Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Remembering Casey ♥

I think somebody with dekkas knowlegde would have to pass on that offer.

I would take my $700 and go to a REPUTABLE breeder thank you very much.

Have a good day sir! Dont forget to deny your dogs a warm home to sleep in and a vet to keep them healthy! Im sure they are happier Outside in a pen with a cold hard doghouse or chained up with a cold hard doghouse. Deealing with the discomfort of raising a Large litter.

Maybe if yuour former dogs had a vet they could have lived even longer then 11-17 years.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Salty Sea Dog

as a wildlife rehabber i cna honsetly say comparing your dogs births to that of "wild dogs" and how thats the "best way" and "natural" is like saying "oh and i dont care about the death rate.
average wolf litters are 3 pups, they are lucky is 2 of those 3 survive their first winter.
foxes again average litter is only 2 pups, if one leaves the den thats considered "great"
coyotes will generlaly have 3 pups and again if 2 survive their first winter thats considered wonderfull...
comparing this "natural" outdoor mommy raises the pups with no intervention thing is..to me...is like saying "i dont care if the pups get fleas, ticks, ant bites, damp, chilled...ect..."

saying the natural way is the best way, is NOT the best way to go about things when the survival rate of young wild canines is low on a good day.

theres no mention of health testing...and since these dogs NEVER go to a vet its obvious they havent been tested (and yes, even "aborigional dogs" primitve breeds ect should get at least the bare minimum of testing even if these salukies came form the purest of the origional lines...)
and you just pain said your dogs rarely catch...so im guessing no feild trials ect...nothing to say your sighthounds are better than joe blows sighthounds down the road.

then to offer to sell one to someone halfway round the world who youve never met...
the homes lined up for these pups are actually just some friends and people that came forward?

this is a very none chalaunt attitude towards breeding and while things are done different in different countries (and im all for a good hunting kennel breeding correctly), and mabe theres a language barrier thats making things seem terrible, but seriously, in every country ive been to (and thats alot) this entire set up woudl be a BYB.

in their prime days saluki (along with afghan and other sighhounds were considered HIGH value, they would share their masters tents, puppies would have been born under the cover of the tent, they would have been fed prime meat, they would have been too highly valuable to EVER let a hunting saluki birth in the dirt outside.

any dog can have puppies in a wooden box, or in the dirt...doesnt mean its the best for the dog or her puppies...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 07-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Active Pup

What technically "aboriginal" dogs? Also, what is/are rustic dogs and what is a Saluki? And what are fru fru dogs?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Just try me..

aboriginal means native, or naturally occurring, don't know what rustic is. A saluki is an ancient sight hound breed.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

"fru fru" in this case would probably mean spoiled, 'wimpy' dogs in my assumption, as in a working breed that has no instinct or ability. Many people feel that house pets that do not work are 'fru fru'. (The word is actually 'frou frou' though ... might be easier to find that way):

frou·frou
Pronunciation:
\***712;frü-(***716;)frü\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French, of imitative origin
Date:

1 : a rustling especially of a woman's skirts
2 : showy or frilly ornamentation

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

When I was a child my parents (roving nature photographers) once visited an acquaintance who bred Salukis and Appaloosas out west somewhere. I remember the beauty of the dogs, feeling squeamish when hearing that they ran down prey and killed it on a regular basis, and the absolutely adorable litter of puppies gated in the kitchen with their black and tan mother. A memorable experience all around, but one that leads me to believe that even working "aboriginal" dogs are bred and raised indoors.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Twin 2.0

I can see where the OP might be coming from, but weren't Salukis treated like royalty and slept in the tents with their masters and such, even in the desert?

Foxes and coyotes have a poor survival rate, mostly due to poor nutrition. These dogs at least have someone feeding them regularly and vaccinating. It's not ideal conditions, especially for those of us who don't have strictly hunting dogs, but that mother looks in great condition, especially considering she just had 10 pups.
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
2 : showy or frilly ornamentation
kinda funny... we have been accused of having ornaments before... so your probably right on the definition of "frou-frou"!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:46 PM
tessa_s212

You're wasting your money on vaccines. OTC vaccines are often ineffective due to improper handling. Please have your dogs seen by a vet. Denying them veterinary care isn't natural, it is neglect.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Big Dog

SaltyWench, all those writings about several breeds of aboriginal origin are put together to create a glamorous aura for the breed, a sales pitch tehcnique. People rewriting this nonsence again and again from each other and readers believe it. Saluki and Tazy are "clean" dog to a Muslim. This is true, this is why he separates them the other "bad and dirty" dogs. In fact, Saluki and Tazi like to roll over stinky matter found on the steppe grass or on the sand, just like all other natural dogs. Bassengy is "clean like a cat". In fact, it is rolling over allkind of stinky carrion and even used motor oil! Name Pharaoh Hound is invented by British gentry. In fact this is a rabbit catching dog of Malta and Pharaohs have a dubious connection with it. Of course, rich Shekhs kept them in their rich tents. However, Saluki type dogs are distributed from NW Africa, across Middel East, Crimea, Caucasus and to Central Asia. In a tent of poor Bedouin, you would be horrified how hot it is in those tents under desert sun. Poor Arabs ate not a fancy food and, when they had enough, they fed the same to their dogs. How about one pitta bred a day? Dog were supplementing their diet by catching groundsquirrels and jerboas. Veterinary service have never been available, there were no "testings", except one: the dog had to catch hares. I have a few articles written by people who know of aboriginal breed through their own, first hand experience. E-mail me in private and I will send them to you as e-mail attachments.