things considering... he's only an 8 month old puppy.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I think the reputation just spreads by word of mouth. All BCs are crazy, all Shelties/Collies are noisy fence-runners, all Chihuahuas shiver and all Cockers bite people.

With that said, I think it's better for the breed for people to be afraid of getting one (for whatever reason) ... one less person getting a dog and giving it up. I don't encourage people to get Collies ... if you WANT one, then we'll talk.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
, all Chihuahuas shiver

With that said, I think it's better for the breed for people to be afraid of getting one (for whatever reason) ... one less person getting a dog and giving it up. I don't encourage people to get Collies ... if you WANT one, then we'll talk.
To the bolded part: I thought most Chi's did shiver? I always thought it has something to do with staying warm. I could be wrong though, because I don't know much about Chis.

To the none bolded part: Great post! It's the reason why I don't usually recommend a Border Collie when people are asking 'what kind of dog is right for me'.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l