Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a collar...

I used to think expensive leather/custom/fancy collars were for purse dogs, but they are actually WELL worth the price if you buy from a reputable source. Fozzie's leather collars were $80 & $60, but they both still look flawless after 1+ years. I used to buy standard rolled leather collars from Petsmart or whatever, and they would last 1-2 years. I bought Gonzo a $50 rolled leather collar online from a really amazing leather company, and the difference is striking. This one only gets better with wear, and is unphased by constantly getting wet.

If they're going somewhere that I know they'll get filthy, like the trails where Fozzie loves rolling in unidentifiable substances, I usually throw on Lupine collars... but only because I don't feel like spending time cleaning the leather.
Is it getting wet with salt water or with fresh water?

Muffy isn't too hard on his collars... but he does LOVE to go swimming. I live right on the bay, but it's salt water and that's a general collar killer. Right now he has a $15 suede one from petco that is holding up all right... it's warn down in some places and the buckel part has some rust... It's not "pretty" but it works.

I was thinking of getting a paco collar or something... but I can't spend $100 on a collar to have it end up like the one he has on now.....

I know someone with a nice quality leather collar that is holding up amazingly... but her dog only goes into fresh water......

ETA: to answer your question Dizz, it depends on the dog. If I know a dog will have the same collar for YEARS than I don't mind spending $100 on it...

If I know the dog will destroy the collar within 1-2 years... than I'm a $20 and UNDER(like to stay around $10) person.....

So, for any type of cloth collar, I'd be more likely to buy something that's $10-15 than something that's around $40.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

My cut off was $30 a collar for custom thin rolled leather imported from England.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

Mine last for years ( rolled english leather ) so I don't mind spending . Ollie's wearing my Bear's collar ...antique !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM
<--------Orson

Depends on the collar.

I adore all the pretty, colorful collars. I think they look FAB on other dogs, LOL....but I won't spend more than $15 unless it's a good, tough, leather collar that will last. I have paid in the high $60's for a tough leather collar
Old 10-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I bought the pink skull one in a martingale - nice, pretty, but cheap enough not to care if (when) it gets filthy

When I meet a rich bachelor he can buy her designer collars.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I have had my lupine collars for 3 years and they look new. I throw them in the wash every other month too. my guys get in the pond on top of that.

they were under $10 and they look awesome, many patterns to choose from

Lupine® - Medium Dog Products
Lupine® - Small Dog Products
Lupine® - Large Dog Products
Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 PM
koda bear

I would have to say my cutoff for a collar is about $25 maybe an exception if it is durable and looks nice on her like the leather one she has now.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Top Dog

I don't spend a lot on any single collar. I only use them when I take my dog out anyway. But, I do have a ton of collars and leashes xD
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Rad! I think Bo is definately a pink skull girl!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/