Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,009
Default

x-rays are the only way to be 100% sure
also the ability to detect it depends on severity as well as age. the more severe the easier it is to pick it up early.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

I can't dispute you Collie ....but I've never seen it . I agree on the Xray ,though , but bad cases can be suspicioned with manipulation .
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is online now
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
Funny thing with that ... some will swear that is a sure sign that a dog HAS hip problems!!
Haha, I can attest to this... Lucy has horrible hips (she has legg-perthes disease) and she lays like that ALL the time!
__________________
"And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot"

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
corgipower's Avatar
corgipower corgipower is offline
Tweleve Enthusiest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: here
Posts: 8,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
There's always that one that stumps everyone! lol
Yes. And pleasantly so in his case. Our best guess is that what we thought was beginnings of HD is actually muscular issues and that it's caused by him switching his weight off his front end because of arthritis near his withers and his back end just can't support it.

Sometimes what looks like HD in physical exams is actually a chiro problem - the spine out of alignment pulling hips out of position. This can even look like HD on x-rays and if you do chiro and redo the x-rays the hips will look better.
__________________
The slayer of all things happy since 2010
Kibble feeder since 1973

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
OutlineACDs's Avatar
OutlineACDs OutlineACDs is offline
Crazy Dog!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,341
Default

Amstaff, what is the huge worry with HD? Did one of your dogs turn up with it and now you are super worried? Nothing wrong with being informed and knowledgeable on the subject, but I was just wondering.

My advice, whether you choose breeder or rescue, is to pick a dog that has a normal gait and no stiffness or soreness or reluctance to play. Keep the dog in good muscle tone and at a good weight. HD is bad, but its not the end of the world, and its most certainly not the only thing that can happen.

God luck!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Amstaffer's Avatar
Amstaffer Amstaffer is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 3,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
Amstaff, what is the huge worry with HD? Did one of your dogs turn up with it and now you are super worried? Nothing wrong with being informed and knowledgeable on the subject, but I was just wondering.

My advice, whether you choose breeder or rescue, is to pick a dog that has a normal gait and no stiffness or soreness or reluctance to play. Keep the dog in good muscle tone and at a good weight. HD is bad, but its not the end of the world, and its most certainly not the only thing that can happen.

God luck!
No Sal is good and Athena didn't have HD but I did have a Rottie with HD. I just want to make the best decisions possible. I am just trying to try to avoid problems in the future. I am not sure what you are saying by "Huge worry" it is important and something I would like to avoid and if a few people can give me advice on how to see it early....what is wrong with asking?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 AM
OutlineACDs's Avatar
OutlineACDs OutlineACDs is offline
Crazy Dog!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
No Sal is good and Athena didn't have HD but I did have a Rottie with HD. I just want to make the best decisions possible. I am just trying to try to avoid problems in the future. I am not sure what you are saying by "Huge worry" it is important and something I would like to avoid and if a few people can give me advice on how to see it early....what is wrong with asking?
I didn't mean to offend, I just saw your post here and one earlier in the breeding forum about HD. Absolutely I agree with being informed and making good descisions.

The general rule that OFA tells breeders is, you can expect the puppies to be within two grade of the parents. Therefore, if both parents have an "excellent" hip rating you can expect that none of the puppies will fall below a "fair" rating. If one parent is a "fair", you could end up with a "moderate dysplastic" or an "excellent" or anything inbetween. Of course, they don't guarantee this it just a rule of thumb really. Good breeders will have a clause on hips. Very few do a lifetime gurarantee, but most good breeders will give you 24-36 months to get an OFA done. For a shelter dog, you can ask to have it evaluated by your own vet before taking it. I would suggest this not only for physical soundness but parasites as well. Our local shelter is famous for having outbreaks of parvo among other things.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-31-2009, 05:33 PM
colliewog's Avatar
colliewog colliewog is offline
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I can't dispute you Collie ....but I've never seen it . I agree on the Xray ,though , but bad cases can be suspicioned with manipulation .
I wasn't hinting that your dogs had a problem, just that I've heard about 50/50 comments on that exact thing ... half say it's a sign of a problem, the other half say it means no problem. I was just making conversation ...
__________________
Katie + the Workin' Girls

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site