Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

Neutering has many benefits besides the unplanned puppies that can be produced. It lowers the risk of testicular cancer, helps with marking issues and calms dogs down a bit so maybe he wont yap so much anymore and live longer. If it is not a show dog then there is no reason not to neuter.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
Neutering has many benefits besides the unplanned puppies that can be produced. It lowers the risk of testicular cancer, helps with marking issues and calms dogs down a bit so maybe he wont yap so much anymore and live longer. If it is not a show dog then there is no reason not to neuter.
There ARE medical reasons not to neuter. I really hate it when people make it sound like neutering is the ONLY option when owning a dog. Please read below:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
Old 10-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Active Pup

And there are those who think differently, which brings it up as a long debated topic that I'm not willing to get into.

eta: nevermind, looks like you already threw the shat to the fan.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

Having a neutered dog or spayed dog increases Obesity?. That is laughable at least. Obesity is caused in dogs by their owners simply indulging their dogs by allowing them to eat to much plain and simple. The same reason why people are obese. Lola was 10.4 pounds and over a year old before she was spayed and is now a whopping 10.0 pounds.

For that reason I would have to say that study is flawed.

And no neutering is not the only option. But it is a better option than doing nothing.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post

And no neutering is not the only option. But it is a better option than doing nothing.

There are plenty of people who choose to keep their dogs intact but they should only do it if they are responsible enough to train their dogs.

I see no reason for an irresponsible owner to have an intact dog.

Most small dogs do not yap... untrained small dogs yap.

You do not want advice, you want someone to pat you on the back and tell you it is okay to crate your dog for 10 hours. Sure lots of people do it, your dog will survive, there you go!

A better alternative would be to train them so they dont pee everywhere and bark all day long, then maybe they could spend more time outside the crate then in it.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:38 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I agree that an irresponsible owner should not own an intact dog. And yes, training is a must if you plan too.

BUT I was commenting on the post making it sound like the only option, and not if the op should or shouldn't.

And no, obesity is no laughable. While a lot of obesity is from over eating, a lot is ALSO due to hormonal imbalance(just like in people). When you neuter a dog you throw off their testosterone levels.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

The testosterone levels may be thrown off but that can be offset by how much food you feed a dog. If you see your dog gaining to much weight then cut back on the food and treats and give more exercise. So I am still not convinced that obesity in a dog is caused by spaying or neutering.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Obviously you've never known anyone with hormonal imbalance caused obesity. They could end up having to eat so little that they don't get enough nutrients thus causing other problems.

Now as with anything medical there are LOTS of factors to it. Like a breed with a generic predisposition for obesity(corgi) will be a lot worse for wear than a breed with a predisposition to be skinny(border collie/borzoi)
Old 10-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Obviously you've never known anyone with hormonal imbalance caused obesity. They could end up having to eat so little that they don't get enough nutrients thus causing other problems.

Now as with anything medical there are LOTS of factors to it. Like a breed with a generic predisposition for obesity(corgi) will be a lot worse for wear than a breed with a predisposition to be skinny(border collie/borzoi)
I personally knew of someone that was very obese. He weighed over 400 pounds and was about 5'10". I actually seen him on several occasions eat an extra large pizza all by himself and down a 2 liter of Coke in about 20-25 minutes. Medical issues kicked in a few years later and he died with his obesity being a major factor. All the times I have seen him eating it has never been small portions. Always large and had seconds and third helpings. The rest of his family were thin.

I myself have lost 10 pounds in one week by just eating a salad for lunch and dinner. So if a person eats the right food they can lose the weight.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Big Dog

to Lolas Dad

Even people who have medical issues which cause obesity can stay fit. Mind over Matter people!

As for the OP, crating is really the only option. I have a medium crate that I split for 2 chi's and that is plenty of room for them, sometimes too much.