Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Yorkie Love

Default Second Opinion Question?

*mods feel free to move, dont know where to put this*

I have a question, do you think a vet gets offended when you get a second opinion? Has anyone ever gotten a second opinion on something but stuck with your vet?

We have used the same vet for awhile and overall I really like the place and have no issues.

However, ever since I got Chloe pretty much I have felt like something is wrong with her kidneys... she pees A LOT and it is very dilute... she has had urinalysis done at the vet and they agree her specific gravity is about as close to water as you can get but they dont think anything is wrong and dont really want to pursue anything else. On the other hand I am a basket case and want something done NOW, lol.

I recently got a second opinion but it was from a cousin who doesnt live near me... so now I need to call my vet and tell him to run these tests that the "second opinion" said to run.

Do you think the vet will be offended? or are they used to this sort of thing?

I really dont like confrontation, haha... but obviously Chloe's health has to trump my lack of confrontation skills, right?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

I'd just tell him you did research online, and you'd like to have the tests done. I do it to my vet all the time. I can't say whether your particular vet will take offense, but my vet knows I'm neurotic about my pets and he always goes out of his way to explain every last detail and answer any questions or concerns I have with what he's doing. He's still very friendly with me, so I'd have to assume he's okay with it.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Yorkie Love

I did one better, I made my mom call and do the dirty work, HAHA! I feel like Im in high school making my mom call the mean teacher for me or something.

She said they were nice about it, so I guess they didnt mind.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
I did one better, I made my mom call and do the dirty work, HAHA! I feel like Im in high school making my mom call the mean teacher for me or something.

She said they were nice about it, so I guess they didnt mind.

but that's why God made moms!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 PM
We are Home.

my mom still does that for me. I call her all the time and tekll her whats going on and she will cuss someone out for me LOL

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post

but that's why God made moms!!!!
thats my philosophy.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Usually when you get a second opinion you go somewhere else and they would run the tests. In this case it was just suggestions for further things to look into, not necessarily a second opinion. I don't think they should be offended about that! I agree, it's just like if you were on the internet trying to read up on the situation and found some suggestions of tests.

I think they might be upset if they found out you went to another vet and they did tests, and because of their efforts and the lack of efforts from the first vet you decided to switch (which I did with my first vet) - but in that case, it's their fault for not continuing to look at the situation. They lost your business because they didn't do stuff, so, well, it's fair. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

That's why I've always loved the 2 clinics I've always go through . Both established in the 50s with many qualified vets to enter if there's a question , With my IB ( brain tumor ) my #1 vet on case wanted to try more things . I finally asked her to have the other 4 to observe and give option . They all advised that there was no hope . My #1 vet hated to give up , but it was the best for IB.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

I've never done it with my dog - vet, because I have the lowest maintenance dog on the planet. But I do it pretty regularly with the horse, medical marvel that he is. I don't know if the vets actually care, but I've never had one act upset or offended by it. Heck, a girl I know has her father coming in to town to visit tomorrow, and he's an equine vet. Never met the man, but am going to try and get an appointment to have him look at Tristan's foot. Sometimes, it's not so much a matter of who is right and wrong for me, it's a matter of a different pair of eyes that may see something differently. Vets are human, too.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

Well, I would think it should be a normal thing when it comes to a major medical issue just like with people. If I were diognosed with something and my doctor either said there is nothing they can do, or if the doctor wanted to take drastic actions I feel may not be neccecary, I am going to get a second opionion and I think most folks would. So I don't see where the vet should have a problem with it.