Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Salty Sea Dog

1: theres no such breed as a teddy bear dog...
it is NOT a hybrid, it is a MIXED breed...

*a HYBRID is a mix of 2 different species form the same family, a wolf x dog is a hybrid, a lion x tiger is a hybrid, a zebra x donkey is a hybrid...
dogs no matter what BREED are all DOGS, therefore mixing a poodle with a bichon is creating a mix, aka MUTT NOT a hybrid!

2: the dog in the picture looks to be either a badly bred pom (the muzzle is too wide and the ears too large) thats been shaved in such a way...or more likely a poweranian mized with either a bichon, poodle or any combination thereof, and again clipped into such a way as to make it look like that. (if you look close you can see the hair has a slightly curely texture.)

3: if your looking for a dog like that i hope your also expecting a lot of grooming, a trim like that (which is what youll need to acheive that "teddy" look is going to set you back $60-$100, mabe even more, and will need to be done every 4-8 weeks...

4: heres a pet peve of mine...there is NO SUCH THING as a "TEACUP" anything, no teacup chihuahaus, no teachup yorkies...
teacup is just a high fashion word used by unscrupulous "breeders" mills and petshops to put a higher price on an undersized puppy...these undersized dogs are generally nto as strong health wise and otherwise known as runts...
or they are simply normal sized but people dont do their reaserch to find out how big their breed should be according to standard...

PLEASE, do not be sucked in by the desighner hype, dogs like this are bred for looks alone, often letting temperment and health fall to the weighside...
what would happen if you found your ideal "teddy bear" get it home and all is good but then you find out its got a liver shunt, has seveir epilepsy, its hips or knees are bad, or its got a very nasty temperment...
these are all too commonly found.

searching the shelters is WONDERFULL...but you wont find any dog in a shelter labled as a teddy bear dog, you also wont find them clipped like that...
instead look at the shelters for a poodle, pom or bichon mix with the temperment to properly fit your family.

as a side note:
is it just me or does that little dog look overweight? it may just be how the person is holing him in the picture but that looks like one big pot belly..

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 09-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Silence! I ban you!

I thought it looked like an Ewok from Star Wars (Return of the Jedi)
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Active Pup

Default Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
1: theres no such breed as a teddy bear dog...
it is NOT a hybrid, it is a MIXED breed...

*a HYBRID is a mix of 2 different species form the same family, a wolf x dog is a hybrid, a lion x tiger is a hybrid, a zebra x donkey is a hybrid...
dogs no matter what BREED are all DOGS, therefore mixing a poodle with a bichon is creating a mix, aka MUTT NOT a hybrid!

2: the dog in the picture looks to be either a badly bred pom (the muzzle is too wide and the ears too large) thats been shaved in such a way...or more likely a poweranian mized with either a bichon, poodle or any combination thereof, and again clipped into such a way as to make it look like that. (if you look close you can see the hair has a slightly curely texture.)

3: if your looking for a dog like that i hope your also expecting a lot of grooming, a trim like that (which is what youll need to acheive that "teddy" look is going to set you back $60-$100, mabe even more, and will need to be done every 4-8 weeks...

4: heres a pet peve of mine...there is NO SUCH THING as a "TEACUP" anything, no teacup chihuahaus, no teachup yorkies...
teacup is just a high fashion word used by unscrupulous "breeders" mills and petshops to put a higher price on an undersized puppy...these undersized dogs are generally nto as strong health wise and otherwise known as runts...
or they are simply normal sized but people dont do their reaserch to find out how big their breed should be according to standard...

PLEASE, do not be sucked in by the desighner hype, dogs like this are bred for looks alone, often letting temperment and health fall to the weighside...
what would happen if you found your ideal "teddy bear" get it home and all is good but then you find out its got a liver shunt, has seveir epilepsy, its hips or knees are bad, or its got a very nasty temperment...
these are all too commonly found.

searching the shelters is WONDERFULL...but you wont find any dog in a shelter labled as a teddy bear dog, you also wont find them clipped like that...
instead look at the shelters for a poodle, pom or bichon mix with the temperment to properly fit your family.

as a side note:
is it just me or does that little dog look overweight? it may just be how the person is holing him in the picture but that looks like one big pot belly..

Foxy, you are right my mistake. Most of the time they are "toy" which gets referred to a lot as teacup. The AKC recognizes the toy breeds, although the yorkie does not get recognized by this breed type by the AKC. Our yorkie is very small compared to other yorkies. When we picked ours out from the shelter we were told that she came from a puppy mill in our area. We are aware that this is why she is small and are aware that she could have health problems because of being a puppy mill puppy. We hope that she will not. Thank you Foxy though for pointing out my error.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Salty Sea Dog

teacups is a pet peeve of mine as ive worked with chihuahaus since i was very very young...i cant tell you how mnay times im told my 3lb chihuahua is a "teacup" and i always feel the need to correct them, that no, hes not a teacup, i keep those at home in the cabinate, hes simply a chihuahua on the smaller end of the standard.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Top Dog

I used to clip my Pomeranian to look like that. You could probably clip any double-coated breed to look similarly if you like that look.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Twin 2.0

Isn't that that "Mr. Bo Jangles" dog or whatever? The lady found him on a railroad track and has made a few calendars out of him.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Squishy22

Looks like a pom/bichon to me.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:33 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

we groom poms, shelties, and aussies to look very similar to that.

i think its a poorly bred pom
Old 09-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

Looks like a not well bred Pom or a Pom mix with a haircut.

Regarding Yorkies, there are no "toy" yorkies, because at a proper size, the breed is under 7 lbs...which is a pretty small dog. You'll see not to standard Yorkies that are above that, but it doesn't mean that's the norm. The tiny Yorkies are simply dogs that are smaller than normal.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylereu View Post
Foxy, you are right my mistake. Most of the time they are "toy" which gets referred to a lot as teacup. The AKC recognizes the toy breeds, although the yorkie does not get recognized by this breed type by the AKC. Our yorkie is very small compared to other yorkies. When we picked ours out from the shelter we were told that she came from a puppy mill in our area. We are aware that this is why she is small and are aware that she could have health problems because of being a puppy mill puppy. We hope that she will not. Thank you Foxy though for pointing out my error.
Actually, Yorkies (aka Yorkshire Terriers) ARE in the AKC Toy group.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)