Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Top Dog

The travelling circus! How far do you have to drive, ACampbell? Hope it's not too far.

I haven't received any calls from them yet, just e-mails. I have Shadow's health certificate now . . . It's hard to believe she'll be truckin' out in just four days. I'll miss her cheerful little face.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Not a lurker

Yeah, on second thought...may just be me, old blind Pekinese, and Shadow on the trip...It's a 5 hour trip (just shy of 300 miles one way) to where I"ll need to pick her up (out near Grand Junction), one way. I don't want to drag the kids out that far, as that's an entire days worth of driving...so what I'm going to TRY to do is have the trucker meet up with me in the evening around 8 PM or so that way I can leave Colorado Springs around 2-3 PM and get home around Midnight to 1 AM...
I absolutely have to be home no later than 4:30 AM so hubby can go to work...and can't leave any earlier than 2-3 PM if I"m not going to take the kids on my 10 hour road trip, that will probably be longer considering animals are going to need a break out of crates, etc.

Hopefully the person getting the Peke in Denver will be ok with staying up a little late, like 11 PMish to pick her up...I'd much rather do it during the day but alas, hubby cannot get out of work since he's doing a school.

I don't want to take the kids because that will mean my son will have to miss a couple hours of school, and will get home really late...not to mention I'm going to meet up with a stranger and don't want to put my kids in the middle of that, I'm confident he's "safe" but you never know what else could happen.

It's a bummer it's earlier in the week on like a Monday or Tuesday...had it been Thurs or Friday Shadow, blind doggy, me and friends would have flown up to there to pick up, but my pilot friend works Monday and Tuesday.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Top Dog

FIVE HOURS EACH WAY! Wow, talk about your Incredible Journey! I'll cross my fingers that Shadow is as quiet as she usually is on trips (unlike my boys, the Sad Yowlers.)
Old 09-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boemy View Post
FIVE HOURS EACH WAY! Wow, talk about your Incredible Journey! I'll cross my fingers that Shadow is as quiet as she usually is on trips (unlike my boys, the Sad Yowlers.)
I know, sounds like Homeward bound...hey wait a second here...I have a golden retriever, picking up a Himilayan cat, and uhm, well I'm missing Chance the American Bulldog but I have Lily here at home still so uhm...somethings not right

Thankfully I have GPS so I won't get lost wherever I end up picking up these two. I emailed them on what times would work best for me, so hopefully that goes through. Even if the other home can't pick up as late as 11 PM, the Peke can stay at my house over night, no biggie...I have crates. How much trouble can an ancient blind dog be?! (I just probably jinxed myself there)

ETA: when I looked at the town on the map, it didn't look 300 miles away,

Oh, another quick thing. You said she's leash trained (obviously not like a dog but ya know) do I need to pick up a harness so I can let her out of her crate to stretch out a bit? If so, what size...I know jack sh!t about harnesses for cats, but can pick one up if need be. I know I"m going to have to stop and let old doggy out for a stretch and potty break at least once (it's 5 hours, that's a long time to hold it in the car, I'm also lining my car with newspaper and trash bags, I know I can't hold it that long so yeah...)

Wow, this thread turned from serious to a circus fast...lol, I don't dare tell any of my friends I'm going that far to pick up a cat, they already think I'm insane for getting Jasper and driving the 4 hour round trip to get him at DIA...now if I told them I was picking up an old blind little dog (oh no, she might turn me on to liking little dogs, gah) and a cat while doing a 10 hour roundtrip...I think they may take me in to have my head examined.

Does this make me one of those crazy pet people? Hubby's already resigned himself that I'm losing it, I didn't dare tell him quite how far it was, just that it was a couple hundred miles away...and he offered to let me use his truck for comfort...but eh, I hate driving it (no tilt wheel so I have to sit on a phonebook to see) and it sucks gas...he's just biding his time to have me committed I think

Last edited by AGonzalez; 09-16-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Top Dog

"Tonight the part of Chance the bulldog will be played by Mr. Pookie, the blind pekinese. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I'll be sending her harness and leash with her but I wouldn't recommend taking her out of the vehicle until you reach home (except in the crate) . . . She is mellow here and has never really tested the limits of the harness, but I don't know if she'll be so calm in a strange location. She's a very petite cat and might be able to squirm her way out of the harness if she really made an effort.

The Operation Roger instructions said to send a litter box with pine litter . . . I'm guessing they'll give it to you? Mind you, she's never used pine litter before. I mixed some in with the regular litter today and the cats stared at me as if I were crazy. "WHAT have you infested our litter with??" If you bring a box of Arm & Hammer litter and dump it in a litter box I'm sure she'll use that, though. :3

Oh man, I know what you mean. I told one of my friends about this whole extensive operation--driving out, meeting truckers, cat going to Colorado--and she was bewildered.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Not a lurker

**snicker**

Join the "insane animal person" club...hubby thinks I"m the president already, but I'd gladly resign from that office!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

I took some pictures of Shadow today . . . Unfortunately the place is a mess, but just ignore that part. (I cheated and editted out the worst of it.)

Here she is hanging out on a bookcase I'm emptying out.

Then she and Remy were hanging out on the couch, which looked so cute I had to take a picture!

. . . and then as I got ready to take a second picture, Remy whacked her on the head for no reason at all. Arrrrrgh! As you can see, she is upset and he's wearing his "what are you going to do about it?" face.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Not a lurker

Awww she's rather pretty isn't she! Well no other cats in my home to pick at her, maybe just a nosey dog or two, lol.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Very Food Agressive

Let me just say I'm envious Acamp, I think Shadow is soooo pretty!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Top Dog

Has Shadow made the trek yet?