Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm All Ears

I have played tug with every dog I've owned that would play and I have never seen any issues arise out of it. Tug by itself isn't going to do any harm to a dog, jmo.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:50 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

well, tugging did harm tonight.

I hurt my wrist! I really shouldnt be tugging as much for my own health. I am just 23 and I have carpel tunnel (dog groomers curse perhaps? VERY common in groomers!)
I havent seen a doctor to know for sure, but i just know what that is what it is. Looked online, and I know about 5 people with carpel tunnel! three of them also being groomers.

I will have to teach hubby the rules of tug and give myself a break.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Will Work for Kibble

I was never particularly pro/anti tugging. I think most dogs are absolutely fine with it. We attempted tug after getting Capone for a confidence-building exercise. He was such a wuss, always cowering.

Capone never did get the hang of tug games... kind of just lets it go. Every once in a while, you get a half-hearted yank... but more often than not, he'll go belly-up or try to engage you in another type of play.

On the other hand, Maddie (or Fattie Maddie, as I like to call her) a friend's Golden, absolutely adores tugging and makes the most obscene noises. (No soft mouth there) But "that's enough" is all it takes to get her to drop her rope like it's on fire.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

My dogs love tug. Even Bruzer though he'll only play when the others are not around. He used to play with Gunnar when Gunnar was little. It's one of our main rewards when we do obedience with Gunnar. It's also a great tool for helping a young working or sport dog learn how to bite full.

As has been said a million times, you have to set the boundries and make the dog play by the rules. It's not hard to do.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:37 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I really don't see why it is such a big deal to wait until they are a bit older and at least not do this the first 8-10 weeks. I still wouldn't..nor would i let any family member. 3-5 months old...great time to introduce, but not wee small.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Just try me..

But you can start it at that age.. I don't know how you could stop them really.. unless you kept pups in a pretty sterile environment with no toys...
Old 10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
I really don't see why it is such a big deal to wait until they are a bit older and at least not do this the first 8-10 weeks. I still wouldn't..nor would i let any family member. 3-5 months old...great time to introduce, but not wee small.
Why don't you like to let them tug?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dogs View Post
I'm assuming this was posted because of what I said?

The majority of tug games are with me sitting on the floor, and yep, I do drag her from one side to the other (there is no "hard" shaking back and forth quickly) if that could cause her to develop neck issues, I think I'm screwed as she is much harder on her body in other ways without me than that would ever be.

and if it wasn't posted without influence of my post, oh well, there's a more detailed description so people don't think I'm shaking my dog's head off
Actually no, it is because I do a lot of dog sports and we see people whipping their dogs around all the time. It is highly recommended by vets/chiropractors that tugging shouldn't be done that way.

It is such a concern that there have been articles in Clean Run on the subject, plus I have attended several seminars where it has been discussed.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Actually no
Was just checking
Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
But smkie, the most informative time in a puppies life is between 6 wks (or younger) to 4 1/2 months old. It is also the time that most puppies learn bite inhibition. I have 5 pups at this time, they'll take a toy, all hang on and tug like crazy, other than it is cute to watch on a behavioural stand point it tells me a bunch about my pups. They have been tugging for over 3 weeks now with each other during play, they can get very excited and they teach each other to smarten up when a mistake is made. Now when we play with a pup at this time with a toy, why shouldn't we continue with the same lessons? So the pups also learn to be careful, they learn that the rules are the same if not higher when playing with people.