My Adel gave birth to 10 puppies

ufimych

Yes, she is 3 years old now and I breed her for the first time. As I wrote earlier, my Saluki live outside a year around here, in Virginia climate. No problem with this, only benefits. They are ready to jump out of their pens and run at any moment, when I am ready. Adel gave birth to pups on July 3 and I know who will buy my puppies. Even while nursing the pups, she does not mind to run for five-ten minutes and even flash a rabbit! She eats 2-3 pounds of ground beef per day and the pups grow rapidly.

Prior to giving birth, she cleaned inside the doghouse, leaving just bare plywood floor. Everything is going on naturally. No vets involved and I do not intervene, except handling the pups.

Well, it is good to see a bitch delivering without needing intervention. Always good to have access to a vet in case there's a problem though.

Definitely a plus that you've got homes lined up for them. What are your girl's bloodlines? The sire's?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Can you tell us what your plans for this litter are/why you chose to breed at this time?

Pops2

he's breeding rustic hunters not lapdogs or fru fru dogs. the exciting things here are that bitch had such strong mothering instincts on her first litter & her constitution is such that she is anxious to run/hunt so soon after delivery. these things are of great concern to people breeding a rustic working dog because they are traits that get passed on to at least some of the pups. and they are an indication of the physical vigor of your line. also this person is from russia or one of the old soviet republics so their english doesn't express well and they may have stopped with what they knew for sure how to say.
i am happy for you. so what kind of game has she caught? is she a sprinter or a stayer? what is the sire's running style? are they consistant workers?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I was trying to point out something like the above but couldn't quite remember if my facts were straight or not.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
he's breeding rustic hunters not lapdogs or fru fru dogs. the exciting things here are that bitch had such strong mothering instincts on her first litter & her constitution is such that she is anxious to run/hunt so soon after delivery. these things are of great concern to people breeding a rustic working dog because they are traits that get passed on to at least some of the pups. and they are an indication of the physical vigor of your line. also this person is from russia or one of the old soviet republics so their english doesn't express well and they may have stopped with what they knew for sure how to say.
i am happy for you. so what kind of game has she caught? is she a sprinter or a stayer? what is the sire's running style? are they consistant workers?
It has nothing to do with fru fru dogs or lap dogs. Saying that is just ignorant. Being a coonhound enthusist, and I am looking at hunting kennels when I get one, I understand the difference. What we dont like is a bitch having puppies outside in a wodden dog house, and the owner bragging about this.

Dekka

Just try me..
Ground beef is not balanced or good for dogs (if thats the sole source of food) there is little to no calcium in ground beef.

I too am a lover of the working dog.. but still think all pregnant animals and babies should have the best start possible.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
My concerns are more
1 ground beef...this is not balanced alone so hopefully there's more interms of balance in the diet than ground meat
2 no vet involved, I'm REALY hopinging this is their way of saying natural birth and that the owner has had the mother and pups at least quick looked over...

Personally I also have huge isseues with birthing in a wooden kennel...bare wood cannot be properly cleaned and sanitized.

ufimych

Ground beef is not balanced or good for dogs (if thats the sole source of food) there is little to no calcium in ground beef.

I too am a lover of the working dog.. but still think all pregnant animals and babies should have the best start possible.
I feed kibbles as well. Some venison with bones, etc.

ufimych

In her home country, she would dig her own den in dirt. She is one of those so-called primitive aboriginal breeds, reproducing almost like wild animals. Wolves, foxes and other canids have dens on bare dirt, no sanitation is needed. All my dogs give birth right on the floor of the doghouse and some dig their dens under the doghouse. Then, I have to watch so the pups would not get flooded in heavy rains.

ufimych

Honestly, I have to admit that my environment is far from being ideal for hunting with a Saluki; mountains, thorny shrubs and small fields. They chase cottontails a lot, but they are very different from hares; they dive in the first hole or in a pile of branches, etc. Catching is rare. However, they chase foxes and coyotes well, fast and far, which helps to protect our free ranging chickens.

Dekka

Just try me..
Women still give birth in the 'wild' too.. doesn't make it the safest. Horses can give birth all alone etc etc.

Parturition is the most dangerous time in an animal's life. IMO if you breed an animal YOU are responsible for that animal and its offspring's health. The death rate for fox/wolf/coyote pups is very high....

ufimych

This is not my first breeding. I choose aboriginal dogs. All I need to do is to provide a good doghouse in a shady place, water and quality food. The rest is done by the dog. A good dog does not need anything else, except freedom to run and investigate the surroundings. I knew that some may be irritated by my attitude, but this is what makes dogs our friends and companions against the wild. I raised dozens of litters of Laikas and Airedale Terriers; all the same way. My puppies never got sick, or died and I never called vets. However, I do vaccinations at home. Moreover, my dogs never needed a vet in their entire life. They lived until age of 11-17 years. I am promoting natural way of keeping dogs. This is how they lived for millennia before "modern attitude" became established ( a sort of legislated love) and best of them still can live this way.

Dekka

Just try me..
I am not saying no natural.. but really.. anyway a saluki is NOT an aboriginal dog to someone living in the US.

ufimych

Some of my friends asked for a puppy. A few prospective buyers emerged. Of course, 10 is too many. I can reserve one female for you, if you have right environment for a sighthound. It is $700 only.

Members online