Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-07-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Sudden irritation ..

all has been fine...then yesterday Ham had to go out, we walked, he did a bowel movement..we came in. THEN he kept licking his behind...ok, at first I thought it was a cleaning thing....but he started to seem agitated. I lifted his tail and there seems to be an irritation right at the base of his tail...not really his little bottom, but from it up about an inch at tail base. I see a redness. Needless to say, I poured over him looking for fleas, etc. I see nothing (I know, doesn't mean nothing is there) When he was calm, I put Neosporin on it, then didn't allow him to bother it. It seemed to ease his discomfort immediately. Any ideas???? Seems to have come about suddenly. I put more Neosporin on again this morning...he seems calmer about it, but the redness is still there. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Felurian

Has Addie been riding his tail again?

If you can get to a pharmacy, get a spray bottle of cleanser used for perianal care. It's very mild, soothing, a very effective antibacterial and doesn't necessarily have to be rinsed, which is sometimes hard to do effectively with a dog. Use it to clean him.

It sounds like the irritation is in an area that's fairly dark and stays somewhat moist, so it's possible it's a fungal irritation. This is where we get the Tea Tree Oil out! It's both an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Just dilute it with some unscented Neutrogena oil - try for 1/2 and 1/2 and dab it on the irritation. The Tea Tree Oil works whether it's a fungal irritation or caused by bacteria, so you're covered either way.

These three things are some of the handiest things you can possibly have on hand in your first-aid kit, for animals or humans.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-07-2005, 09:13 AM

THANKS, Renee...will do!! Do NOT want my boy in any way annoyed!

(and, yes, I think Ms. Addie HAS been riding his tail!!!! hahaha I am still trying to take lessons from her on keeping MEN in line.)
Old 01-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Felurian

Since we're not equipped with teeth like Addie's I think it might require a whip and a chair . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian