Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

LOL. I was gonna say the same thing as Laurelin, just look how many people (on here even!!) say that shelties are neurotic and crazy and this and that...

Popular perceptions (and misconceptions) of dogs are fun, aren't they? I really don't know what to make of it. The worst part about it is when people buy into that and start producing dogs to those misconceptions. Honestly I think that's how a lot of BCs ended up "crazy" - because oh, they're supposed to be like that, so let's breed this nutso dog to that nutso dog and get nutso puppies!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Whenever I go somewhere and mention that I have a Border Collie, most people say things like "I am so sorry for you," "bless your soul," and "why would you ever get one of THOSE dogs?"
i have to admit, as somebody who also owns pit bulls, these kind of comments about my bc make me laugh and laugh. one of "those" dogs indeed.

mostly i just have people telling me that border collies need jobs. uh, yeah. so do pretty much all dogs. but hey thanks for the advice! i'll get right on that.

steve is a little neurotic (and shy and reactive) but i'm relatively certain my soul doesn't require any more blessing than it did when luce was this age. erm. or even now that luce is seven....
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
and Fozzie B!

Honestly... the majority of Border Collies I meet ARE crazy. Only one of the BCs who comes to the hotel is even mildly friendly/polite/sane. The rest are fearful, neurotic, and make me sad beyond words. Most of the Border Collies I knew and met before belonged to responsible, dedicated owners who I met through Obedience and dog sports, and most of their dogs were amazing and a blast to work with. It's only now that I see the other side - as in, your typical dog owner - that I realize how forked up this breed really is thanks to inappropriate homes.

I think the difference that Chaz makes is the fact that we educate ourselves, we know what the breed needs, and we don't expect to get a BC puppy, throw it in the backyard and let it train/socialize/stimulate itself because "they are so smart"... most of the Border Collies I meet (in the real world) are either in a state of uncontrollable excitement and energy or a state of complete shut down. It's sad, because these dogs can be so balanced and intuitive and well-mannered if they're given direction.

I get a lot of comments, too. I used to be taken aback, but now I'm just glad that most people have insane, over-the-top assumptions about the breed. :3 Most people should not be allowed to own these dogs. I love when people say "I've never seen a Border Collie do that..." when Gonzo greets children with kisses, or is sitting politely beside me. And when people say "you must be constantly exercising him!" Umm, yeah, no. If by that you mean he naps at my feet 90% of the day and only gets up to follow me from room to room, yes. I do get irritated by people in Obedience/Agility/Flyball/etc who shrug and make excuses about how well he does because "of course it's the Border Collie!" Despite what everyone seems to think, Border Collies are not capable of higher intelligence or mind-reading and cannot magically train themselves (at least not to my knowledge).

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Felurian

Hey, be thankful no one's trying to kill your dogs because of their breed . . . . *sigh*

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

Zoe is half border collie. She has a ton of energy, but is also the smartest, most affectionate dog I've ever known. She gets scared at loud noises, but other than that, shows no signs of craziness. We adore her and would get another full BC or mix any day!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm All Ears

I just don't get a couple of the people I know who seem to get off on having the most neurotic insane mess of a dog... (drivey according to them). I wish they could see the actual working dogs and compare the two. I think it would shock some of them.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I just don't get a couple of the people I know who seem to get off on having the most neurotic insane mess of a dog... (drivey according to them). I wish they could see the actual working dogs and compare the two. I think it would shock some of them.
i know somebody with springers who is like that with ugly nasty dogs. they bite her, they bite her husband, and she just keeps acquiring more nasty dogs on purpose. these aren't dogs that she takes in and rehabs. they stay nasty. they are absolutely the stereotype of unstable springer and she exalts in it for some bizarre reason that i cannot fathom.
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I hate when people use that as an excuse for an out of control dog. Drive is one thing, neurotic is completely different and unacceptable IMO. It's a common misconception that a drivey dog doesnt have an off switch. My GSD has ALOT of drive (and yeah it affects some aspects of OB right now because he can't cap the drive) WHILE "working" but is completely mellow around the house. Doesnt tear things up, plays with my 6# pom (and he's the gentle one of the two, lol), doesnt chase the cats, and 99% of the time he is at my feet sleeping. The beauty of it is that he can turn on in a second and turn it right back off the second after. I dont know about BC's, but in my breed having a dog that cant relax or have an off-switch is NOT a good thing (and those dogs should NEVER be bred, IMO I dont care how good of a worker they are).
Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i know somebody with springers who is like that with ugly nasty dogs. they bite her, they bite her husband, and she just keeps acquiring more nasty dogs on purpose. these aren't dogs that she takes in and rehabs. they stay nasty. they are absolutely the stereotype of unstable springer and she exalts in it for some bizarre reason that i cannot fathom.
Oh that's exactly him! It's awful and he talks and talks to the other people about 'proper border collies' as his dog is lunging and trying to eat another dog that is running. 'Oh look that's her herding instinct, she's trying to herd that dog! She comes from real cattle lines'

*facepalm*
Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
overdogged

Quote:
'Oh look that's her herding instinct, she's trying to herd that dog! She comes from real cattle lines'
one of my obedience trainer says that about her aussie's incessant barking at other dogs. it's because she's a herding dog. she says that's why steve wants to chase dogs. not not not. steve is not trying to herd them, steve is trying to chase them because he's an overstimulated spaz.
Are you Unruly?