Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 PM
orange iguanas.

Uhh this reminded me that we were planning on getting Juno chipped when she got spayed... and she got spayed 2 days ago and we completely forgot..

It's not something that I would say NEEDS to be done. Lucy's not microchipped and it was not my idea to have Juno chipped (which probably won't happen now that we've missed the best opportunity). But hey, it certainly doesn't hurt to have it done.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

Rocket's the only one chipped - the breeder does it to all of her puppies before they go home.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

None of my dogs are chipped. I've thought here and there about maybe getting it done, but it hasn't happened. They all have tattoos and ID tags.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Behavior Nerd

I work at a shelter that 1. scans all incoming dogs (about 9000/yr) and 2. chips all adopted animals. We also often have people come in to scan found dogs - it's a free service we happily offer. Chips have reunited dogs lost for years - just recently we had one come in that had been missing for 3! (and his stupid "owner" didn't want him back )

All four of mine are chipped - three with PetWatch because they came from work and one with HomeAgain. Maggie's had hers the longest - going on 6years I think - and we've had no issues with migration, etc.

A chip is permanent and pretty reliable ID - the same can't be said for tags (get lost), embroidered collars (come undone, get snagged, are removed), tattoos (often hard to trace), etc. I'll never not chip one of my animals, even despite *working* at the only animal shelter in our county (i.e. I'd see them if they came in after being lost), because the benefits so outweigh the risks imo.

It does surprise me how many people are afraid of chipping an animal not under anesthesia. The shelter I work at holds chipping clinics and all the animals are fully awake - very few react any more than they do to the rabies vaccines! Yea it's a big needle, but anesthesia is hard on an animal as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Xena is chipped. We had it done at about 6 months old. When we go to the vets for a checkup, we periodically ask them to scan her to ensure that the chip is still functioning.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Twin 2.0

I've thought about having Sawyer done but haven't...more inclined to have him tattooed when he's under for his epulus removal. Joe Schmo down the street might not think to check for a microchip, but he's sure going to notice a tattoo. The possible link for cancer worries me some as well.

Sawyer is unique enough looking that with the 23479348935 pictures I have of him, I'm pretty sure I can prove he's mine should the situation ever arise.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Top Dog

No microchip here either, but Pepe does have a tattoo.

As for mix-ups at the shetler, my dogs are mutts and I doubt it they have any look-alikes, so I for sure can proof with pics and I know things about them that other people cannot point out and claim its their dogs, like the fact that I know how many nipples each of my dogs have.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Taxiderpy

Both our dogs are chipped. All of our future dogs will be as well. IMO, the risk of being stolen or lost vs. the virtually non existent and unproven "link" to cancer definitely outweighs the benefits vs. the potential drawbacks.

As far as chip migration, everyone I have ever seen scans the entire dog's body. That's what the tech did with the bull terrier, and what they did before putting a chip in Charlie and Strider to make sure they weren't double chipping.

Neither of our dogs acted like they even noticed it go in. Strider was like "pet meh!" and Charlie just stared blankly into space with nary a flinch. They don't usually wear collars in the yard (Charlie already destroyed two of Strider's ID collars and I was worried one of them would end up strangling the way they wrestle) so a chip seems like a pretty ideal thing.

We had a german shepherd, my first dog ever, stolen while living in Tucson. She is chipped, and I update the info whenever we move. That was 3 years ago. but I keep hoping that some day, some how maybe she'll escape or go to the vet and make her way back to us. Or if she has found herself with a loving non-thief family in the meantime, I would love to know that she is happy and safe. The chip gives me a sliver of hope for closure. Without it we'd pretty much be screwed as far as ever seeing her again.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:38 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
As for mix-ups at the shetler, my dogs are mutts and I doubt it they have any look-alikes, so I for sure can proof with pics and I know things about them that other people cannot point out and claim its their dogs, like the fact that I know how many nipples each of my dogs have.
But, if your dog is lost or stolen and someone cares for them for several months before you find out where they are, they are going to have pics and vet records too. A chip sticks with the animal with your info forever.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
It does surprise me how many people are afraid of chipping an animal not under anesthesia. The shelter I work at holds chipping clinics and all the animals are fully awake - very few react any more than they do to the rabies vaccines! Yea it's a big needle, but anesthesia is hard on an animal as well.
Well, I'm certainly not putting my dog under anesthesia to be chipped; it would be an "if they are already under for X, I'll consider having it done then."

I have a dog who is very soft-tempered and gets scared and shut down easily. She currently is okay at the vets; I don't want the risk of something hurting and scaring her and requiring tons of rehab to get her back to the point where she is comfortable with the clinic.

And while I agree the cancer link is pretty shaky, I simply hesitate to inject a foreign body into my dogs body that will remain there forever. Same reason I'll never have an IUD or anything like that. I have a lifetime's worth of metal plates and screws in my jaw, but it was a medical necessity.

Vet records, trial records, photos from when she was younger, adoption paperwork...I've no doubt I can prove Meg is mine should she turn up somewhere. I've even made a point to take pictures of things like her large freckle on her belly and her white spots to have those available, although now that I've lost my photos, I suppose I need to redo them.