Dogsitting for my mom

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
So, my mom is going on vacation and I'm taking one of her dogs for a couple of weeks until she gets back.

She's a keeshond, and is beautiful and sweet and smart as they come.

What is the best way to introduce Abby to this new comer who will be effectively invading her space for three weeks?

I will be driving home on Friday and bringing Fleur back to Ohio with me on Saturday. I will post pictures so you can see her. She's an ex show dog and is quite stunning!

At least, I think so. :)

The BF and I thought we could maybe meet at the park for a mini play date to introduce them on neutral ground on Saturday then walk them until they're both exhausted and then bring them both into the house at the same time.

Fleur has a crate, so she'll have her own space. Fleur is spayed and is very good with all animals and people. She has no fear or dominance issues at all. It will be good to have her around for a while! :)

Fleur and Abby will be fed separately, because of Abby's food guarding issues.

Do you have any other advice?

Both will be crated during the day while we work, so they'll never be unsupervised together. Should we keep them both leashed until they're comfortable with eachother while in the house?

If Abby gets nippy and growly which she probably will, what is the best way to deal with this?

Thanks so much!!!!!!! Any help or advice is appreciated. I really want this to be a pleasant experience for everyone involved.

Poor Fleur. I feel like I'm bringing her into the lion's den, so to speak... :rolleyes:

cricketsmygirl

Angels in waiting....
When you introduce the dogs it would be best if they meet each other on leash before letting them loose together. If they seem uncomfortable with each other you may have to keep them separated at first or the whole time. If by chance nipping/growling occurs I would redirect. A firm "ENOUGH" and then a sit or down stay should be good enough depending on your dogs intentions. If an all out brawl happens I would separate and keep them separated.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I think you're pretty prepared, as you said, leaving them alone together is a nono, even if they seem to be getting along, you never know. and it would be horrible to come home to a fight

for first meeting, i would take them for a bit of a walk together side by side, then let them go to the park and let them play :)

as you said, feeding seperately and all that stuff will help

try to put away "long lasting food toys" like stuffed kongs, bull sticks.. those tend to be a big issue with resource guarding dogs or pair of dogs..

of course make sure to give abby plenty of attention, teach her that the new dog being around means MORE attention from her, not less

I don't know if this is what people are supposed to do. but for the first week or so of meetings, I left leads on the dogs to drag when I was with both of them letting them interact. just short 4 foot plain leads.. so if things got snippy and snarly, I had something to grab and take the dog away to a quiet room for time out.

lol my mom kept a blowhorn around to break up "awkward" situations, you know, hat moment when both dogs are very still.. maybe a growl, my mom would blow it and they would both snap out of it.

Members online

No members online now.