Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Default Seems a little high for instinct testing.

I just got off the phone with a local man who owns a sheep farm. I had called about doing an instinct test with Mina. I know the odds are against her having any natural instinct on sheep being she's an aussiexlab, but it's worth a shot right? And if she enjoys it whats the harm.

The thing is, he wants $100 just to do an instinct test. Now I'm not familiar with this, but it seems it would be a bit high?

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Not really, there is more involved in the test than putting your dog out in a pasture with the sheep and letting him go. He has to consider the safety of his animals, the impact an untrained dog might have on his animals, and the safety of your dog. A frirend of mine does herding with 2 border collies and he gives lessions. He charges 35 for a session and the session is about 15-20 minutes total. He also charges for a basic temperament test/evaluation before the dog is even allowed in the pasture. If he has to work your dog because you are not in good enough shape to do it yourself, it's double the cost.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

The thing is, the way he does his instinct test was explained to me this way. 'It's pretty simple, you'll bring your dog in on a leash and see if she shows any interest in the sheep and that's it.'

Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upendi&Mina View Post
The thing is, the way he does his instinct test was explained to me this way. 'It's pretty simple, you'll bring your dog in on a leash and see if she shows any interest in the sheep and that's it.'
if thats really all it is.. walking your leashed dog passed some sheep, i would say that $100 is way too high.

for that,I would just walk my dog passed a petting zoo or something lol or find someone with a farm that would be willing to let you come visit

now, if your dog was going to be in a pasture with them off lead... then I would understand. because then the fee would also include vetcare or something in case your dog nips one of his sheep or something
Old 10-27-2009, 01:30 PM
ACoops favorite

I don't think that's super high for an instinct herding test from things I've heard my breeder friend mention.

JMHO.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I've never had my dogs tested, but want to....

but IF that really is all he does... that does seem like a lot.... and I agree with Fran, I'd walk him past a petting zoo! LOL.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Water Junkie

Way too high. Stay far, far away, IMO. Where are you? I might be able to give you some contact info for some one in your area that would be reputable.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Kacee is a GSDx Lab and she has a full on herding instinct.

Theres this Goat (yea, A goat) that comes up from one of my "neighbors" yard. and It comes up and attacks myself and keely. And When kacee is hear she herds it out the drive way ! haha.. But the first time I noticed her herding was when we were wlalking the strawberry farm road and we went so far it that we got to the owners animal farm (He doesnt mind, I go see the horses all the time) And we walked past the sheep and she wanted in the gate! lol... The guy came out and we brought her in (ON leash) and she was trying to herd .. I did mine for free though :P.. but a hundred bucks seems pretty cheap IMO.. There are certain risks involved for the sheeo owner.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

I'm in southwest PA Lizmo, about equal distances from Pittsburgh and Harrisburg! I'd appreciate any info you might have.

Babymomma - If Mina were to be off leash at anytime I can understand the risk, but as it is all I'm basically going to do there is walk her past some old ewes.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upendi&Mina View Post
but as it is all I'm basically going to do there is walk her past some old ewes.
Well, for one thing, that doesn't even qualify as an instinct test. I don't know what can be tested just by walking a leashed dog past the sheep. And 100 does sound pretty steep, and way too high if that's really all he'll do with her.

An instinct test does require the dog to be in the pen with the stock, and might initially begin on leash to make sure the dog has some control, but more likely is loose or dragging a longline. To instinct test, you need to see more than whether or not the dog will turn her head to look at sheep. You need to see if the dog will chase, gather, drive, etc.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team