Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Just try me..

I tried that.. made it so I have a dog with zero interest in toys (Kaiden) He won't play with people with a toy or by himself.

I can see that easily working with many dogs, but not all.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I think leaving the toy where they can see a bit of it helps. I would set Victor's on top of the fridge. He learned a couple lessons by this. One that barking at it got him no where at all. I must have sewn up the donkey a half dozen times. Soon as he ripped a thread...back up it went to exactly the same spot. He was stubborn and it took a couple days.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Yorkie Love

I guess I dont see the purpose in working on this behavior or torturing a dog all day for this.

Who really cares how they enjoy their toys, as long as they leave my things alone I dont care.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:40 PM
:( only one :(

I seriously think that if we didn't have any stuffed toys for Boomer to squeak with that he'd go into depression. lol Seriously.

When we arrive home, or during any higher stress moments, the first thing Boomer does is grab and stuffy, come over to see us and does his entire body wag, and a weird gurgle, while holding and squeaking his stuffy.

I can see how some dogs might have no interesting in it, just not their thing. But with other dogs, like Boomer, it's a must..lol Even Tilly needs her fuzzy squeaky fix.

Kassie, not so much, she's more into shaking the living out of beanie babies. I think she's more of a bean bag girl.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
I think leaving the toy where they can see a bit of it helps. I would set Victor's on top of the fridge. He learned a couple lessons by this. One that barking at it got him no where at all. I must have sewn up the donkey a half dozen times. Soon as he ripped a thread...back up it went to exactly the same spot. He was stubborn and it took a couple days.
None of my dogs pay any attention to toys that are out of reach. (well unless you include the fuzzy alive ones in the cage) Kaiden just decided that if he couldn't shred the toy there was no point in it.

Dekka ONLY shreds dog toys. She has never destuffed a pillow or one of Darien's toys. Its just how she 'plays'. I don't see the big deal really. If some of my dogs only enjoy toys through destruction why tell them they can never play?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
None of my dogs pay any attention to toys that are out of reach.
your lucky, lol... Bella will find her way to any dog toy... once I went out and bought a bunch of things and put them all in one bag, there was all sorts of things in that bag and ONE dog toy, that I had forgotten I bought. I put the bag on the kitchen table and forgot about it. Next thing I know she has that toy, everything else on the table and even in the bag was left intact... she just politely took what was "rightfully" hers.

Leaving a toy slightly out of reach would be torture to a toy drive dog like Bella and I dont see the point in that at all.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Didn't torture him at all. It taught him to control himself as he is expected to in all other aspects of his life. He learned quiet. He learned leave it. He learned that good behavior got it back, and good behavior let him keep it. By the time he was 5 and a half months old (and i adopted him at 5 months) he was great with all of his toys and could keep them and access them anytime he wants. The actual lesson time took only a few days. Not hardly torture In the long run he learned important rules that allowed him access to soooo much more which is why he gets to live the life he leads. One that many dogs would wish for. SAme for Mary, Pepper, and every other dogs that has come and gone.

Even Higgs my friend Jean's dog fell in love with a hedgehog that you pull the string and it "runs" vibrates across the floor when he visited here. The first thing he did was chew off the nose and start pulling the hair out which got the toy taken away from him. His owner went out and got him one..guess what..he learned not to do that and is excited and pleased when they play with this toy. He cannot yet have it unattended, but it is something to look forward to and another avenue for teaching him to control himself.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Just try me..

see I teach all mine self control as puppies, so as soon as something goes away they forget about it.

Taking the toy away from Kaiden did teach him that playing rough with the toy would get it taken away. He then decided toys are not fun. I don't really see the harm in letting your dog destroy toys if you don't mind getting them for super cheap, and or fixing them when needed.

If your dog does like to play nicely as well as play destruction then I can see the point in trying to change how they play. But if its the only way your dog likes to enjoy toys.. then either let them or don't give them toys.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Yorkie Love

The argument is still making no sense... I dont think a dog that plays rough with toys is getting anything less out of life then a dog who doesnt... obviously Im missing the connection.

I want to know how my dogs life is worse because I let them destroy a toy?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

All i know is my dogs have always had toys and the rules have always been the same. I do not have to worry about them choking on anything or having it upset their bowels. I don't have stuffing all over the place and worry about them swallowing any of it. THey still to this day play with their toys and enjoy them either with or without human involvement. IT certainly didn't turn them off of their toys or shut them down. THey can have ones that talk or jiggle involving batteries that if they ripped at will they could not have. I do not have to spend money on dog toys but can use what i find at the thrift store...I do not have to remove eyes or anything else. But hey..guess i don't know what i am talking about yet again. lol i just heard Pepper in the bedroom with her toy from CARS...it is saying Oh my aching chassie. Ouch..great timing Pepper thanks for illustrating my point. IT took her exactly two days to learn not to rip up her toys. Because of that..she his having alot of fun in there with the same toy she has had fun with for a year.

Heaven forbid you expect them to learn from their play.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!