Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Very Food Agressive

I called the dog evil based on what she did to my dog and not her breed. I'd have made the same post if there was a poodle attacking my dog at the park there is absolutely nothing breedist about my post. If any dog that I had to live in close proximity to attacked my dog it would be evil to me and I would be approaching the management about the situation. The dog's breed was brought up because it shouldn't be in this complex in the first place per the rule which the people living here expect to be followed.

Lucky you having the option to take your dogs places that they can run without a dog park. There is not a single place in my town that allows dog's off leash that is not a dog park and I'm not going to confine my dog indefinitely because of the chance of a fight. She's been there for months with no problems and is a regular, this dog is not *shrugs* There have been other scuffles at this park but never with my dog because all she does is submit and everyone just gets on with it.

The dog park is separate from my apartment complex which is why I am also dis-inclined to tell the management about the fight. However the dog is somewhat of a nuisance and technically a disallowed breed. If everyone else can follow the rules and not own a pittie /rottie/gsd/perceived aggressive breed or not live here if they do, why can't these people?

Also, I'm not about to go out and get a pitt bull as soon as I get a place that allows them. I would have looked into rescuing one from a shelter if they had been allowed though because I know they need good knowledgeable homes. And just because I call the one dog, that happens to be a pitt bull, evil doesn't mean that's how I think of the breed as a whole. If I called a chihuahua evil would it even be an issue?

The majority of the dogs at my particular park are pitts or pitt mixes and they have no caused any serious problems. I have no issue with the breed, They're actually my favorite to love on in the park.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
However the dog is somewhat of a nuisance and technically a disallowed breed. If everyone else can follow the rules and not own a pittie /rottie/gsd/perceived aggressive breed or not live here if they do, why can't these people?
They probably got rid of their dogs
If a pit bull owner needs to rent they are in trouble. I'd bet they couldn't find a place that allowed pit bulls, almost no place does. So they could dump her in a shelter like most people do, rehome assuming they had enough time and could find someone willing to take a dog aggressive pit bull, live on the street with their dog or sneak him in and hope no one noticed. Not saying this person actually faced this problem but it is a VERY real possibility.
I also want to mention that if you do report them there is a very real possibility the dog will end up dead, if the people are not willing to move I'd say doggy goes to nearest shelter. I don't know what your shelters are like though, perhaps they are mainly no kill.

I would personally have a talk with the owner about the dog park incident. Perhaps tell them if you see them at the dog park again you will report them to housing.

pit bulls are a commonly DA breed, this behavior does not make the dog evil. I think that is what elegy was saying, that you consider DA dogs evil, Chihuahua or pit bull being DA does not make the dog evil. I understand you are upset and perhaps feel the dog was at fault in some way. But it was not a dog problem, this was an owner problem. They should not have brought their dog to a dog park. DA dogs are fine, when they are not allowed to act out their DA, it's the owner's job to not let that happen.

I am not trying to take this person's side, perhaps I'm speaking on behalf of the pit bull since his owners are too stupid to make sure he and his breed are not tarnished by his behavior.
I am very sorry that you had to go through that and am very glad your dog is okay. I hope you have no more incidents like that and hope you and your neighbor can resolve this issue without any hard feelings.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:46 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
And just because I call the one dog, that happens to be a pitt bull, evil doesn't mean that's how I think of the breed as a whole. If I called a chihuahua evil would it even be an issue?
well, yeah, because i don't see dog aggression as making a dog "evil", and if you want to own a pit bull in the future, i think that's something that you really need to understand.

i am lucky to have a yard and to have access to my parents' yard for my dogs to run, but if i didn't, i'd find other ways to exercise them. people with dog aggressive dogs do it all the time.

and i'm not saying that's what you need to do, but i cannot for the life of me understand why you'd loose your dog in a park with a dog who makes you uncomfortable and who you feel had taken issue with your dog previously.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Very Food Agressive

I don't even think all DA dogs are evil. DA dogs do fine if treated properly and kept in one dog house holds. I called this one dog evil because it specifically attacked my dog. That is the only reason.

I realize I should have clarified this earlier. For all I know this dog is not DA. It didn't seem to be bothered at all by the other dog playing in the park with it and seemed happy enough to be there with the hound mix. I think the recognition of Izzy as a dog from the apartment complex that she could never get to was somewhat of a catalyst. If this dog has no problems with other dogs I understand it is not DA, that fact that it has a personal problem with my dog does make it a problem for me despite it's breed, not because of it.

And trying to make me feel bad about reporting a dog that shouldn't be here in the first place isn't going to change my course of action. I know how things can go for a pitty in this town (There are actually a lot with great homes here since they are not banned from all complexes) and there are other (cheaper actually) places these people could have lived. This is beside the fact that in this particular place they are not an accepted breed, simply complex, not town, rules.

Heck, there's a dog living next door that is what looks to be a purebred Eskie that appears to hate everything around it but the owners keep it on a short leash, don't take it out if there is another dog in the lawn and gives people a wide berth and I appreciate that. A person with a dog that is ill behaved probably knows it, this lady didn't look like an idiot. I am still wondering if it was something about Izzy in particular that set her off.

In the end, it is up to me what I do about this issue and I will take input into consideration. I may just change dog parks to avoid later confrontation with this dog in particular but the instant something happens on apartment property the dog will be reported no questions asked.

ETA: In response to Elegy, I did not want Izzy loosed in the park honestly, I wanted to go to the small dog section and get away. Believe me, I wanted nothing to do with the dog. My idiot boyfriend let her off her leash and opened the door. He's not allowed to go with me to parks anymore.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I know you said you weren't dismissing it but that seems like an ignorant comment to me. Doesn't matter what breed the dog was, if it's biting, growling and barking and not letting go with a purpose, it's attacking mine.
*sigh* It would be nice if you could keep the complaint to the dog's actions and not the breed Not blaming you if you can't, but you know how it is . . . ((((((HUGS))))))

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I have to say I'm kind of uncomfortable with the language in your original post- the dog being "evil" and such. The dog is just being a pit bull. It's not her fault she's owned by idiots. As for your last sentence, well, what if she were not a banned breed? Would it really change the situation? And you want to own a pit bull?

This is yet another example of why I don't like dog parks, why I'd never take a dog of any breed to a dog park, and why pit bulls don't belong in dog parks. That poor dog was set up to fail from the beginning. And even though she had a hold on your dog, that she didn't leave puncture wounds says that she was using some amount of restraint, even though your dog has a thick ruff. Dogs who want to put holes in other dogs do so, no matter what the breed.
^This. Dogs that are not sociable with other dogs are not "evil," even if they go after *your* dog. I don't think for a second that the dobe that keeps trying to get Jack at class (Jack is also submissive and will not do a thing about another dog attacking him) is doing so because he is "evil." He is doing so because he is dog aggressive and the owner does not properly control him.

Personally, I would not report the dog. First of all, you are not even entirely sure its was the same dog. Second of all, the only offense the dog seems to be committing other than being a pit bull is barking from her house at people passing by. That's pretty normal dog behavior. Dogs that love other dogs and adore all people often bark at passersby from their homes. The owner (if it is even the same dog) took her to the DP, which was dumb, but does not let the dog off leash in the complex, etc.

BTW--I HAVE had dogs "jump" Jack and Sally in this manner before, so I understand it's upsetting, but if the same thing happened to one of my dogs there is no way I would then run to the management about it.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Water Junkie

If you're not sure it's the same dog, I personally don't think there is anything for you to do.

If you were sure it was the same dog/owner, then yes, I would report it to managment ONLY because they are not obeying the rules. That's just me. I don't like liars.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Very Food Agressive

Evil ***8211;adjective
1. morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
2. harmful; injurious: evil laws.
3. characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
4. due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
5. marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.

By these definitions of evil, my one sentence that is apparently setting people off is not incorrect. I did not say the dog attacked Izzy because it was evil, it's actions in attacking her were evil in the literal sense.

The only reason the breed of this dog matters is because of the apartment's rules. I would have mentioned the breed of the dog no matter what it was when describing the incident. The post would have been shorter because I wouldn't have had to be living near this dog but that would have been the only change. I've wondered if I should report the Eskie next door because it's either reactive to everything or leash reactive (I think it's the latter) and could be hazardous to other tennants.

I'm really not trying to further demonize Pitties, they have enough to deal with as it is. My stating the breed was simply an observation.

I haven't seen the dog in the neighbor's window/on the patio since yesterday, I wonder if they're keeping her deeper in the house now *shrugs* Unless something happens again on apartment property with this exact dog, I'm not going to report them. It would be unfair of me to report a dog that for all I know has never been to the park and is otherwise well behaved outside it's loud mouth because of one bad experience with a similarly patterned/built dog.

That said, I'm done here

Old 10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Big Dog

I understand the frustration, however, I do not think its your business to rat out a neighbor until their dog has actually done something harmful at the apartment, you have made it clear you are not positive if it was the same dog. If the barking is annoying you, which I understand its annoying but its a dog, then tell the front office that, not "oh I think its a Pit Bull" ...my dogs barked over the balcony at my old apt and I saw nothing wrong with it as long as I brought them in if it became obsessive. I agree with the poster who said this person may have not been able to find another place and why should someone get rid of their pet just because its a particular breed? Times suck right now and too many Pit Bulls are losing their lives as it is.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I have to say I'm kind of uncomfortable with the language in your original post- the dog being "evil" and such. The dog is just being a pit bull. It's not her fault she's owned by idiots. As for your last sentence, well, what if she were not a banned breed? Would it really change the situation? And you want to own a pit bull?

This is yet another example of why I don't like dog parks, why I'd never take a dog of any breed to a dog park, and why pit bulls don't belong in dog parks. That poor dog was set up to fail from the beginning. And even though she had a hold on your dog, that she didn't leave puncture wounds says that she was using some amount of restraint, even though your dog has a thick ruff. Dogs who want to put holes in other dogs do so, no matter what the breed.

I don't know whether I'd report the dog or not. Is this dog park in your complex or is it a separate park? Because if the dog was off leash in a dog park where any dog is allowed, well, it sucks and it's not at all appropriate that the dog was there, but fights happen at dog parks. If the same event happened in your front yard when your dog was leashed and the other dog was illegally offleash, I'd absolutely report it, but you were both in an offleash dog park, and IMO being there means accepting some level of risk.

Thank you, elegy.

This dog is not evil all because you chose to not like her "breed". Don't take out your frustration and anger on the dog when it should be directed onto the owners.

I've owned some severely DA dogs in the past 13 years. NEVER have I had a dog attack someone else's dog. But I have had other people's dogs, never another "pit bull" mind you, attack my dogs.

Take the issue up with the owners. They are the irresponsible ones in this situation.