Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Active Pup

Default This is kind of crappy...

Tessa and I walked a 4 mile trail in a county park. The trail was very wide, made of hard packed dirt. The county says it is to be shared by walkers, joggers, bicycle riders, and horseback riders.

Signs at the beginning of the trail clearly state that dogs must be leashed and pet owners must clean up after their pets.

About half a mile down the path, Tessa squatted, and a small plastic bag came out of my back pocket, got filled, and then dangled from my hand as we continued down the trail in search of a trash can.

We didn't find a trash can. Nope, not a single one throughout the remaining 3 and a half miles of our walk. We did, however, find over a dozen piles that make me think the trail is fairly popular with people riding horses.

This was my first experience walking a trail that is used by folks on horseback. I'm wondering if folks riding horses usually clean up after their equine companions, or if the "clean up after your pet" policy generally applies only to folks with dogs.

Anyone have any thoughts on what is expected of horseback riders? And do you think I should contact the park district and see if they'll put a "this means horses too" sign under the one that says "clean up after your pet?"

In any case, remind me to be real careful if I ever take Tessa for a walk on a path where folks ride elephants!

Rob

Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 AM
~Lisa~

people ride horses throuhg or dog park 9who does that? morons surley) and dont clean up. it makes us SO mad. yes I know horse poop is large, hard to clean up. and carrying a mucking rake is probably akward to do. but it should be done in public. it is rude. I hate paths thathave no garbage cans.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Top Dog

A few miles from here we have a beach that is five miles long. There is not one garbage can on it and not even in the rest rooms. They have a carry it in carry it out policy that actually works quite well. The beach is on a peninsula and one side is the bay the other side is the ocean. Not one place has a garbage can and in between Labor Day weekend and Memorial Day weekend summer you can only walk your dog on the bay side not the ocean side where all the sand is. Which means your dog can go in the bay but not the ocean.

I was there the day after Labor Day and Lola had a lot of fun running on the beach on her 20' leash. She squatted, I picked it up in a bag and carried it out, put it in the back of the truck and disposed of it when I got home.

As for horses, have you seen any "road apples" on the trails you were walking on?. A few weeks ago I was in Lancaster for puppy mill awareness day and seen a lot of "road apples" in the middle of the road and sides of the road where they get washed into the storm drains. Hope the water does not flow to their water source. The Amish are not required to pick up the "road apples" so I highly doubt the people are on the trails.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Not a lurker

What I'd like to know is that how do you expect someone on horseback to carry a shovel safely...and then a trash bag for the waste. Or do you think they should pick it up with their bare hands?
Not all horses are going to be "ok" with carrying such things, plastic bags make an odd noise, etc. The risk of stepping in horse apples is lower if you are looking where you are going (which you should be out hiking and such because of snakes anyway), much harder to miss a huge pile of horse poo than it is dog poo.

The only places I've seen with interest in cleaning it up are things like city parades.
Bun-Bag - Horse manure catcher or diaper. Sagle, Idaho

One thing, I'd MUCH rather step in horse apples than dog crap. There's a big difference in a carnivore/omnivores fecal matter and herbivore.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 AM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
What I'd like to know is that how do you expect someone on horseback to carry a shovel safely...and then a trash bag for the waste. Or do you think they should pick it up with their bare hands?
Not all horses are going to be "ok" with carrying such things, plastic bags make an odd noise, etc. The risk of stepping in horse apples is lower if you are looking where you are going (which you should be out hiking and such because of snakes anyway), much harder to miss a huge pile of horse poo than it is dog poo.

The only places I've seen with interest in cleaning it up are things like city parades.
Bun-Bag - Horse manure catcher or diaper. Sagle, Idaho

One thing, I'd MUCH rather step in horse apples than dog crap. There's a big difference in a carnivore/omnivores fecal matter and herbivore.

I understand it is hard to carry. they could put on those fabric bag things that catch horse poop. I cant stand it. I dont want my dog rolling in it, or eating it. One reason why i stopped bring him to the barn with me lol.

We dont have any deadly animals to be on watch forhere. So I dont watch eevry step I take. I just think it is rude not to clean it up on family hiking trails. I clean up my dog poop. even though after a day or 2 it will basicly be a white power going back in to the ground. its call courtsey. Espeacially when they ride through a freaking dog park, and leave that behind. we have almost had our park closed due to all the poop, and I would say 75% or more was horse poop, not even dog poop.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Not a lurker

I don't know, I don't ride on any "family" or hiking trails...that's the point of a horse, off-roading.

Still, there's no way in hell my horse would allow one of those contraptions on him to catch poop and carrying a shovel on a spooky horse would equal disaster.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 AM
~Lisa~

These are off roading trails. there is many differnt ones some are step and dangerouse, while others are safer. my point is there should be a way to pick it all up. as its massive and nasty to leave around.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

I've never heard of people picking up after horses. I'm dubious that the sign referred to them. To me they are more "livestock" than "pet", if you know what I mean. Also, they can pretty much drop horse poop while continually walking . . . It might be hard to NOTICE every time they poop, let alone pick it up.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Around here, one of the nicest places to take your dog offleash is Lynn Canyon Creek and it is also frequented by horses. I've never seen a problem.

I thought it was kinda weird that horses are never picked up after, I thought surely there would be enough complaints lol. I personally don't care and agree that herbivore doesn't even come close to carnivore crap. That said if I had a horse I would kick it off the trail, IF I noticed, which isn't always easy.

As far as a lack of garbage cans, I'll go out on a limb and say I just chuck it 50 ft + off the trail. No one will step in it, no one else's dog will eat it, and since I use biodegradable bags the whole thing is gone in short order.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Top Dog

As a horse owner and trail rider myself, riders don't dismount to clean up after their horses, however there are horse "diapers" that can be attached to a crouper strap on the back of the horse to catch the piles. I have used them, but the horse needs to be worked with on it usually. If they arn't used to a crouper, it may bother them some and cause some hopping around, as with the diaper hanging behind them. I found that if a horse isn't used to that feel, there will be slightly more than hopping around. That was just my experiance with diapers. Carriage horses in cities usually have to wear them. I think that if horseback riders are going to ride in public places where people walk, ride bikes etc... They should be required to wear diapers.