Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Default Cat Food

Currently I have my 2 cats and 3 ferrets all on Innova Evo Feline. This stuff is a great food, but it's also about $45 for a 15 pound bag. I used to have the cats on NutroMax and the Evo would last the ferrets for several months, but now that the kitties are on it too it goes way too fast.

I'd like to switch at least the cats to something less expensive, but I want to try to keep feeding them a somewhat decent food. NutroMax was definitely in the price range I liked (18 pounds for about $25) and lasted for a long time for two cats. However Nutro seems to have a lot of recalls, and it's a pretty big step down from Evo so I don't think I want to put them back on that again if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent cat food that sells in a bag of around 20 pounds for $20-$30?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Very Food Agressive

Taste of the Wild: Rocky Mountain Feline Formula, it's still grain free and the price is about half the Evo. You can get a 23lb bag for about 25-30.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

That looks pretty good, and the ingredients don't look too far off from Evo. The largest bag I can find online seems to be about 15 pounds for $26, which still isn't too bad but I'd prefer not to have to have food shipped (unless of course shipping is free). Where do you get a 23 pound bag?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Yorkie Love

I feed California Natural to the cats... It is relatively inexpensive.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Very Food Agressive

I get it at the dog shop about two blocks from my apt. Apparently you're right though and it's not 23 lbs. I wonder where I got that number from. Probably the price was $23 for a 15lb bag. This is my shop's website Phydeaux:

You can go to Taste of the Wild : Home and do a store locate to find out who deals TotW near you.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Taxiderpy

We had to switch Sammy to the costco brand cat food, and it's not too bad and in your price range. The one premium food that she actually thrived on (because evo, solid gold, etc. didn't do anything for her weight loss) was Nature's Logic rabbit formula. She did awesome on that. The place that had it stopped carrying it though, and we can't get it anywhere else.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Top Dog

We feed TOTW here as well and have for over a year. All of the cats look great and all do well on the food..no hairballs, no pukes, etc.