Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Big Dog

Default Really long quicks...

Uallis has two really long nails that have, what I think, are really long quicks. When I touch the end of the nail, I can feel a little hole, like the nail is possibly hollow??? I assume that is the quick? Last time, I took him in to have his nails done, when I got home, I noticed that the 2 nails looked like they hadn't been touched. Also, you know how when a dogs nails need to be clipped, the nail tapers to a thinner point and that is what you clip off...? On these two nails, it isn't like that...the ends are just as thick as the rest of the nail. So I'm pretty sure that it will be uncomfortable for him, to say the least, if those nails get cut.

I do not want to clip those 2 nails because I'm afraid I'll quick him and I don't really want anyone else to do it either. Mainly because if he gets quicked, I'm afraid that he will not let anyone clip his nails or touch his feet in the future and with a dog as large as he is...there wouldn't be much anyone would be able to do about it. However, I have to get those nails shorter because I'm afraid he'll rip them up, causing him pain or foot issues and because I KNOW with how long they are it has to be a bother to him.

Should I just take a Dremmel to those nails every once in awhile and try that way to get it shorter over time...that is the only thing I can think to do at this point. Would that be painful sanding that close to the quick? I know not to keep the dremmel on his nail for more than a second or so at a time but I'm worried about it hurting him because it will touch the quick itself, if indeed the hollow end is the quick itself...

Thanks for any advice...I am worried that those nails are going to cause an injury of some sort.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Cider will tell you when you get remotely close to her quick. She begins squeaking.. She has been quicked clippers and dremel. Least the dremel cauterizes. I don't think I've ever quicked Smudge, but he begins to let you know when I'm getting close too.

If you haven't dremelled before there is a good dobe page about how to start with desensitizing and the next steps.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM
VP Dogs

Hi there
My westie has the same thing with the really long quicks. It is because I got her aged 1 year old as a rescue dog and she had never had her nails cut. When you cut the nail close to the quick (without catching it of course), the quick then recedes. However, if the nail is never cut the quick itself gets longer and longer. If there is nothing you can cut off without touching the quick, try road walking the dog more because walking on the road will help to keep the nails short. If not, filing the hollow end down slightly shouldnt hurt him and will help the quick to recede.
Hope this helps