Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Resident fainting goat

check craigslist and stuff. because of g-force (the new guinea pig movie) a lot of people went out and bought them on a whim and now they are looking for homes
Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

I would check craiglist, Petfinder & google Guinea pig rescue in ____.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Have you checked petfinder or craigslist? We even have a local rescue group that is specific to guinea pigs!

I'd stay away from petstores--"Guinea pig mills" are as real as puppy mills, believe it or not
No I havent checked them places. But I can't believe there are Guinea Pig mills, thats so sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
check craigslist and stuff. because of g-force (the new guinea pig movie) a lot of people went out and bought them on a whim and now they are looking for homes
Wow, I could believe that though. Its sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pups622 View Post
I would check craiglist, Petfinder & google Guinea pig rescue in ____.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

I got my two from the animal shelter. Somebody had seriously not been nice to them. They were six months old and overweight, with swollen red feet from their previous owners keeping them in a small wire floored cage. They were incredibly hand shy, and for some reason, somebody, probably a little kid, had painted their overgrown nails.
They've been with us for almost two years, and they live in a 2 grid x 4 grid C&C cage.

Guinea Pigs need unlimited Timothy hay, and quality pellets. They can choke on corn and seeds. They also need semi-annual to annunal check ups at an exotic vet, and should be spayed/neutered asap, as females can develop cancer if not spayed. My pigs get daily salads of carrots, lettuce, and sometimes other veggies. Guinea pigs need alot of Vitamin C, but some pig rescues discourage putting drops in their water, because it may discourage them from drinking.

Like someone else said, DO NOT put them in a harness, ball, or wheel. It can cause serious back damage, seeing as their legs are so small, their backs aren't very flexible.

Don't buy a guinea pig from a petstore. They come from disgusting conditions, and may have illnesses or mental issues. I don't know if I've forgotten anything. I hope I haven't discouraged you in any way from adopting a guinea pig. They're great pets, but also need proper care.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I got my two from the animal shelter. Somebody had seriously not been nice to them. They were six months old and overweight, with swollen red feet from their previous owners keeping them in a small wire floored cage. They were incredibly hand shy, and for some reason, somebody, probably a little kid, had painted their overgrown nails.
They've been with us for almost two years, and they live in a 2 grid x 4 grid C&C cage.

Guinea Pigs need unlimited Timothy hay, and quality pellets. They can choke on corn and seeds. They also need semi-annual to annunal check ups at an exotic vet, and should be spayed/neutered asap, as females can develop cancer if not spayed. My pigs get daily salads of carrots, lettuce, and sometimes other veggies. Guinea pigs need alot of Vitamin C, but some pig rescues discourage putting drops in their water, because it may discourage them from drinking.

Like someone else said, DO NOT put them in a harness, ball, or wheel. It can cause serious back damage, seeing as their legs are so small, their backs aren't very flexible.

Don't buy a guinea pig from a petstore. They come from disgusting conditions, and may have illnesses or mental issues. I don't know if I've forgotten anything. I hope I haven't discouraged you in any way from adopting a guinea pig. They're great pets, but also need proper care.

I Have to disagree about the spaying & neutering It should not be done unless 100% the last resort to a health problem Or a Male going in with female's. It is a very dangerous Procedure Especially for females.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Kotah BEAR

Thanks

I'm probably going through a rescue to get mine, when that time comes.
There is a rescue here in Georgia and one in Tennessee that I like.