Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Resident fainting goat

I dont see the big deal. sure, she should've done some research before buying a toy dog for a toddler.. but whats done is done and shes doing the best she can to find the dog a more suitable home
I would much rather see these ads then oh i dunno, a pomeranian wandering around the side of the road

As for kids, ya you can teach them to be gentle, but accidents do happen... even if the kid is trying and not doing it on purpose, for toy dogs all it takes is a really strong hug, or picking up and accidently being dropped to seriously injure a dog.

I hate these kinds of threads.. what is the point of them? to bash people who aren't even here to defend themselves..
Instead of this, maybe a NICE KIND email to her, suggesting a more suitable breed of dog as a companion for her and her son, why getting a dog for a child isn't the best idea, some training ideas etc.. would be more appropriate for all involved

If it wasn't for what i've learned on chaz. I would be picking dogs to buy/adopt based on looks alone lol id be a college student with a husky puppy or something being fed beneful!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Just wondering do you have kids?

Yes I agree parental watchfulness and training is essential to making this work. And I do know what I am talking of lol (10 dogs in this house, and 6 horses.. plus one child who has grown up with them all) But not everyone is prepared for the amount of effort it can take.
No I do not have kids. However I have babysat my nieces and nephews. I also grew up with 4 sisters and one brother and all of them know how to be gentle with dogs. They also have dogs and have passed their knowledge onto their kids about being around dogs and that they need to be gentle. My brother has 2 male pit bulls and his 3 daughters range in age from 3 years old
to 10 years old. I've also had Lola over his house numerous times and when I first brought Lola their his youngest was a year old. She was watched very carefully as she was petting the dog and was told to be gentle even before she started petting the dog.

If I had children I would closely supervise them also. Not only because small dogs are fragile but also because you never know when a dog will bite no matter what size it is. People can say "My dog will never bite" but they do not know that for sure and can never guarantee it. I've had people ask if my dog bites and my response so far has been she has not bitten anyone yet.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Just try me..

Thats nice.. but its different when they are yours. And not all children are naturally gentle with animals. AND absolutely no parent can watch 100% of the time.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm All Ears

Some kids never learn to be gentle with tiny dogs and that's just asking for a kid to be bitten or a dog to be hurt imo.

We had Josie as a small kid around toy dogs and I've had 3 year olds around our five. But Josie was gentle and so are my cousin's kids. My dogs' breeder required she meet Josie and watch her interact with the dogs before we were allowed to get a papillon puppy from her. Not all kids could have been gentle enough for a small breed. That's why when people ask me "Are they good with children?" I always reply "It depends on the children."
Old 11-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

LD,
You really need to step back and realize what is right for the DOG. Whether you agree with it or not this woman has a dog that is in danger. Whether she should have gotten the dog or not is irrelevant. The dog is in their household and its quite possible the dog will be severly injured. She's doing what's right by the DOG. Good for her that she is taking the initiative to find the dog an appropriate home when she realized the dog's well-being is at risk. Maybe instead of bashing her here, you should email her links on how to properly screen homes to ensure the dog finds a wonderful new home without the risk of being injured.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever View Post
LD,
You really need to step back and realize what is right for the DOG. Whether you agree with it or not this woman has a dog that is in danger. Whether she should have gotten the dog or not is irrelevant. The dog is in their household and its quite possible the dog will be severly injured. She's doing what's right by the DOG. Good for her that she is taking the initiative to find the dog an appropriate home when she realized the dog's well-being is at risk. Maybe instead of bashing her here, you should email her links on how to properly screen homes to ensure the dog finds a wonderful new home without the risk of being injured.
I agree. I think we also need to remember that keeping a dog forever is often NOT the best thing for the dog.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
LD,
good advice.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Someday Lola's dad.. I would lovve to be as perfect and flawless as you
Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
LD,
again let me repeat myself. i did not say what she is doing by rehoming the dog is the wrong thing to do. what I have said and STILL SAYING is the parent should have been more responsible by WATCHING THE SON AT ALL TIMES WITH THE DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I agree. I think we also need to remember that keeping a dog forever is often NOT the best thing for the dog.
Please read the response above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Thats nice.. but its different when they are yours. And not all children are naturally gentle with animals. AND absolutely no parent can watch 100% of the time.
If the parent can't watch 100% of the time when the son is with the dog then the dog should be either crated or tethered to the mother. Do parents watch 100% of the time when their 2 year old is outside playing in the yard?. I would think that they do and I would certainly hope they do. So with that in mind how hard is it for a parent to watch when their 2 year old is with a dog

Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Someday Lola's dad.. I would lovve to be as perfect and flawless as you

Your just trying to be argumentative and I am not going there.

Have a nice day