Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

Default Doberman Conformation and Bitework

I was looking at some Dobermans and was wondering about those long thin necks vs the thicker necks of the shepherds. It seems even the European working line Dobes have long/thin necks. The thicker-necked shepherds get neck injuries, particularly during long sends. How do Dobermans fare? Are they just are they more suited to close-contact PP vs "offense?" Am I being deluded by the shepherd hair?

Just curious.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Sprayin' the spiders

I'm confused by the question?

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach

http://threedogtrainingblog.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

I think the question is.... Is the dobie ill suited for sport bite work because of a slighter build increasing the possibility of neck injury.

That sound right?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

Yeah

I'm not really concerned about the rest of the body, but their necks do not seem like they would take the impact of hitting a decoy at 15 mph (or whatever speed they're going) very well. Which could be sport work or police work (albeit there are no dramatic leaps). GSDs get neck injuries, and their necks seem to be stockier and thicker. I was wondering a how Doberman with what appears to be a more poorly built neck would take the impact.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

that's easy, it's really hard to find a doberman that comes with any speed so it isnt really an issue
Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Top Dog

Compared to GSDs, I think it would be a lot harder to find good working dogs. Not a knock on Dobies, but there are just a lot more GSD working line breeders.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

that's true. actually we do have a good dobie prospect that just started training. We're all pleasantly suprised and excited for the puppy and owners. But seriously, it's been over 3 years since any have come thru that even had potential. As a working dog, the dobe has fallen along ways. there are some nice ones, but hard to come by for sure.

as for the neck being "frail" in work, i wouldn't be to worried about it.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

There are far more tooth injuries than neck injuries.

A good helper goes a long way to minimize the risk to the neck...unless you have a melonhead whose legs move faster than his brain .

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Snow Girl

There are a few breeders in the US who are breeding Dobes for work that seem to have a stockier build over all to them. Might be something to look into... I know one of them was trying out a Airdale/Dobie cross with quite a bit of success (bringing working strains of Airdales back to life)

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

My guess is virtually all neck injuries in the sport venue are the result of decoy error. Jamming the dog by catching him wrong. Decoys are very important in sport work. When you say catch the dog, that is literally what you are doing, giving the dog a target and having that target be soft- moving away from the dog, not towards it, as it leaps for the bite.

I think in a law enforcement application, the dog is rarely taking a high flying bite at a bad guy who is facing them like a decoy would do in sport. The bad guy is either running away, and the dog will grab the closest thing to him, or the bad guy is hiding and the dog goes in and grabs the closest thing to him. Law enforcement isn't giving points on a nice arm bite, they just want the dog to bite and hold on. Same goes for a personal protection situation. There is NEVER a reason for a personal protection dog to be sent after someone who is either running away or even running towards you. PP stuff is a lot more close range- bad guy grabs handler, dog bites. Bad guy breaks into house, dog bites. All stuff that is close range biting and the dog will rarely be moving at top speed over a distance.