Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM
treehugging clicker freak

*raises hand*

I do I think walks are so much more than just exercise! We walk everyday unless the weather is extreme (rain, hail, storms, heat/cold advisory), sometimes once and sometimes twice a day. If I get home late for whatever reason I may play hide and seek, training games, fetch games, Maddie only sometimes likes to tug instead if its late and cold. She also plays with the ferrets everyday, so thats why I say walks are so much more than exercise... socialization, just getting out and smelling new smells, seeing new sights Maddie's usually very well behaved even when we skip a couple walks (like when we were snowed in) but Tucker is harder to live with lol. Our yard is small

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 PM
overdogged

i almost never walk my dogs.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think walks are about more than just exercise. i think most dogs would get pretty bored of just seeing the same 4 walls and backyard every single day..

its nice for them to get out and walk, smell new things, see different things. and all that stuff IMO
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I try to take least one walk a day.. 2 if I can fit it in. Sis sometimes walks Cider so I'll take Smudge out alone.. Or I'll take him once, and them together later if she's not going to get out.

Days that we've had agility, or gone to a trial it often doesn't happen but I'm trying to get a routine going and lose weight. Walking and walking daily is helping. Without the dogs I doubt I'd get out as much.

End of our walk I free them in the park for 10-20 minutes and they get free sniffing, and running time.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i almost never walk my dogs.
May I ask why? I am honestly just curious.

I love bully breeds, but I could never own one because I'm a big chicken. Loose dogs and idiodic people would keep me from going out with them. I would have to find a different alternative! But, like I said, I'm a big chicken about stuff like that

Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

I take Lola for a daily walk. Usually to the beach and park across the street. There she can see different animals like a ground hog, other dogs, rabbits and one time even a doe.

We also go for bike rides with her following closely behind. Sometimes we do 4-5 miles in one shot. For such a small dog she can really keep up and the faster I go on the bike the faster she goes. There is not one time yet when she has not been able to keep up.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

I don't walk mine everyday, but I should. Ripley gets more walks than the girls since he can't go to dog parks anymore... thanks to that, I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to adequately exercise him once he's older with more energy. I'll figure it out though when the time comes! I walk him about 5 times a week currently. Keira and Dance get walked maybe once a week. Mostly just because I don't feel that the girls really benefit from a walk unless it's a couple of hours long.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
May I ask why? I am honestly just curious.

I love bully breeds, but I could never own one because I'm a big chicken. Loose dogs and idiodic people would keep me from going out with them. I would have to find a different alternative! But, like I said, I'm a big chicken about stuff like that
loose dogs primarily.

we have had bad experience after bad experience and at this point *i* am so freaking reactive that my dogs don't have a chance. i'll go hiking with a friend if i can cajole somebody into going (i'm too chicken to hike alone, especially since a friend died alone in the woods after falling while hiking), but around town? it's simply not worth the risk.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
loose dogs primarily.

we have had bad experience after bad experience and at this point *i* am so freaking reactive that my dogs don't have a chance. i'll go hiking with a friend if i can cajole somebody into going (i'm too chicken to hike alone, especially since a friend died alone in the woods after falling while hiking), but around town? it's simply not worth the risk.
That would SO be me. There are so many loose dogs around here it is insane. Maddie is totally dog-friendly, but some come at as so agressive acting, and I'm so uptight, that of course she reacts. I've yelled at quite a few people in the neighborhood now They problem has (temporarily) lessoned... But I do have to say that I haven't run into as many "mean" dogs since I moved. I've caught several loose dogs on walks, while friendly, its super annoying. The ones by my parents dogs would send me off scared! Even without the dogs!

I much prefer hiking than walking around town

Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't walk them at home because of loose dogs. Can't go around my neighborhood without running into at least two. Plus my neighborhood is boring and there's nowhere else to walk-no trails etc. Here though, there's TONS of places to walk so it's never boring. And lots of sights and smells to see. The girls light up when I grab their collars. They just love going for walks.

Plus, my back yard is a few acres and practically a papillon dogpark lol.