Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 10-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

I have a better idea. How about calling your local food bank and asking them if they accept dog food for people's pets. If they do not ask them if they would be willing to. Then donate to the food shelter if they are willing.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

We could have a coupon link here ....a sticky !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Show Dog

I've been thinking the same. Even when I was active before there were times when folks had issues from job loss/sudden bills etc. This was before the current state of the economy. I wonder if it would be more beneficial to set up a fund of sorts rather than mailing random baggies of food? Of course that is a nightmare in itself as money usually turns out to be a sticky subject.

Also, most shelters here would give you a bag of food if you came in and explained the situation to them. Maybe we could work up a list of ideas for when push has hit shove in the face for people to be aware of?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Just try me..

Gift certificates?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Angels in waiting....

^^This, there was a time when I was younger that we ran out of money and dog food and wouldn't have the money for more until a couple weeks later. I posted on the forum I went to back then (closed now...it became a ghost forum) and asked for some help. It hurt my pride but I swallowed it. (My dad always told me the bigger person will swallow their pride and ask for help rather it hurts or not) I was afraid to ask to because I wasn't sure how people would react but people sent me gift certificates for dog food, some people even sent small care packages with the certificates that had a small bag of treats or a dog food roll (the sample things, small dog food rolls) It was very helpful and we got through until we could get more food and even got a little training done. I miss a lot of people that were on that forum, wish there was a way to find them again.

Thanks K9Krazee!

Click Please>
Old 10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Very Food Agressive

Just for an idea of cost: I sent about 5 or 6 lbs of food in a flatrate box and it got there the next day (It was in the same state though) It was something like $5.11, not that bad. And, I could have put way more food in the box but I didn't know how big it was going to be. You can put up to 70lbs in any flatrate box within the continental US so you really save a lot on the shipping because weight isn't a factor.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm All Ears

I would love to help if we could figure out a method that would work.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

What about posting links to free food/coupons? I've gotten free Nature's Variety food from their website before (Try It - Registration | Nature's Variety).
Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Resident fainting goat

Gift certificates to popular pet stores (petco, petsmart, etc...) would also be convenient
Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Gift certificates to popular pet stores (petco, petsmart, etc...) would also be convenient
Heck, even Walmart or Target could get someone by in a pinch. I know they don't sell anything of "premium" quality, but the Purina One stuff isn't too bad. I know that I wouldn't have an issue sending just about anyone who asked (once or twice LOL!) some cash for dog food. I'm super trusting, but also believe that I get more out of giving than the person gets from my giving if that makes sense. Basically if I get scammed, so be it...*my* heart was in the right place.