Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankstar View Post
I dont see the big deal. Its not working out. so they need to rehome her.

Somtimes buiying a small do nd haingyun children just doesnt work.I grew up with toy poodlws from the day I was brought home from the hospital. I was always gentle, an they were my bestfrinds growing up.

but Im sure if I was to rough on them, then they probably would have been rehomed as well.

I think, unless you are othrwise looking for somthing in specific to buy. You should stay off CL pets area.
We had a Beagle growing up in the early 60's. We also had 12 cats at the same time. But their is no way we were not supervised when we were around them. How about a little parental responsibility?. I'm not saying that parents should get rid of their pets when a child is born or young, I am saying that they need to be watching their children when they are around the dog. It's a great time to teach them to be gentle and that pets are fragile.

The other thing the woman could have done was get a slightly larger less fragile breed and still supervised the kid with the dog. Her common sense went out the window.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
The other thing the woman could have done was get a slightly larger less fragile breed and still supervised the kid with the dog. Her common sense went out the window.
Yes she could have. She didn't, it was a mistake with no malicious intent and they are obviously didn't just wait for the kid to kill the dog and say "oops"

They are trying to find a better, more suitable home. Not quite sure what's wrong with that or why she deserves to have her ad posted on a dog forum just for the sake of mocking
Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Yes she could have. She didn't, it was a mistake with no malicious intent and they are obviously didn't just wait for the kid to kill the dog and say "oops"

They are trying to find a better, more suitable home. Not quite sure what's wrong with that or why she deserves to have her ad posted on a dog forum just for the sake of mocking
I guess some people just don't get it. Parental responsibility is supervising your child when they are together with the dog. I am not mocking her for getting the dog and yes I am agreeing that she is doing the right thing by rehoming the dog. Get it now?

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I definitely think the dog needs to go to another home and that's the best thing they could do for the dog.

But how about some training for their child? how much education does it TAKE to think "Hey maybe I need to teach my kid how to be GENTLE and keep them seperated when I can't watch both closely." I just wonder what will they do if their child starts beating up on other kids lol.. give away the other kids?

But that being said... the dog definitely needs a new home and I HOPE this is the lesson they will remember in the future if they choose to get a pet and what kind of pet.

Our dogs came to us before Hannah so we were able to condition both parties as they grew in our homes. I likely would NOT add another dog to our household until Hannah is older.

But... dookie happens and we can't see the future. I'm glad they did this before the dog gets seriously injured or the child gets injured

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Then she might have been trying to rehome the dog for being too rough with the kid! Knocking him over, scratching during play, etc, etc, etc...If she isn't willing to teach the kid to behave with the small dog, then there's a darn good chance she isn't willing to teach the DOG to behave with the kid, LOL

Just sayin'
Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Remembering Casey ♥

Alot of kids actually Cannot be taught to be gentle.. Trust me, I have to keep keely seperated from my 3 year old cousin, because even after trying to TEACH her (Her parents try as well) She will still chase her down if she gets a chance. She has picked keely up by the COLLAR, because its hard to catch a 3 year old sometimes.. Keely snaps at her now and everything but is fine with other kids.. My brother was another one that couldnt be taught to be gentle with small animals.. It just didnt work.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
We had a Beagle growing up in the early 60's. We also had 12 cats at the same time. But their is no way we were not supervised when we were around them. How about a little parental responsibility?. I'm not saying that parents should get rid of their pets when a child is born or young, I am saying that they need to be watching their children when they are around the dog. It's a great time to teach them to be gentle and that pets are fragile.

Just wondering do you have kids?

Yes I agree parental watchfulness and training is essential to making this work. And I do know what I am talking of lol (10 dogs in this house, and 6 horses.. plus one child who has grown up with them all) But not everyone is prepared for the amount of effort it can take.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
I guess some people just don't get it. Parental responsibility is supervising your child when they are together with the dog. I am not mocking her for getting the dog and yes I am agreeing that she is doing the right thing by rehoming the dog. Get it now?
You don't have kids hey? You cannot watch them and a dog 24/7, trust me.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
What's wrong with people?

Yet another stupid human that actually has the ability to breed another human and did.

Quote:
No, I don't get it now. What are you mocking her for then?

So she messed up and got the wrong sized dog for her particular child. Some kids are easy to teach around animals. Some are much more difficult. It is not easy to supervise a kid every second around a dog. Believe me. I've had a few dogs when my kids were young.

I purposely got a little bit older GSD when my daughter was 1-1/2, thinking bigger would be better....sturdier and if she turned out to be a wild child, the pup would stand a better chance. As it turned out, when Ajax would be lying on the floor and I would tell Emily to be very careful not to step on his tail or fall on him, she squatted down in that cute posture little ones have and patted him ever so gently and side stepped very carefully way around him, really watching out for his tail. LOL. She turned out to be so gentle and careful with the dog. But parents can't always predict ahead what their kids are going to be like. I mean...we could have gotten a younger puppy or even a toy breed if we had wanted to. My son was another story. He followed and chased our kitten around...just really bothered him... and I had to constantly be on him.

This person made a boo boo probably in getting the toy breed. But she made sure to rectify it and find a more suitable home. I've seen people allow their kids to terrorize their dogs and cats. Supervising is definitely important. But there are still going to be moments here and there, where people aren't watching for a minute. I didn't supervise my kids around our GSD or Lab, once the kids were a few years old. The dogs were so trustworthy and had an off the charts kind of tolerance for anything the kids did or their friends. These dogs were nanny dogs.

I might be in the kitchen doing dishes and my 2 yr. old son is right there near me. I watch him, but look back at the dishes. In a moment, my son is falling off a chair onto the dog. A few seconds of looking away is all it takes. Impractical and ridiculous to think you can watch a kid literally every second unless the dog is shut away much of the time. As it turned out, our GSD was not perturbed in the least if my son fell on him. If he didn't like something, he'd walk walk away. Mistakes happen. It is good to get a sturdy dog with a stable temperament or shut the dog away unless it's kid time. (that wouldn't have worked in my family) Or wait till the kids are a tad older.

Kids are all different in their personalities. Supervision is definitely important, but slip-ups do happen. People make mistakes about dogs all the time....really horrible ones. This one...this misjudgement about what kind of dog to get means the dog needs a new home. There are mistakes that people make with dogs which destory the dogs' lives....abuse, neglect, unkindness, fighting dogs.....you name it. This woman's mistake is nothing when compared to what could and does happen to dogs all the time. She did the responsible thing and found him a new and better home.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
No, I don't get it now. What are you mocking her for then?

So she messed up and got the wrong sized dog for her particular child. Some kids are easy to teach around animals. Some are much more difficult. It is not easy to supervise a kid every second around a dog. Believe me. I've had a few dogs when my kids were young.

I purposely got a little bit older GSD when my daughter was 1-1/2, thinking bigger would be better....sturdier and if she turned out to be a wild child, the pup would stand a better chance. As it turned out, when Ajax would be lying on the floor and I would tell Emily to be very careful not to step on his tail or fall on him, she squatted down in that cute posture little ones have and patted him ever so gently and side stepped very carefully way around him, really watching out for his tail. LOL. She turned out to be so gentle and careful with the dog. But parents can't always predict ahead what their kids are going to be like. I mean...we could have gotten a younger puppy or even a toy breed if we had wanted to. My son was another story. He followed and chased our kitten around...just really bothered him... and I had to constantly be on him.

This person made a boo boo probably in getting the toy breed. But she made sure to rectify it and find a more suitable home. I've seen people allow their kids to terrorize their dogs and cats. Supervising is definitely important. But there are still going to be moments here and there, where people aren't watching for a minute. I didn't supervise my kids around our GSD or Lab, once the kids were a few years old. The dogs were so trustworthy and had an off the charts kind of tolerance for anything the kids did or their friends. These dogs were nanny dogs.

I might be in the kitchen doing dishes and my 2 yr. old son is right there near me. I watch him, but look back at the dishes. In a moment, my son is falling off a chair onto the dog. A few seconds of looking away is all it takes. Impractical and ridiculous to think you can watch a kid literally every second unless the dog is shut away much of the time. As it turned out, our GSD was not perturbed in the least if my son fell on him. If he didn't like something, he'd walk walk away. Mistakes happen. It is good to get a sturdy dog with a stable temperament or shut the dog away unless it's kid time. (that wouldn't have worked in my family) Or wait till the kids are a tad older.

Kids are all different in their personalities. Supervision is definitely important, but slip-ups do happen. People make mistakes about dogs all the time....really horrible ones. This one...this misjudgement about what kind of dog to get means the dog needs a new home. There are mistakes that people make with dogs which destory the dogs' lives....abuse, neglect, unkindness, fighting dogs.....you name it. This woman's mistake is nothing when compared to what could and does happen to dogs all the time. She did the responsible thing and found him a new and better home.
Will you stop making so much sense! It completely takes away from the original intent of the post!