Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

Its called "Ovotrol"
Kittens and puppies under 3 pounds you do as SMkie said and spray a towel and wrap the baby up in it.

I had it cleared by three different vet offices just to be safe.

Both pups are doing well.

Mandie
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesgift View Post
Its called "Ovotrol"
Kittens and puppies under 3 pounds you do as SMkie said and spray a towel and wrap the baby up in it.

I had it cleared by three different vet offices just to be safe.

Both pups are doing well.

Mandie
I think that's just a pyrethrin-based spray ... been around for years.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I had nightmares for a week afterwards on those kittens. THere were so many that when the kittens opened their mouth the swarming fleas fell in. You couldn't even see their face. THey were lucky to be alive at all. I had to mop them off with another cloth that didn't have the stuff on it. Made my skin crawl. I helped the neighbor bomb her home, change the bedding and that was the end of that.

I generally prefer just to use soap and water on babies. Change the bedding..treat the area with borax and work it in good if there is carpet with a broom. BUt these were so bad there just wasn't any other way.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
I had nightmares for a week afterwards on those kittens. THere were so many that when the kittens opened their mouth the swarming fleas fell in. You couldn't even see their face. THey were lucky to be alive at all. I had to mop them off with another cloth that didn't have the stuff on it. Made my skin crawl. I helped the neighbor bomb her home, change the bedding and that was the end of that.

I generally prefer just to use soap and water on babies. Change the bedding..treat the area with borax and work it in good if there is carpet with a broom. BUt these were so bad there just wasn't any other way.
I share your thoughts. The first thing we did with these babies is bath them with Dawn, But even then well we were drying them we could see them swarming in their ears and see them in their fur. We used a flea comb and tried to get as many as we could off.

Then I posted here b/c it was just SO horrible.

So far I havent seen any fleas on them since we used the ovitrol.

Today we bombed our house..burned their beddng. (extreme but best way) *crosses fingures! THANKFULLY our dogs are utd with Frontline. ty frontline.

And I have to keep capstar on hand just b/c it works with some of my rehabs and when I need it I have ot have it. So when they turn 4 weeks they will have that.

Mandie
Old 08-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

How awful! How can someone be so uncaring and lazy as that woman. What a horror story about these pups' Mom. How very sad.

That sounds like an extreme infestation of fleas. Fleas can kill dogs. I'm so very glad you saved them and got them fixed up. You are an angel. I hope they continue to thrive and get some good forever homes when the time comes. Kudos Mandie!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson