Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Taxiderpy

Default best shampoo for sores and irritation?

When we had the giant flea battle, we found out that Strider is allergic to fleas. They're mostly gone except for the ocassional ones that hop on him outside, but he's still picking at the sores from their bites. He needs a bath anyway, what kind of shampoo would be best to help him feel better?

I'm a big fan of bio groom products, but didn't know if their medicated tar-sulfur kind would be appropriate, or if I should stick with colloidal oatmeal. Any thoughts? Recommendations?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Active Pup

I love the Coal Tar shampoos for really irriated skin. Either that, or something that has tea tree oil in in. The tea tree oil shampoo stinks to high h*ll, but it works for soothing dry skin. I have nothing for oatmeal shampoos, I honestly see a better result from a medicated shampoo such as the coal tar or the tea tree oil. Just be careful not to OVER bath, bathing more than every other week can dry the skin out even more and just increase your problem.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Salty Sea Dog

charlie has real bad flea allergies and this year they were biting through his frontline (the other dogs have advantix but him and the cat groom eachother)

i know a few things about essential oils, teatree is a great antiseptic and mint is great for itchy and "hot" skin (very soothing) so i whent looking and we had some teatree and peppermint from cain and able left over from when the shop was open, i love their lavender so i tried it and there was a difference almost imdetiatly! he stopped itchying almost imediatly and the redness in his skin was gone within an hour!

it also worked well on my hair when i got a nasty scalp sunburn, soothed it imediatly!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Aging Canine Advocate

my absolute FAVE flea bite shampoo is by Eqyss... called, funnily enough, flea bite shampoo. I've got one allergic to fleas also. It's a great all-time shampoo too, lathers up really well and leaves the coat super soft.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Big Dog

Our dogs have sensitive skin as well.We use Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Easy on the skin with the added benefit of "No More Tears!"
Old 11-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbetcha1018 View Post
Our dogs have sensitive skin as well.We use Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Easy on the skin with the added benefit of "No More Tears!"
You really shouldn't use human shampoo on dogs. Dog skin has a different ph than human skin...

But anyway, our foster had issues with fleas and developed hot spots. We used the Earth Bath Tea Tree Oil formula and it seemed to help him. We use it on the girls now because it smells so good

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Taxiderpy

Thanks everyone! We found a tea tree oil spray that really helps. I love the smell. It reminds me of my chinchillas because we used to treat ringworm on them with it. We found that the ark naturals neem "protect" shampoo works really well to kill his fleas, and the neem seems to be very soothing and healing as well. I may pick up some coal tar shampoo just to have in the arsenal, and see how he does with it.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Couch Pototoe City

I love Kenic. They work great. You might also want to add vitamin E and C to his diet to help him cope with this. For a Borzoi 400 IU of vit E at night and 500 mg Vit C at night. Also take a look into that Inflight I talked to you about. Its fantastic for skin and coat. I swear by it..
Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 PM
rayter

Tomlyn Oatmeal. Its hypoallergenic and the oatmeal soothes the skin.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM
VP Dogs

Hi there
I recently rescued a westie and she was covered in sores from a flea allergy. I used Aloe Vera shampoo which really helped to soothe her skin, and now she has been prescribed Malaseb medicated shampoo from the vets which is antibacterial and antifungal because she has an ongoing skin condition