Dog Food question

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Are we feeding our dog the wrong food? She gets half dry dog food and half wet. Here are the wet foods first couple of ingredients, Sufficient water for processing, poultry, beef, meat by-products, wheat flour, animal liver, and wheat gluten. We are not able to feed all wet food because it is rather expensive, and we a little hard on times now. but feeding all dry sounds so nasty to us.

Her teeth are brown, and I am wondering if it is okay for you to wash the teeth our self, and what products to use.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Actually feeding the dry food helps to clean their teeth with the hard dry kibble. Her teeth are probably brown because her foods soft and wet from the wet food and it's not cleaning them.
They have dog toothbrushes with toothpaste at places like Walmart, but I"m not sure how effective it is, maybe someone else can chime in.

ETA: Raw bones are a good way for your dog to clean their teeth, chicken backs and necks have been suggested (uncooked only) :)

Maxy24

wet does not cause teeth problems and dry does very little to help. Maybe it will put off the amount of time it takes for teeth to rot but not by much. Dogs teeth will slowly go bad on any commercial kibble or wet food, the only dogs/cats who keep really nice teeth all their lives IME are raw fed animals. Wet food is generally higher in protein than dry food. I know for cats dry food is extremely unhealthy because of carbohydrate content that wet does not have. Dogs do handle carbs much better than cats (although I do believe dry food contributes to obesity in dogs as well) but I would not hesitate to say wet is healthier than dry in general. BUT it is expensive and for a dog (cats are a different story) there is nothing wrong with feeding dry, so don't worry about having to feed all wet food.

As far as that wet food goes, I would not feed it. First off there is more water in it than anything (first ingredient is the most abundant ingredient). Poultry is not specific, it could be chicken, turkey, duck, goose, etc. you should KNOW what is in your food, this product could even use a different poultry (chicken in one batch, duck in another) each time which could lead to tummy upsets in a sensitive dog and can make dealing with any allergies impossible.

Meat-By-Products are the parts of an animal other than meat. Again you have no idea what animal this is coming from at all, when the term "meat" is used, according to the dog food project website
The animal parts used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, misc. roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters and so on. It can also include pus, cancerous tissue, and decomposed (spoiled) tissue.
Not all by products are bad, organs are always nice and other parts are fine. The big problem is you still don't know what you are feeding. Again the amount of by product may be different in every batch. One batch might be liver and other organs, next batch might be feet and bones, next might be eggs found inside slaughtered animal. It's inconsistent, unknown nutrition and much of it IS indeed inferior nutrition.

finally, wheat flour and wheat gluten are automatic rejects for me they serve absolutely no purpose in a pet food, they are nutritionally empty for a dog. They cause poor overall condition to the dog because they are used instead of lots of nice healthy, nutritious meat. wheat is also a very common allergen in dogs.

So I don't think this is a good food. If you do not know about dog nutrition yet then chances are that the dry food is worse, it tends to be more grain heavy than wet food. But I also doubt that switching to a high quality food will do too much to your dog's teeth, it will help him in other areas (coat, energy, stench, nail quality, etc.) but not teeth.

Would you like some food suggestions?

I agree with ACampbell that raw meaty bones are great for cleaning teeth. I don't feel comfortable with recreational bones (risk of teeth breaking), but edible ones like necks and backs as were mentioned along with some others are great.

Dog tooth brushes and tooth paste are also available and work to remove plaque (not tartar), they don't work as well as the bones but they will definitely slow the build up of nastiness no your dog's teeth if they are brushed at least every three days. However your dog's teeth are already bad so he will probably still need a cleaning even if you start brushing and feeding raw bones right away. After the cleaning (ask the vet if he needs one but by the sound of it he does) start working hard on that oral health.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Okay, thanks guys! I will try the raw bones, we have a couple in the fridge right now. *Is off too persuade mom to let me use them*

I don't think we are able to go to the vet. I would love too, but convincing my family is another thing, we don't have a lot of money, and they don't won't think that that would be necessary. But, I shall do my best to persuade them. I am only 14, so I can't drive there myself. Well, Thanks! I am so glad I found this forum, you guys on it are great!

Maxy24

I totally understand being young and having no say, I was 15 when I joined this forum and am 17 now. Although I must say that since gaining knowledge here my parents do have more respect for me when it comes to our pets, they know I know more than them.

If you do feed the bones make sure you keep a close eye on the dog especially since it's her first time. What kind of bones are they?

I make sure that my dog is healthy all the time, that's why I choose foods for him that is good for his health. Previously, I feed my dog with all meat but I read in one of the article that full meat diet is not good for dog health. Right now I'm giving my dog a complete balance diet a grain based diets.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's not all that accurate. While dogs, being more scavengers, *can* digest grains better than an obligate carnivore (cats), grains are still not recommended as a full-time part of a dog's balanced diet.

While you can't just go around feeding your dog ground hamburger all the time (he needs bones to balance out the calcium/phosphorus ratios and organ meats to provide other key nutrients), a balanced raw diet is one of the most biologically appropriate and healthy diets you can feed to your dog. Barring that, there are plenty of high-quality grain-free kibbles and even high-quality kibbles with certain, healthier types of grain. Corn, wheat, soy and barley really are not very good for dogs.

Members online

No members online now.