Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

x-rays are the only way to be 100% sure
also the ability to detect it depends on severity as well as age. the more severe the easier it is to pick it up early.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

I can't dispute you Collie ....but I've never seen it . I agree on the Xray ,though , but bad cases can be suspicioned with manipulation .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
Funny thing with that ... some will swear that is a sure sign that a dog HAS hip problems!!
Haha, I can attest to this... Lucy has horrible hips (she has legg-perthes disease) and she lays like that ALL the time!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
There's always that one that stumps everyone! lol
Yes. And pleasantly so in his case. Our best guess is that what we thought was beginnings of HD is actually muscular issues and that it's caused by him switching his weight off his front end because of arthritis near his withers and his back end just can't support it.

Sometimes what looks like HD in physical exams is actually a chiro problem - the spine out of alignment pulling hips out of position. This can even look like HD on x-rays and if you do chiro and redo the x-rays the hips will look better.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Crazy Dog!

Amstaff, what is the huge worry with HD? Did one of your dogs turn up with it and now you are super worried? Nothing wrong with being informed and knowledgeable on the subject, but I was just wondering.

My advice, whether you choose breeder or rescue, is to pick a dog that has a normal gait and no stiffness or soreness or reluctance to play. Keep the dog in good muscle tone and at a good weight. HD is bad, but its not the end of the world, and its most certainly not the only thing that can happen.

God luck!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
Amstaff, what is the huge worry with HD? Did one of your dogs turn up with it and now you are super worried? Nothing wrong with being informed and knowledgeable on the subject, but I was just wondering.

My advice, whether you choose breeder or rescue, is to pick a dog that has a normal gait and no stiffness or soreness or reluctance to play. Keep the dog in good muscle tone and at a good weight. HD is bad, but its not the end of the world, and its most certainly not the only thing that can happen.

God luck!
No Sal is good and Athena didn't have HD but I did have a Rottie with HD. I just want to make the best decisions possible. I am just trying to try to avoid problems in the future. I am not sure what you are saying by "Huge worry" it is important and something I would like to avoid and if a few people can give me advice on how to see it early....what is wrong with asking?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 AM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
No Sal is good and Athena didn't have HD but I did have a Rottie with HD. I just want to make the best decisions possible. I am just trying to try to avoid problems in the future. I am not sure what you are saying by "Huge worry" it is important and something I would like to avoid and if a few people can give me advice on how to see it early....what is wrong with asking?
I didn't mean to offend, I just saw your post here and one earlier in the breeding forum about HD. Absolutely I agree with being informed and making good descisions.

The general rule that OFA tells breeders is, you can expect the puppies to be within two grade of the parents. Therefore, if both parents have an "excellent" hip rating you can expect that none of the puppies will fall below a "fair" rating. If one parent is a "fair", you could end up with a "moderate dysplastic" or an "excellent" or anything inbetween. Of course, they don't guarantee this it just a rule of thumb really. Good breeders will have a clause on hips. Very few do a lifetime gurarantee, but most good breeders will give you 24-36 months to get an OFA done. For a shelter dog, you can ask to have it evaluated by your own vet before taking it. I would suggest this not only for physical soundness but parasites as well. Our local shelter is famous for having outbreaks of parvo among other things.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I can't dispute you Collie ....but I've never seen it . I agree on the Xray ,though , but bad cases can be suspicioned with manipulation .
I wasn't hinting that your dogs had a problem, just that I've heard about 50/50 comments on that exact thing ... half say it's a sign of a problem, the other half say it means no problem. I was just making conversation ...

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)