Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

Get an aussie but you should understand what you are getting into before you adopt. It's easy to ruin an Aussie if you're not prepared or completely committed.

Yes, they need some grooming about every 60 days. Feet, privates, hocks and ears. Wash and air dry is fine. I would try for one from 6-12 months old.

Zoom and I can help you BEFORE you adopt if you're really serious.

AH! I saw this "Heh, I have 3 yorkies".

Ok, I would say get another breed then. Aussies LOVE to play and they play VERY VERY rough but all in good fun. Having Yorkies to play with might not be a good match for an Aussie or your Yorkies.

Last edited by JoeLacy; 09-25-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Twin 2.0

I don't even do that. I think I bathe about every 3-4 months, unless he's rolled in something stinky. I try to brush every few days, it usually ends up being a few times a month, unless he's blowing coat or has a bunch of burrs on him, then it's every day/until the burrs are out.

A good blow out after a bath with a hi-powered dryer will help to keep the shedding down as well.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

Hey Zoom, she has 3 Yorkies, I see at least two potential problems already.

Peyton is afraid of the hair dryer so she goes air-baby. She never smells unless she's been diving the the goldfish pond. I keep her trimmed and looking pretty.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Twin 2.0

The Yorkies getting tangled in the Aussie's pants?

Going through a solid rescue like STARR (aussie rescue in texas) and ARPH (the official rescue org) will net the OP a better chance of finding a dog that is either good with small dogs or has a low enough drive that it's not an issue. Training is a big part of keeping multi dog households happy anyway.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
The Yorkies getting tangled in the Aussie's pants?
LOL, well that too. I think it was you and I that had a conversation last year about how rough Aussies play.

Frankly, I don't see Yorkies holding up to the relentless requests and physical demands of an Aussie. You know what I mean, but unless you've had an Aussie you might not be prepared for just how rough and intense they are at playtime. Mine would rather play than eat and about the only dogs that can hold up at the dog park are GSDs, Danes and large labs. A Yorkie? uh...no

I just think the OP is better off getting a smaller/less intense breed to go with her existing pack.

Make no bones about it, I can't imagine ever having anything but Aussies or maybe a BC to go with an Aussie but let's face it, they are not for everyone and probably do better with more experienced dog owners with the time and training to bring out their potential. An Aussie mind is a terrible thing to waste and a bored Aussie is a terrible consequence to face
Old 09-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm All Ears

I know quite a few people with aussies and toy sized dogs and it works for them. In particular quite a few people have papillons and aussies together. I don't think that's a deal breaker. Obviously you have to supervise and not leave them out alone.

I plan on adding a border collie next to my pack and I don't forsee too many problems. I did decide to wait until I can handle a pup so that it can grow up learning that the small dogs are not toys.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Twin 2.0

Aussies are rough and tumble, yes, but like many dogs, they can be taught to curb it when they need to. I've seen Sawyer goes full-on WWF on a dog his size or larger, but is more gentle with some of the smaller dogs. Unless they're white and fluffy and running scared...then they're squeaky toys.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:04 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Look into sheltie rescues. many many big shelties there. most are about 17-19 inches in the rescue here.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

LOL.. Im pretty sure most yorkies can hold their own against alot of dogs. Even the bigger ones. I cant help but to laugh when my yorkie takes on the GSD x. they are great friends and love to play and wrestle.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Not So Proper

Ah, I still haven't decided on which breed I want to get. But just to be clear, this will be when I move out and live on my own, so no little yorkies to mess with. I don't know what my schedule will be like when I move out, so that will play a large part in what kind of dog/if I get a dog. But my yorkies usually don't have any trouble with big dogs. My cousin has a 100lb lab that always want to play but my dogs let him know that they certainly don't want to play! And grooming isn't really an issue (three yorkies remember?).

Also, I got to go to an agility trial recently and there were tons of shelties! I decided that they could probably keep up with me on a run, but I think I am more interested in a larger breed.

Prim - Shalako's Primrose of Zydeco
Groot - Shalako's Fuzzy Marvel of Zydeco