Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Doesn't matter if he or she was the runt, genetics come into play of who is behind them in the pedigree and their size. Jrts can have very large skulls and c-sections are not uncommon.

My last c-section bill was over $750.00 and of course there were added bills later for other problems. With lost wages, that litter cost me thousands, actually it was close to five thousand and that included the stud fee for 3 pups.

And there is also the risk of Eclampsia which is common for small breeds when in whelp and especially during lactation. If they feed a cheap food that risk is much higher. If they don't know the signs and don't seek immediate Vet care, the bitch is guaranteed to die..........orphaned pups now to raise.

If the pair only bred once, risk of a singleton pup...........c-section.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:21 PM
orange iguanas.

I'm working on the e-spay.

One of my other friends is a loooot closer to the family (like, she hangs out with our friend's mom, that's what the relationship is like), so she's gonna talk to them tomorrow about it. I'm not sure how the conversation came up today but I told her that the possibility of Jewels needing a c-section is VERY likely (I don't know how true that is), but even if she doesn't need medical intervention... who is going to pay for the pups for 12 weeks? She wasn't thrilled about the pregnancy either but I think she just assumed that everything would work out just fine... and it seems I brought her down to reality, so she's gonna talk to them about an e-spay.

I gave her a link to a rescue with a spay/neuter program, you fill out an application and depending on that they'll pay for between 10-100% of the costs. Honestly I think they could qualify for 100%, or at least very close to that.

So, we'll see... I'm trying.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Good luck, hopefully they understand how much of risk they are putting her in and do the spay. Most Vets will do a abort/spay before 30 days of possible gestation, so they don't have much time.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:53 PM
orange iguanas.

Ugh I know, I hope this isn't something they sit and ponder about... it really shouldn't be that difficult of a decision. They don't have the money for puppies, period.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 AM
BusterLove

I hate these situations, I work with a friend I've know for years. She has a very human agro little pom mix and he's already fathered a couple of litters and she wants him to have more. Sure he's a good looking dog but his attitude is terrible. I'm the only person outside his family that can touch him and thats only becauise I lived at their house for a week and have spent 40 hours a week there since putting a lot of effort into making him comfortable with me.
I've had long conversations about it with her and she won't get past "but some people want to continue that "line""... ergh.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Remembering Casey ♥

Please update when you hear anything **Fingers are all crossed**
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
orange iguanas.

This is old but I just want to update that she is very pregnant and will probably pop any day now.
I'm honestly expecting some sort of tragedy to occur. I just don't see this going smoothly at all.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Show Dog

Keep us updated.