Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Love My Mutt <3

yah 3 times seems about right. It is all about how the drugs will work. As you said, in humans, they give it 4 times, unless you have been given the pre-exposure to rabies vaccine, then you get it 3 times. I have learned that they give them 3 times, it has something to do with the fact that 1 time, the dose is not strong enough to fight off everything.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Salty Sea Dog

it works the same way as in humans, with a pre-exposure shot (whcih is what she got when she got her rabies the first time) if exposed you get 3 doses...

if she hadnt had the pre-exposure shot she could need up to 6 doses.

rabies unfortunatly is a tough virus and it can take a few readmins for the cells to build up full immunity and be "re-awakend"

i would keep benadryl (or other good anti-histamine) handy though in case of an allergic reaction.

rabies is essentially an "std" in all senses, in order to catch rabies the saliva must come in contact directly with the blood stream/mucus membranes.
its HIGHLY unlikely to catch rabies form a scratch for example, but a rabid animal bite (or a rabid animals saliva in the eye) can transmit the disese, a rabid animals blood splashing into the eye or into a cut (like HIV) can also transmit the virus.
because of this you are NOT at risk from her toys, bedding ect, outside of the body the visur is incredibly delicate and cannot survie long at all and its not contracted through skin to item/skin contact unless theres open wounds involved...

ive got my fingers crossed for a safe and swift recovery.
i would also begin teaching her aversion training for mongoose if shes an instigator, she needs to learn to stay away from them (or at least come imeediatly when called/leave it) so this doesnt happen again...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Active Pup

Ok, so the 3 doses are not out of the ordinary. I thought it might be too much for her, so i wanted to get some insight. But yes, this was suggested by our Rabies center, so they should be well knowledged...

Thanks for your thoughts, we are also hoping for her swift recovery, for she is a very charismatic and affectionate puppy. Her real problem is basically associated with her breeds, she really is a hunter and will follow a scent relentlessly... she would chase and hunt down everything from crickets, lizards, butterflies to crabs, chicken and even horses.

I guess we gotta work on her composure and teaching her when to stay put. Hopefully i will get some helpful hints from this forum as soon as she gets better