Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Big Dog

No, I'm going to avoid them.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

The only dogs I would be comfortable (as comfortable as you can get with your dogs life on the line) with fighting coyote's and other wild predators are those that are bred as flock guardians. Dogs with the size and strength (both mentally and physically) to ward of predators.

I dont think you necessarily have to get a showline because you are a first time GSD owner. I would find a local Schutzhund club (you can get a great dog from the club members breedings) and they can help you raise your puppy to become the best dog it can be. My personal favorite dog was a west german working/show mix (my first GSD). Sufficient drive, but very mellow and unphased by practically anything. My west german/czech dog is mellow in the house but out in public his eyes are everywhere and gets amped by just about anything. He's fun but it gets obnoxious when he gets over excited.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

find out what kind of dog you want and get it. Who cares about the lines. Get out and look at them, you don't know what you want cause you don't know what they can do. you haven't watched any.

Trust me. I didn't start with showline, my first dog was a working line bitch, trained to sch II and started from nothing. You learn as you go. It's not like they're some crazed beast that only a select few can handle. If you want an active dog and a dog that you must engage with every single day and you pay attention, you'll be fine. You can't expect to have them live in a crate for 8 hours then when you come home be a well behaved dog.

I've known so many people that get a "showline" because it's their first dog and they don't want more than they can handle. In a few months time, they're so disappointed and can't wait to get their hands on a new dog.

Now some people love their showline dogs, some actually work decent enough if you're lucky. Some are more than happy with what they can do with them, but if you want athletic and drivey and something to do schutzhund with, go where they're proven.

Just because they come from Germany doesn't mean the showlines are anything. Check out the latest videos from the BSZS this year. The cream of the crop so to speak in the showline world. Most of what I saw on there were crap. I didn't see a single dog that even came close to the worst working dogs in our club.

Anyway, you're researching on the net, that's a start, now get out and look at the dogs and what they actually do. Some breeders that have clubs might be more than thrilled to let you handle some of their dogs after you've hung around a while and shown interest.

So many, and I do mean a **** load of people say they want to do schutzhund or something like it and go buy a puppy without ever watching lots of dogs. They all regret it in the end. Do yourself a favor, go and watch, and more than one or two times and more than one or two clubs.

If these sports are something your serious about, then putting in the time now to find the right dog or puppy is worth it. Don't be in a hurry, cause they're around for a long time, you owe it to yourself and your dog to get the right kind you're looking for. You can't turn a yugo into a porsche just because you want to go fast.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
find out what kind of dog you want and get it. Who cares about the lines. Get out and look at them, you don't know what you want cause you don't know what they can do. you haven't watched any.

Trust me. I didn't start with showline, my first dog was a working line bitch, trained to sch II and started from nothing. You learn as you go. It's not like they're some crazed beast that only a select few can handle. If you want an active dog and a dog that you must engage with every single day and you pay attention, you'll be fine. You can't expect to have them live in a crate for 8 hours then when you come home be a well behaved dog.

I've known so many people that get a "showline" because it's their first dog and they don't want more than they can handle. In a few months time, they're so disappointed and can't wait to get their hands on a new dog.

Now some people love their showline dogs, some actually work decent enough if you're lucky. Some are more than happy with what they can do with them, but if you want athletic and drivey and something to do schutzhund with, go where they're proven.

Just because they come from Germany doesn't mean the showlines are anything. Check out the latest videos from the BSZS this year. The cream of the crop so to speak in the showline world. Most of what I saw on there were crap. I didn't see a single dog that even came close to the worst working dogs in our club.

Anyway, you're researching on the net, that's a start, now get out and look at the dogs and what they actually do. Some breeders that have clubs might be more than thrilled to let you handle some of their dogs after you've hung around a while and shown interest.

So many, and I do mean a **** load of people say they want to do schutzhund or something like it and go buy a puppy without ever watching lots of dogs. They all regret it in the end. Do yourself a favor, go and watch, and more than one or two times and more than one or two clubs.

If these sports are something your serious about, then putting in the time now to find the right dog or puppy is worth it. Don't be in a hurry, cause they're around for a long time, you owe it to yourself and your dog to get the right kind you're looking for. You can't turn a yugo into a porsche just because you want to go fast.
Thank you release the hounds, that was a very good post.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Big Dog

I was just contacting the local gsd club here and getting the # of the schutzhund club lol.

Thanks for the advice, I'll follow through with it.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Top Dog

I also agree with Release the Hounds,,,you may say you can't live with a working line, but there are so many variables with gsd's, you may run into one you like ))

My previous working lines were not wacko's who couldn't settle,,they were ready to go when you wanted them to, but ok hanging out all day.

Who knows you may end up seeing an American or Canadian line dog you like and go with that!

I agree that GSD's do not have a long shelf life when it comes to agility,,I competed with one thru Excellent but had to retire her at around 7,

First and foremost you want a dog you can LIVE with because that is what the dog will be doing most of the time LIVING with you, definately check out what's out there, dog shows, shutz clubs, breeders, most will be happy to show off their dogs and figure out what type or dog, would fit within your lifestyle..