Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I don't walk them very often. The corgis are getting too sore to want to do much walking. They get to wander around the yard and house, but that's at their pace. If they want to move they can, if they want to lie down, that's fine too. I don't want to try to make them walk anywhere at this point. For the mals, a walk would be a nice warm up but that's about it. Some days I'll take them for a walk so they can explore things -- sniff, look at the scenery, socialization type stuff. They do get much harder - physically and mentally - workouts than a walk could ever be.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 PM

I try to do it everyday, 2-6 miles in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
I think walks are about more than just exercise. i think most dogs would get pretty bored of just seeing the same 4 walls and backyard every single day..

its nice for them to get out and walk, smell new things, see different things. and all that stuff IMO
I agree.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm All Ears

Being in an apartment you just have to walk a lot. There's really no other way to do it. We do at least 1 1/2 hours a day. We go leisurely for the most part. Sometimes we'll stop and add a 30 minute run in a field or something. They stop and smell things, hunt crickets and squirrels (and today frogs too). They get doted upon by other people and plus about half the time they get a car ride too, lol.

Keeping a dog like Mia in an apartment even though she is tiny is all about changing things up. Luckily I'm in walking distance of a park. So weekly we walk to the park twice, walk to campus 3-4 times. Other days we'll drive to one of three other parks and walk there. They like campus the best I think because there is a ton to see. It's great for their socializing too, they're expected to be around big groups of people almost every day on campus. I am pretty sure that's a lot of why my two are so well mannered on a leash and in what could potentially be a stressful situation.

It's the best feeling of the day when I see their little faces light up when I grab their leash. I can miss a day, 2 days is pushing it though if I want my sanity.

Last edited by Laurelin; 10-07-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
loose dogs primarily.

we have had bad experience after bad experience and at this point *i* am so freaking reactive that my dogs don't have a chance. i'll go hiking with a friend if i can cajole somebody into going (i'm too chicken to hike alone, especially since a friend died alone in the woods after falling while hiking), but around town? it's simply not worth the risk.

Same..

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 PM
orange iguanas.

I never walked the dogs much until getting Juno. Now for the most part we go every day, depending on the circumstances I might have to skip a couple days. We haven't gone for a walk since Saturday since it's been cold and rainy since then, and I'm freaking out like "omg it's been 3 days since she's been walked!"

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey goes for a walk every day, 2-5 times a day, usually. First one of the day is usually when my sister gets home from work (~3am) and the last is usually when she leaves for work (~10pm)
She is very annoying and energetic if she doesn't go for a walk, it's annoying. Even at almost 12 years old, still hasn't slowed down.
I walked her when I had broken bones in my foot, didn't matter to her if I was hurt or not. *shrugs*

However, I think it fully depends on the dog.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

I take Molly every day at noon to meet and play with her buddies at the community hall grounds, usually finish it off with a walk in the woods and a dip in the creek.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Yorkie Love

LOL @ Lola'sDad... that looks fun though, I bet Lola loves it.

I think walks are good for your dog but not the only way to achieve the goals intended... you can take them places to meet new people, see new things and exercise them in other ways.

Mine hardly ever get walked in the traditional sense. But they go more places and see more things than some people so I dont think they are lacking in the mental stimulation area. Plus they get plenty of exercise to keep their muscles toned and their weight healthy. Those two things (mental stimulation and exercise) are the main reasons for walks, so it is possible to get them without walks.

Even if you are dead set on walking your dog everyday, I certainly dont think you need to walk your dog with the flu! They surely can skip a day there.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

I admit, I didn't have a regular walking schedule for B for a while. Before the move, he had a dog walker, and got 1.5-2 hours/day. Since the move, he goes to daycare most days and I figured that plus walks a few times a week was enough.

But, since I'm increasing my own exercise, and he's a great exercise partner, he's been getting lots and lots of long walks, and a bit of running. Even when he's been running around all day at daycare, he gets super excited when I ask him if he wants to go for a walk. We go everyday, rain or shine (more for me -- if I let myself "get away" with it, then I may not get back to it -- so we were out in the pouring rain today, lol).
Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Taxiderpy

Strider goes everywhere with me since he's my service dog, and we probably walk anywhere from 2-5 miles on an average day.

Charlie I don't usually take on outings. Robert does. Not every day, but every day he does get taken out to the pasture/beach and spends an hour or two hunting birds and swimming/running. He finds grouse and quail in the pasture, and all kinds of waterfowl down on the beach, so it's like paradise for him.