Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

i guess I misunderstood the previous 2 pages of posts about how worthless this mag is, I just assumed it did have something to do with "worth"
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
I think he's just using his line of bowls, water, collars, toys, etc... and now mags, to make enough money so when everyone's "Ceasar trained" dogs turn around and bite their owner's face off, he'll have enough to pay all the lawsuits and still retire... He has a collar that I really really like.... but I refuse to buy it, because I'm not going to give my money to help him promote his ways.

No magazines here, but a book. You can expect to see my worthwhile book in book stores everywhere. When can you expect it? Now that's a good question. I still have lots of work to put into it.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
So, i'm wondering when any of you will be publishing a "worthwhile" magazine and when we can expect to see it on newstands?
So someone has to have published a magazine in order to declare one worthless?

By that logic, someone has to have developed a vaccine in order to decide that one is not worth receiving, no?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
So someone has to have published a magazine in order to declare one worthless?

By that logic, someone has to have developed a vaccine in order to decide that one is not worth receiving, no?
this is good. Actually for a year and half I worked with a Dr. Steve Callister thru UW La Crosse in the middle to late 90's on a lyme vaccine and techniques for serodiagnosis. So yeah, even though that particular one was not licensed at the time, a similiar one has since been. So I think I can safely say I have a bit of knowledge when it comes to vaccines.

so what mag do you work for?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Obey the Toad.

Well, as someone with a BA in English who served on advisory committees for professors and wrote a number of critical papers dealing with everything from films to articles to literature, I can safely say that I know a bit about whether or not a dog training magazine is worth my time. However, I'm fairly certain that without that schooling I'd be able to figure it out, and that's the point.

Whether or not something has "worth" is entirely up to who's in the market. I don't deer hunt, nor do I have any interest in deer hunting, so a deer hunting magazine is worthless to me. Most people on this thread don't think highly of CM's training methods, therefore to them an entire magazine revolving around CM and his training methods would be pretty worthless.

If you are a CM fan, fantastic! Rock on with your bad self--you now have an entire Dog Whispering magazine to enjoy (I have nothing against CM--I take bits and pieces of knowledge from lots of dog trainers). However, to suggest that only people who have their own magazines are qualified to have an opinion as to whether they'd want a certain magazine is just silly.

If you are talking monetary worth--I absolutely think that magazine will make money. On top of being charismatic and good looking CM is a marketing genius. He could probably bottle sh!t, slap a smiling picture of himself surrounded by his pack on it, and people would buy it. But worth from a business perspective and worth in the larger sense of what the magazine will contribute to the dog world are two different things.

Either way, who cares? The people who don't like him will thumb through it in Barnes & Nobles and shake their heads in dismay, those that are fans will buy it and enjoy it and somehow life will go on.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Last edited by sillysally; 10-19-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Well, as someone with a BA in English who served on advisory committees for professors and wrote a number of critical papers dealing with everything from films to articles to literature, I can safely say that I know a bit about whether or not a dog training magazine is worth my time. However, I'm fairly certain that without that schooling I'd be able to figure it out, and that's the point.

Whether or not something has "worth" is entirely up to who's in the market. I don't deer hunt, nor do I have any interest in deer hunting, so a deer hunting magazine is worthless to me. Most people on this thread don't think highly of CM's training methods, therefore to them an entire magazine revolving around CM and his training methods would be pretty worthless.

If you are a CM fan, fantastic! Rock on with your bad self--you now have an entire Dog Whispering magazine to enjoy (I have nothing against CM--I take bits and pieces of knowledge from lots of dog trainers). However, to suggest that only people who have their own magazines are qualified to have an opinion as to whether they'd want a certain magazine is just silly.

If you are talking monetary worth--I absolutely think that magazine will make money. On top of being charismatic and good looking CM is a marketing genius. He could probably bottle sh!t, slap a smiling picture of himself surrounded by his pack on it, and people would buy it. But worth from a business perspective and worth in the larger sense of what the magazine will contribute to the dog world are two different things.

Either way, who cares? The people who don't like him will thumb through it in Barnes & Nobles and shake their heads in dismay, those that are fans will buy it and enjoy it and somehow life will go on.

Yup....worth or value is determined by the purchaser. (or non purchaser, as the case may be)

Quote:
However, to suggest that only people who have their own magazines are qualified to have an opinion as to whether they'd want a certain magazine is just silly.
It's not just silly. It's something else. I haven't figured out what adjective yet, but when I do, I'll let you know.

Quote:
He could probably bottle sh!t, slap a smiling picture of himself surrounded by his pack on it, and people would buy it.
Yes sirrrreeeeee. The same fans who buy his magazines and books, water and dog food, may want the whole collection of CM's inventions.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
It's not just silly. It's something else. I haven't figured out what adjective yet, but when I do, I'll let you know.

That's exactly why I haven't replied to the comment...I haven't figured out the best wording for a response.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
he he (BB you have probably already seen this.. I saw it on ultimatedressage) YouTube - How to teach Piaffe
LOL!! I wonder if I could teach my Belgians to piaffe that way!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
So, i'm wondering when any of you will be publishing a "worthwhile" magazine and when we can expect to see it on newstands?
Oh, ok. So if we critisize Hitler will you ask us when we will be running a government to almost scary control standards?

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

did somebody just make a Hitler reference?

I really didn't think my point would be this lost on people, but then the fact that it was only further proves the point.