Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Big Dog

I don't think they can legally do that and that may be why... can you imagine if they did that, you gave it to your dog, something happened and you sued? I am sure human doses and dog doses are totally different as well...
Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

no, in this med it is the same. This is not even FDA approved for use in dogs.... (but its a common anti anxiety to use for dogs)
so that is probably why they can do it for me.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

I have to say, we've had her on it now for 10 days, and she has vastly improved. We don't yet know if it's the prozac, or the desensitization techniques we're using or maybe just time, but it's working. She still isn't thrilled about the first morning walk (I suspect that is because the thunder storm incident was early morning), but the rest of the day she is almost back to normal. I'm so happy my dog is back!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

That is awesome! I hope things continue to improve!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
I don't think they can legally do that and that may be why... can you imagine if they did that, you gave it to your dog, something happened and you sued? I am sure human doses and dog doses are totally different as well...
we used to get our cats thyroid meds at the regular pharmacy... vets can give you scripts for certain meds to be filled at human pharmacies because many meds are the same... obviously they adjust the dosage accordingly.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

yeah, i forgot to mention that I get Ruckus's steroids (for itching due to allergies) on the walmart $4 list.
vets just do not do this sort of thing because I think lots of them are money hungry. BUT my vet is also a friend. So I am not sure how common it is to write out a prescription to walmart and check if its on the $4 list (tons and tons of meds are)
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
yeah, i forgot to mention that I get Ruckus's steroids (for itching due to allergies) on the walmart $4 list.
vets just do not do this sort of thing because I think lots of them are money hungry. BUT my vet is also a friend. So I am not sure how common it is to write out a prescription to walmart and check if its on the $4 list (tons and tons of meds are)
well our vet is not a friend, I dont even like him at the moment,

The first time he wrote the script, I was like what Im supposed to walk into a pharmacy and ask for my cats meds? I thought they were going to think I needed meds!

But the pharmacist said lots of people got their pets meds there so I guess some vets do it, maybe only with certain meds that they cant get? I dont know.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 AM
overdogged

many things can be scripted out but not all (some drugs are veterinary specific). i've had heart meds scripted for my poodle, eye meds and psych meds scripted for harvey. my mom has meds scripted for her cat. it's not at all uncommon. i even had antibiotics scripted for my rat (that made the pharmacy tech comment! lol). we usually script things we don't use a lot of and therefore it's not worth the effort to carry and the money when they expire and we have open bottles that we can't use or return.

i remember price checking a medication (tramadol) for a client right when walmart first started their $4 scripts. i called walmart and the pharmacy person told me $4 and that was so incredibly cheap compared to everywhere else that i had somebody call back and double-check because it caught me so off-guard. lol
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?