Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-26-2009, 02:42 AM
Top Dog

As others have already said, demodex isn't actually contagious, so as far as you and your other animals go, you have nothing to worry about.

There are multiple treatemnt options for deomdex now - from what the website says, I would think she's already on some sort of treatment program fori t, so I'd probably stick with what they're doing. Personally, we don't use Mitaban anymore, as it's too dangerous compared to the other things. Promeris (I think that's the one...you'd have to ask your vet) is a topical that has been recently approved for treatment of demodex, but I've heard it smells horrid. The other thing we use at work most often is oral ivermectin, but you have to be careful about ivermectin sensitivities, and some dogs just can't have it (in the case they can't take either the ivermectin or the Promeris, you'd pretty much have to go with the mitaban).

Once you get past the mange, she's really quite adorable Good luck if you decide to adopt her!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:42 AM
LoveMyBully

Thanks everyone. We've decided to hold off for now. I know demodectic mange isn't contagious, I was just worried about the stress of adding a new dog in reference to Dozer. But now Dozer has a little something that we need to focus on, separate post.
Mikey (6)
Millie the Cat (7)
Dozer the Bulldog (5)