Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Pit bulls and dog parks

I took Juno to the dog park today and after a while a couple pitties showed up. One of them came over to Juno and did the play bow, wiggle butt thing and they were getting along fine, the dog wasn't much bigger than Juno and they had a similar style of play. Fine and dandy.

So we start walking away and then Juno decides she wasn't done playing, so she runs back over to the pit bull. They start chasing each other and I'm not sure what made her do this at the particular moment, but Juno then decided to flop over on her back (she normally is pretty submissive and will do this when INITIALLY meeting a dog) and the pit bull then got this rather aggressive sounding growl, started going at her neck (not sure if he was biting or what? But I don't see any signs of anything on her) and Juno just yelped and yelped and yelped, and he was not going to back off of her.

This dog's owner does NOTHING and someone else went over and pulled the dog off of Juno. I grab Juno and am putting her leash on her so we can get out asap, and both the pit bulls are all over us... at this point I guess the owner must have came over, I was too pissed off to notice and my mom asks him, "can you please grab your dog?" His response? "Don't worry, he doesn't bite." To which my mom just repeated GRAB YOUR DOG.

Now, I've read numerous places that dog-aggression in pit bulls is just something to expect and be prepared for. I always assumed, well, any dog of any breed can be DA so as long as a pit bull is properly socialized, that shouldn't be an issue. But now I'm starting to rethink that, because this dog totally initiated the play and they seemed completely fine until he just... snapped.

Sooo, opinions? Should pit bull owners be bringing their dogs to dog parks?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Taxiderpy

I wasn't there and didn't see it, but if he just "snapped" and started attacking her she would probably be dead. Not fine without any marks.

It sounds like the dog had bad manners and was being a pushy jerk at her when she rolled for him. The owner should have gotten his dogs away from you guys when he saw that they were mobbing you guys as you tried to leash your dog. And especially after you asked him to, that is just totally rude.

ETA: what that run run run run run run *flop* behavior means is basically "Time out! Lemme catch my breath for a second!" and he mobbed her instead of letting her catch her breath, and she didn't like it (understandable!)
Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 AM

I personally don't think a pitbull should be in a dog park.
That being said I also wouldn't trust a siberian husky off
leash. The breed of the dog does matter.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

I don't think breed matters.

If you're not comfortable with a particular breed, put your dog on a leash and take it home when one shows up.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Angels in waiting....

Even a Pit Bull that is very well socialized and gets along with dogs should not go to a dog park because no matter what dog starts the fight the Pit Bull will get the blame. Now I am not saying your dog cause this. Don't take it that way. As a Pit Bull owner and someone who knows the breed and it's likelihood to be DA I would NEVER put my dog up for failure by taking him to a dog park. Sure I'll take him to a friends, let him have a play-date, but in a small controlled area where I know I can take control quickly should something arise. This breed is prone to DA. VERY prone to DA. Another thing people need to realize is DA is NOT HA!

Thanks K9Krazee!

Click Please>
Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Never trust a pitbull not to fight. You can't socialize DA out of a dog either. DA dogs don't just "snap" it develops gradually as the dog grows up. It could appear as if it came out of nowhere, but that's usually because the dogs owner misses the warning signs.

That said, it sounds like that dog was just overly pushy and rude. It seems like entering and exiting the park is usually when tensions are highest and most likely to cause problems.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 AM
overdogged

i recently read a comment that was something like "all dogs can fight, pit bulls just tend to do it better" and that pretty much sums it up for me. imo, no, pit bulls do not belong in dog parks.

bad rap says no dog parks for pit bulls.
so does pit bull rescue central.

these are folks with tons more experience with the breed than i'll ever have, and while badrap has (especially recently) adopted the tone that all dogs are individuals and that breed is somehow a stereotype, they still don't buy into pit bulls in dog parks as a safe option.

i think there are cold pit bulls out there who would do fine in a dog park situation, but the problem is, you're testing and trusting that presumed coldness with the lives and well-being of other peoples' dogs. and if it goes wrong, you could lose your dog and i could lose my dog, because people are always looking for another good excuse to ban them.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I wasn't there and didn't see it, but if he just "snapped" and started attacking her she would probably be dead. Not fine without any marks.

It sounds like the dog had bad manners and was being a pushy jerk at her when she rolled for him. The owner should have gotten his dogs away from you guys when he saw that they were mobbing you guys as you tried to leash your dog. And especially after you asked him to, that is just totally rude.

ETA: what that run run run run run run *flop* behavior means is basically "Time out! Lemme catch my breath for a second!" and he mobbed her instead of letting her catch her breath, and she didn't like it (understandable!)
I agree with this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i recently read a comment that was something like "all dogs can fight, pit bulls just tend to do it better" and that pretty much sums it up for me. imo, no, pit bulls do not belong in dog parks.

bad rap says no dog parks for pit bulls.
so does pit bull rescue central.

these are folks with tons more experience with the breed than i'll ever have, and while badrap has (especially recently) adopted the tone that all dogs are individuals and that breed is somehow a stereotype, they still don't buy into pit bulls in dog parks as a safe option.

i think there are cold pit bulls out there who would do fine in a dog park situation, but the problem is, you're testing and trusting that presumed coldness with the lives and well-being of other peoples' dogs. and if it goes wrong, you could lose your dog and i could lose my dog, because people are always looking for another good excuse to ban them.
I also agree with this!

My Boston and my APBT play together all the time...I have a fenced backyard so I don't need to go to the DP (Nor do I want to)....most of the time my guys sound like they are about to murder each other...but I know them and I know what play sounds like....

With out see the situation first hand I would say that when your pup went into that submissive stance the other dog decided to push it and show off...I think if he was really going after your dog this would be a very different post....I also agree that the owner of the PB sounds like a jerk!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Top Dog

I know this is a very touchy subject but most dog parks are used by poor dog owners. I used to have no problem with Athena and then Sal at the dog parks but the one nearest my house had a guy with three Goldens who were very aggressive and another guy with a crazy dalmatian. I stop going there because of those two guys bringing DA dogs to the park. Oddly I never hear people say you shouldn't bring those two breeds.

My point is that the Bullys I have had or known are usually more stable and dog friendly than the average Golden (no offense to the breed just my experience). Because of a few bad owners and the media Pitties are discriminated against; its not the breeds its our society.

I would challenge anyone and any dog to a "Friendly" contest and Sal would at defeat 99% of the dogs out there and tie the other 1%.

Where I now go is an "unofficial" dog park where everyone who goes there knows each other and for the most part the dogs all get along great and things are much more controlled.

I recommend you find some play buddies and try to arrange a play club of good dogs and responsible owners who train and vaccinate their dogs.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:36 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

no I dont think pits belong at dog parks. They are usually the ones who cause problems at the dog parks and a bunch of stupid people own pitties because they are so "tuff, and mocho"