Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Taxiderpy

I know of a borzoi breeder who tests regularly. Once she got a false positive from her stud male and freaked out. Had it retested three times in a row and they all came back fine, so it was a lab mistake. She was telling me that it can kill dogs.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Big Dog

It can cause sterility, abortion and is not really characterized by symptoms in males so they can pass it all over and no one is aware they are positive without the test. Females can have symptoms if they are pregnant and aborting litters early on or suddenly unable to conceive.
It is not curable and while altering will help some of the issue, once you are known to be positive, the state gets involved. They will more often that not require you to euthanize all positive tested animals. Once one is positive, the whole house must be tested and in some cases the humans too. If anyone comes in contact with infected blood, bodily fluids, such as from birthing then humans can also contract it.

Licking, attempted breeding (which neutered males can still do) will cause a dog to get it.

Not seen often, but very awful if it does happen. I do know of someone who was doing rescue and taking in boarders....those dogs and all her own tested positive in the end all stemming from keeping someones dogs for them...sad situation and one i would never want to face.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:36 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by showluver View Post
once you are known to be positive, the state gets involved. They will more often that not require you to euthanize all positive tested animals.
Maybe this is what the breeder was worried about. I remember her saying that she thought she was going to lose all her dogs.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Big Dog

Good possibility. I have personally never had it nor been directly involved with anyone who has until recently. This person lived in Michigan and the state was really making it a hard way to go for them.