Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Not a lurker

Doesn't look anything like the dogs in that video or that I see that are shown...no slanted back, she's square in the rear end, and has a nice natural looking run...
My working dog friends like her, the show people I know say "that dog would never win at conformation" - well, that's fine by me, I'd rather have an "ugly" sound dog than a crippled up beauty.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:52 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

SHe looks outstanding to me!!!!!!! Noble head, strong back, perfecto!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Not a lurker

Truth be told, she has a GSD showline buddy...we walk 3 miles she's still good to go when we get back...he stopped at mile 1 and is exhausted.
It's sad to see he can't keep up, he's about 90 lbs and huge compared to her at 63 lbs (just weighed her) "ugly" wins, lol!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Top Dog

Oh, if it's shots from that documentary, I watched that. I don't know how those breeders can look at their dogs without crying. I can't imagine purposely breeding an animal to walk like that. Kind of reminds me of mad scientists in old sci fi movies . . . "Ve must cross ze monkey wif ze walrus! SCIENCE DEMANDS IT!" And then it grows 50 feet tall and devours them.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Top Dog

Well, while we're posting photos of GSD's.

These are natural poses.

As you can see he's got a long croup. He's kinda slanty when he poses. Otherwise his back is pretty straight.

While it may seem strange to some I am on a sort of crusade to get him posed like those show dogs. I post this next pic at risk of being called a dog abuser lol... I honestly had no idea I had positioned his feet so far apart until I looked at the photo after. I was trying to get his back end lower lol. Anyways it's as close as I've gotten so far. I think what needs to happen is less Twister stuff and his knee needs to drop a bit. lol

Actually the closest pic I have of the angle of his hock to a showline dog's is mine upon impact after jumping 9 ft or so.

Here are some neat animations I have

That's all
Old 09-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Top Dog

YouTube - History of the change in the german shepherd over the years

YouTube - German Shepherd half dog half frog

Sorry about the link screw up.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Top Dog

Mine's a little slanty but it doesn't keep him from doing what he wants.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 AM
ACoops favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Well, while we're posting photos of GSD's.

These are natural poses.

As you can see he's got a long croup. He's kinda slanty when he poses. Otherwise his back is pretty straight.
Wow. There are so many pretty shepherds on this board. Makes me want one.

Kenya, Lacey, Xandra's boy and DanL's dog are all making me wish for my own shep one day!!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Big Dog

DanL your GSD is absolutely gorgeous!!!! That is what my mothers dogs growing up looked like, that is as low as it should be. Can I have him
Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Thank you sammgirl.

Dan, Gunnar looks great... he's a very sturdy looking dog. How tall is he and what's he weigh? Mine is a little over 27" and all spindly lol. Ah well.

It's important to remember that GSD's are SUPPOSED to have a bit of a slope. Just because the show people have taken it to extremes of extremes doesn't mean that it shouldn't slope at all... everything in moderation.

To quote the SV standard:
Quote:
Body

The top line extends from the point where the neck meets the skull past the well developed withers and the gently downward sloping back to the slightly sloping croup without a visible break. The back is firm, strong, and well muscled. The loin is broad, well developed, and strongly muscled. The croup should be long and have a slight downward slope (approximately 23 degrees from horizontal) and should merge smoothly into the tail set.
It's just the show breeders didn't have to worry about proper temperament or functional structure, because they didn't use their dogs in any way, so they had to think up *something* to breed for, they needed a goal. So they f'ed up the backs... couldn't they have done something with merit, like breed them so their ears didn't look RIDICULOUS at 6 months? lol Go figure.