Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

So have you found one yet? Yes Jasper was used to cats, we had two for the longest time... he was always really gentle with them (my Siamese used to rub her face on his nose... she's more scared of Tips though).

Just make sure you put the litterbox away from the dog... he absolutely loved eating stuff in there... I use pine litter too, I switched to it a month ago after years of using clay and I'm hooked. Doesn't smell half as bad either.

I've always free fed the cats with kibble and they got cans once or twice a day. Now we only have my Siamese left and she reminds me loudly when it's time for her wet food. I think she really mostly eats that now really (Innova evo).

For the cat toys, I admit I haven't bought any in years because between the dogs and the kids, they'd probably be destroyed or eaten in no time. She used to be an inside/outside cat until we moved, so I bought her a cat tree for here, but she really spends most of her time sleeping or zooming up and down the stairs anyway. Still not sure she'll be an inside or inside/outside cat when we move again... she's not too happy inside anymore and keeps waking us up at night now.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Before we all get giddy over a new kitten...have you tested Lacey with a cat yet?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Not a lurker

Yes she's ok with them, she's interested but doesn't try to hurt them, just nosey.

I haven't found one yet, but haven't been looking very hard either. We still have Lily here so no cat until she's found a new home, I know for a fact she will kill one, so it's that or she can't be in the house. Her potential new owners are still in the middle of moving, but they did call me last week to let me know they hadn't forgotten about her. I think I'll shoot them an email and see whats up.

Last edited by AGonzalez; 09-06-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

Just one thing to consider about allergies: I have a friend who was only mildly allergic to cats, but since she got her own about a year ago, her allergies have been getting progressively worse. She's now to the point where she has to vacuum a few times a week and keep the cat out of her bedroom, and she's hoping the allergies don't get even worse than they are now.

On the other hand, I babysat for a kid who had a long-haired cat, when I was in high school. I would sneeze and cough my way through the evenings at their house every time. But I got my cat about 6 years later, a short-haired cat who LOVES brushing, and have never had a problem.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Just one thing to consider about allergies: I have a friend who was only mildly allergic to cats, but since she got her own about a year ago, her allergies have been getting progressively worse. She's now to the point where she has to vacuum a few times a week and keep the cat out of her bedroom, and she's hoping the allergies don't get even worse than they are now.

On the other hand, I babysat for a kid who had a long-haired cat, when I was in high school. I would sneeze and cough my way through the evenings at their house every time. But I got my cat about 6 years later, a short-haired cat who LOVES brushing, and have never had a problem.
I had a long haired cat growing up, and she never bothered me, until my mom found a short haired kitten in the dumpster (how she found it in a dumpster, I will never know...) and he drove me insane with itchy watery eyes and sneezing. It may have just been the cleanliness difference, as the cat mom found in the dumpster was always a "nasty" kitty and smelled bad, he was just barely toddling when she found him. My other cat was always very clean and never smelled yucky though. My mom has 2 longhaired cats now in her house and they don't bother me much at all, I seem to get used to it.
I'm already on allergy medications as I have lots of other allergies (including dogs, imagine that one) and it keeps me from scratching my face off with them. I'm not objective to having a change in allergy meds or even go to shots so my boy can have a pet. Nobody else seems to have any allergies to anything either, so I can suffer on my own, lol.