Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-29-2009, 09:30 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Default Garlic for fleas? How much

How much garlic can i give Ruckus (43lbs) and Lynn (32lbs) daily in there food.
Lynn is on comfortis and is doing great on it. Not a flea one! However Ruckus can not take comfortis because it gives him very bad runs. Where I live frontline, or advantage/advantix does not even work. It cuts fleas about in half, but I do not want to use something potentially dangerous and STILL have fleas on him!

Also, is minced garlic okay? How much?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Felurian

Raw garlic is NOT okay for dogs. Really, prepared garlic should be allowed very sparingly. The oils from the plants in the allium family (garlic, onions, ramps, etc.) contain a substance that can cause red blood cells in dogs and cats to mutate so that they don't carry oxygen effectively, causing anemia.

I have to wonder if that's why it's somewhat effective against fleas -- they won't feed off of the damaged red blood cells.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Active Pup

For Ruckus, give him 3/4 tsp minced garlic in his food every day. For Lynn, give her 1/2 tsp in her food. I breed Westies, and I use garlic for them. Works like a charm! There is a toxin in garlic, but there is so very little you would have to feed them massive amounts daily. It is perfectly safe, given in the small amounts required for flea control. It does not build up in their system. The reason it works so well for fleas is that it gives the animal a certain scent (only parasites can smell it).
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoastwesty View Post
I breed Westies, and I use garlic for them. Works like a charm!
I thought you only had one Westie? What do you mean by "them?" What kennel name do you breed under? Always nice to know another Westie owner/exhibitor/breeder

Renee, I have heard garlic is safe to use as a flea/tick preventive in small doses. . . I put my dogs on it a few years back (and with Westies, I hate using topical medication on their jackets/coat), but because we didn't have a flea/tick problem before, I didn't see the need and after hearing such controversy information on it, I didn't really see the point. Sorry OP, not very helpful, hopefully someone else can chime in, I know I was told 1/2 a clove for my 15lb bitch at the time a few times a week (not every day).
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Thanks guys. I have already gave it to them a few times. So far they are fine. I think I am going to stop for a few days to do my research.

Surly its no where near as dangerous as putting a spot on treatment on the dogs
Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dogs View Post
I thought you only had one Westie? What do you mean by "them?" What kennel name do you breed under? Always nice to know another Westie owner/exhibitor/breeder

Renee, I have heard garlic is safe to use as a flea/tick preventive in small doses. . . I put my dogs on it a few years back (and with Westies, I hate using topical medication on their jackets/coat), but because we didn't have a flea/tick problem before, I didn't see the need and after hearing such controversy information on it, I didn't really see the point. Sorry OP, not very helpful, hopefully someone else can chime in, I know I was told 1/2 a clove for my 15lb bitch at the time a few times a week (not every day).
I'd always heard that too -- even tried it, with zero results. And then I did the research for a series of articles I had to write . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian