Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Just try me..

Ground beef is not balanced or good for dogs (if thats the sole source of food) there is little to no calcium in ground beef.

I too am a lover of the working dog.. but still think all pregnant animals and babies should have the best start possible.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Salty Sea Dog

My concerns are more
1 ground beef...this is not balanced alone so hopefully there's more interms of balance in the diet than ground meat
2 no vet involved, I'm REALY hopinging this is their way of saying natural birth and that the owner has had the mother and pups at least quick looked over...

Personally I also have huge isseues with birthing in a wooden kennel...bare wood cannot be properly cleaned and sanitized.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 07-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
So your proud of this Becaaaaauuuuuusee????
I would be proud only, when I know they do well in homes of their new owners. Now, I enjoy feeding the mother and watching them.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Ground beef is not balanced or good for dogs (if thats the sole source of food) there is little to no calcium in ground beef.

I too am a lover of the working dog.. but still think all pregnant animals and babies should have the best start possible.
I feed kibbles as well. Some venison with bones, etc.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Big Dog

In her home country, she would dig her own den in dirt. She is one of those so-called primitive aboriginal breeds, reproducing almost like wild animals. Wolves, foxes and other canids have dens on bare dirt, no sanitation is needed. All my dogs give birth right on the floor of the doghouse and some dig their dens under the doghouse. Then, I have to watch so the pups would not get flooded in heavy rains.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Big Dog

Honestly, I have to admit that my environment is far from being ideal for hunting with a Saluki; mountains, thorny shrubs and small fields. They chase cottontails a lot, but they are very different from hares; they dive in the first hole or in a pile of branches, etc. Catching is rare. However, they chase foxes and coyotes well, fast and far, which helps to protect our free ranging chickens.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Just try me..

Women still give birth in the 'wild' too.. doesn't make it the safest. Horses can give birth all alone etc etc.

Parturition is the most dangerous time in an animal's life. IMO if you breed an animal YOU are responsible for that animal and its offspring's health. The death rate for fox/wolf/coyote pups is very high....
Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Big Dog

This is not my first breeding. I choose aboriginal dogs. All I need to do is to provide a good doghouse in a shady place, water and quality food. The rest is done by the dog. A good dog does not need anything else, except freedom to run and investigate the surroundings. I knew that some may be irritated by my attitude, but this is what makes dogs our friends and companions against the wild. I raised dozens of litters of Laikas and Airedale Terriers; all the same way. My puppies never got sick, or died and I never called vets. However, I do vaccinations at home. Moreover, my dogs never needed a vet in their entire life. They lived until age of 11-17 years. I am promoting natural way of keeping dogs. This is how they lived for millennia before "modern attitude" became established ( a sort of legislated love) and best of them still can live this way.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Just try me..

I am not saying no natural.. but really.. anyway a saluki is NOT an aboriginal dog to someone living in the US.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Big Dog

Some of my friends asked for a puppy. A few prospective buyers emerged. Of course, 10 is too many. I can reserve one female for you, if you have right environment for a sighthound. It is $700 only.