Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Top Dog

She came at a good time for me. My heeler went through some rough times with spleenic hermangiosarcoma (sp). We had his spleen removed to try and save his life but he never fully recovered, he died at the house after a 6 weeks. He was a go everywhere buddy of mine too for 8 years. Yes, it's tough to loose one. This was Cowboy, he was a city pound dog too.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Top Dog

If you get Peyton over being dog reactive you might want to consider having Peyton become a therapy dog. Sounds like he would be a great one.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THat was a great read. Proof that you can't judge a dog from the shelter on first or even second impressions. You have done well by PEyton and reaping the rewards.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Top Dog

Last night she did it again with something new.

A few days ago, my son was over, My Son and Peyton were laying in the bed watching TV. I told my son in front or Peyton I was going to fix the dogs Cheeseburgers. My son asked Cheeseburgers? I said yes, it's just Kibble with a little grated cheese on top. I went to the kitchen made Peytons food, took it to the bed and placed the food in front of Peyton, she ate and I didn't think anymore about it.

Last night at feeding time, Peyton was in the kitchen, I looked at Peyton and jokingly asked if she wanted a Cheeseburger. She took off in a dead run to the bedroom, jumped in the bed and laid down where I had fed her with my son. Evidently, she picked up the "cheeseburger" command simply from a casual conversation I had with my son.

It's this ability to link actions back to words that she does completely on her own that continues to amaze me. She had never heard the word cheeseburger in her entire life before that day with my son and I wasn't talking to directly to her when she did hear it.

When I think about it, she heard cheeseburger mentioned and food with cheese showed up. So to her, cheeseburger means get in the bed, lay down, Dad is bringing a cheeseburger to me!

One problem with all these things, once she learns something it's stuck. A good example is when I pull back the shower curtain she goes to her kennel without a command. That makes it difficult to get her in the bathtub. Now, I'm thinking if I mention I want to go out for a Cheeseburger I won't be able to her out of the bed.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
THat was a great read. Proof that you can't judge a dog from the shelter on first or even second impressions. You have done well by PEyton and reaping the rewards.
So true, but I do think you have to be diligent of these pound dogs and take your time. It's almost like opening Xmas packages, you think you might know what's in them but you are sometimes surprised, good or bad. Part of the fun too is discovery and meeting a LOT of new dogs in one place.

I went on my hunt looking for a dog that was highly sociable and highly trainable. While I met many dogs, they didn't meet criteria to the degree that Peyton did. It didn't matter as much who she was at the time as much as who she could be.

If I adopt a dog it's for the rest of it's life, that's a very important decision to me and not one to be taken lightly.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:03 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

So many people think the first impression is the real personality of the dog. They don't stop to think what it would be like if it were them in that situation and how they would respond. Then sometimes they get the dog home and say "it's soooo good!" ANd i think just wait a bit..when the dog relaxes and you won't be thinking soooo good....things get chewed, anxieties appear especially seperation ones. Adopting a rescue takes patience and understanding and bucket loads of time. IT takes adapting your wishes to the situation and helping guide this soul through the rough spots which ease imo from training. YOu did well by Payton. I was just trying to add to the point of visiting a shelter and seeing a dog and developing a first impression. If i had gone by my first impression of Victor i would have turned around and never looked back. If i had gone my my first impression of miss shut down won't look at you and all she wants to do is run away Pepper would would have been the point? NO one looked at Victor at the kill shelter and that was how he ended up in a rescue. His day was up..at the sad age of 5 months. I do believe that training age helps, but Pepper was at least a year if not two when she came here with every door dodging runaway skill under her belt and she has come miles and miles. I am a firm believer in doing the daily training session. Not pushing too fast too hard. Tailoring it to what you need to focus on and working your way through one problem after another. I think when you go into a shelter like that your heart will just know the right one. I looked on petfinder for two weeks before i saw Victor and I knew that was the one. I stuck by that belief for the first 6 months when even my mother said to take him back. It's a lot of faith backed up by hard work. I never went out looking for Pepper. Fate layed her in the road in front of my car. I never expected to keep her, i just didn't know what to do with her or who was insane enough to keep looking for her. SHe was really good at being the artful dodger. Now she is my baby girl..and i can't imagine her not a part of our team. I am certainly pleased with the results in my own home as i see you are in yours!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

Obviously you have the conviction and to stick through it, even during the rough spots. I certainly had my share and like you I didn't give up and it paid off.

Your point is well taken. Peyton was mousey in her kennel, not shy but very reserved. Out of that pen, she was a wild woman. Which was she in real life and even today? Both.

It's a crap shoot at best with any dog. Existing traits, in bred traits, environmental traits both past and present all seem to play a role in the dogs overall behavior. Having said that, I tend to be more analytical when selecting someone who is going to live in my house for the next 10 years and I "try" at least to disconnect the emotional and appearance and instead focus on more concrete factors as a baseline within in the selection process.

I'm a hard sell I admit, but as I will be devoting my time, money, energy and unconditional love, any dog must at least indicate certain abilities and tendencies or the dog is simply not a candidate. Perhaps I'm too pragmatic on all this, but it's how I roll.

If I wanted an agility dog, I would look for focus, energy and boldness. Peyton is a cautious scatterbrained super happy dog that is easily distracted and in my estimate she wouldn't be a great agility dog. That doesn't mean should couldn't learn, but she is who she is, and I prefer to play to her strengths which is a great mind and overtly friendly. I wanted a smart, friendly dog and I went looking for one. I got that and more.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

Peyton had a LOT of problems, first she was like 6 week old puppy but 6 months old. She mouthed, she jumped, she chewed, she had never even heard the word no. Of course she went to the bathroom in the house, whined in her crate. She was 6 months old with 6 week old behaviors. But what she did have was that she showed signs of being able to be trained and was very social right from the start. I hoped that with the training factor she would learn quickly and boy did she ever.

I used the Yelp method to stop her mouthing, I'm not sure how many times I yelped but it wasn't many. 3 or 4 times maybe and the mouthing was a non-issue. One of Peytons strength is that she is HIGHLY sensitize. I used that to my advantage on the mouthing and it worked like a charm.

I made her kennel a good place to be, we would make a little game out of it, she could go in and out to get treats. We did that for a few days and today, she sleeps in her crate even during the day. She won't sleep in the bed, EVER. Her crate is where she thinks I want her to sleep and that's that.

I house trained her by feeding and taking her out at very regular intervals. I wrote down the times she ate and when she pooped in the house, then would make sure she got to got out before she had to go. I took her to the exact same spot to do business every single time and gave her treats in mid-stream and praised her. It didn't take long at all for her to understand the routine and today, I still feed and take her out at approx. the same intervals and it's been a non-issue ever since.

This list goes on and on, but you get the idea, I found a dog that was highly intelligent but ferrel, and the rest was "easily" trained.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Top Dog

What a nice story - thanks for sharing.
My little JRT is my "Peyton" - it's amazing to have a dog like that in your life - hard to describe it. Glad you're able to share your life with her.

Brandy: The B Hive (JRT) - ADC, SGDC, AADC, RPT, RNMCL, CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, HIT Agility JRTRO 2009 Trial

Pet Portraits, Design & Photography
www.juliesillustration.com

www.dogznart.blogspot.com