Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Puppy Dog

just an update. Riley has tape tapeworms and a internal parasite called coccidia But other than that he is well ...treatment has already begun!
We also went with Interceptor for heart worm meds and got frontline for fleas.

Thanks again ....more questions coming!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Top Dog

Hope all goes well now !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
ACoops favorite

Did you get to see both parents? Did both parents look like your puppy in regards to how they were colored?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Twin 2.0

Someone with 47 dogs that sends home a pup with tapeworms and coccidia is NOT someone you want to deal with in the future. Sounds like this guy is an Aussie puppymill.

I hope your guy recovers quickly and you could use Sentinel but since you're already using Interceptor, I don't know why you would double up? Interceptor also protects against intenstinal worms, or at least the most common ones.

Canidae...be careful with this. Canidae is not as good of a food as it was a couple years ago; they shifted the ingredients and a LOT of people have had issues with it since. If you can, give us a list of what your feed store sells (if that's the only place you can get your food) and we can tell you what might be good choices. Otherwise, let us know what type of pet stores are in your area and we can help you pick something out from there as well.

Myself, I've had great results with my Aussie on Innova (The Healthiest Pet Foods in the World Natural & Organic Pet Food Natura Pet Products). The website has a store finder feature as well.

Sammgirl, with Aussies, there isn't going to be anything the coat color will tell you, since Aussies have such varying colorations.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog7879 View Post
just an update. Riley has tape tapeworms and a internal parasite called coccidia But other than that he is well ...treatment has already begun!
We also went with Interceptor for heart worm meds and got frontline for fleas.

Thanks again ....more questions coming!
Kenya had coccidia when I adopted her also. the medicine for coccidia for us was a powder and its very yucky, so much sure to get some yummy moist food so he eats it up ground beef also works well for that kind of thing
oh and when he poops, pick it up, and spray bleach on the area if you can.. coccidia will live in the ground and come back.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammgirl View Post
Did you get to see both parents? Did both parents look like your puppy in regards to how they were colored?
Parents and grand parents were on site...yes they looked the same in color.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Puppy Dog

/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Someone with 47 dogs that sends home a pup with tapeworms and coccidia is NOT someone you want to deal with in the future. Sounds like this guy is an Aussie puppymill.
Quote:
he had dewormed them but i guess OTA dewormer does not worm on tapeworms. This guy lives for his dogs ..he was some guy in the country and he said he only leave his house to go get dog food. There was only 2 litters out of 47 dogs so im not sure...if it was an aussie mill? He did offer at anytime if the dog got sick that he would take him back and nurse him back to health...But that might just be BS
I hope your guy recovers quickly and you could use Sentinel but since you're already using Interceptor, I don't know why you would double up? Interceptor also protects against intenstinal worms, or at least the most common ones.
Quote:
I just wanted to make sure sentinel was safe for the aussie breed...Got interceptor for this maybe next month ill go with the sentinel
Canidae...be careful with this. Canidae is not as good of a food as it was a couple years ago; they shifted the ingredients and a LOT of people have had issues with it since. If you can, give us a list of what your feed store sells (if that's the only place you can get your food) and we can tell you what might be good choices. Otherwise, let us know what type of pet stores are in your area and we can help you pick something out from there as well.
Quote:
I did some research on this and there is some mix reviews..so far so good..Thanks for the heads up!!.. Also i live in virginia beach so there is a lot of pet stores in this area....Thanks again
Myself, I've had great results with my Aussie on Innova (The Healthiest Pet Foods in the World Natural & Organic Pet Food Natura Pet Products). The website has a store finder feature as well.

Sammgirl, with Aussies, there isn't going to be anything the coat color will tell you, since Aussies have such varying colorations.
Quote:
what are you getting at???
Thanks again for all your help and advise.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Kenya had coccidia when I adopted her also. the medicine for coccidia for us was a powder and its very yucky, so much sure to get some yummy moist food so he eats it up ground beef also works well for that kind of thing
oh and when he poops, pick it up, and spray bleach on the area if you can.. coccidia will live in the ground and come back.
We have been removing all of his poo but didnt no about the bleach trick....Thanks for the tip
Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Twin 2.0

Sammgirl's question about whether the pup looks like his parents in terms of coat color is skewed. Aussies, especially those with merle coats, very rarely look just like their parents, so it's not a good question to ask if you're trying to determine parentage.

Also, I would recommend you stick with Interceptor. It's just a better product with a better safety track record.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 PM
ACoops favorite

It is a good question if you're trying to determine if the pup is a lethal white. Which, since both puppy's parents are merle, it most certainly is a lethal white.

I'm not a collie person, but I know a little bit about genetics. I'm not ignorant enough to assume that two merles look alike regarding exact coloration.