Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
ACoops favorite

Huh. I think alot of dogs are like that. I know that shepherds are very one-person-centric and don't like to be in the company of strangers with out the benefit of having "mom" or "dad" there.

Mia just sounds like she's very bonded to you. If you want to loosen that a bit, I'd do doggy day care once or twice a week.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

If it's something you want to work on, I would set up random people that she both knows and likes and that she doesn't know and have them hold her leash and give her treats with you at varying distances in sight - start out fairly close and gradually move further away, eventually being able to go out of sight. Also gradually increasing the duration. It's really no different than "stay" training, just someone is holding onto her leash.

You can even work more on stays without someone holding her and work up to doing out of sight stays in general.

My dogs don't particularly like it if someone else holds them and I disappear, which IMO is fairly normal, but I can put them on a down, hand the leash over and leave and they are simply doing a down stay. It doesn't matter at that point that someone is holding the leash.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Ben is worse then Mia in that regard, he HATES strangers.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 10-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
If it's something you want to work on, I would set up random people that she both knows and likes and that she doesn't know and have them hold her leash and give her treats with you at varying distances in sight - start out fairly close and gradually move further away, eventually being able to go out of sight. Also gradually increasing the duration. It's really no different than "stay" training, just someone is holding onto her leash.

You can even work more on stays without someone holding her and work up to doing out of sight stays in general.

My dogs don't particularly like it if someone else holds them and I disappear, which IMO is fairly normal, but I can put them on a down, hand the leash over and leave and they are simply doing a down stay. It doesn't matter at that point that someone is holding the leash.
I second this. Good advice. It is important for her to at least tolerate being in someone else's care.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I'll definitely be working on getting ehr more comfortable with other people. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Just try me..

I am working on that with Kat right now. She used to be fine for a few moments and then loose it and snarl and try to bite the hands of the person holding her. I just kept doing it and giving them treats to feed her (and telling them to saw 'ow' if she tries to mouth them as she responds very well to 'ow') Its been about a month and she is much much better now. She doesn't like it if I go too far away but she doesn't go ape **** anymore.

Dekka is quiet about it but she hates being left with anyone if I leave and will squirm and flail.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Felurian

I have been told that if I leave Kharma in the office at the store she croons and whines the entire time I'm gone.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian