Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Posts: n/a

Not everyone that owns a hound actually hunts it... some do have them purely for non-hunting pets. Mine are.
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,074

Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
before suggesting a breed or breeder of hounds to a newbie, i would ask these questions & their answers would lead to about 20-50 more.
do you plan to hunt the hound? if not why? if so, what do you plan to hunt? do you want to hunt for meat/furs, pleasure/sport, competition or some combination of them? what size acreage do you have to hunt on? are you prepared to spend the money to acquire the skills & gear needed to maintain the highest degree of safety for your hound?

Well, I wouldn't say we are at the suggesting a breeder stage--it's just one of the types of dogs I'm interested in for sometime in the future.

I don't plan to hunt. I have nothing against hunting at all--I just don't know how I'd go about it. I would want to get the dog involved in something like tracking though. As far as doing what I need to to keep the dog safe--absolutely.

I would like to try a breed that is more of a challenge than a lab, but is biddable with other dogs and people. If I just wanted to just get a hound to have one, I could talk to my friend's neighbor--they have already offered me an adolescent plott, a treeing walker coonhound that wouldn't hunt, and a cure pup. However, I know that we would be new to this and they would be different than what we've owned (pit type dog and lab) and don't want to rush into something.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072

that's why my first question was whether she would hunt it.

i understand some people just don't want to hunt. it's okay. the reason i ask that first is because most seriously hunt bred dogs are more dog than most people who want just pets are prepared to handle. for this reason i wouldn't suggest most coonhounds to begin with.
when you say you wouldn't know how to go about hunting, do you mean you'd like to but don't know where to start or do you mean you really don't want to? remember hunting doesn't have to mean killing. and it can be a fun competitive activity that will keep a dog really fit. if you actually would like to, it's just about finding you a dog hunter to mentor you. if you just don't want to that's okay too (someone has to do the gathering ).
when you say tracking are you talking about competitive tracking? this is an activity that depends more than people realize on the trainer/handler similar to bloodtrailing.

as for DA & biddability i've had more problems from treeing walkers than anything else, that said there are good & bad dogs in everybreed.
i think you would be best served w/ showbred foxhound, harrier, or B & T coonhounds. But if you really want to try a field type dog then a leopard cur/leopard treehound (new UKC designation) would be your best bet for a good handle, strong drive & pleasant personality. understand that if you choose to get a UKC registered leopard treehound, you can only register it w/ the ALCBA (the parent club) if it actually hunts in front of a breed judge. regardless of pedigree they won't give full registration to a dog that doesn't hunt. but they are the best handling most consistant personality of all the treehound breeds. also although everyone uses the term coonhound, only certain breeds are actually coonhounds. the plott & the leopard weren't bred for coon. technically the plott is a bear DOG ( some are hounds & some are still curs). the leopard is technically an all arounder but was mostly a bear & cat dog before it became popular w/ coonhunters.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 PM
thehoundgirl's Avatar
thehoundgirl thehoundgirl is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,347

I know this thread is a little old, but I live with a hound and he is loud but I don't mind. If you don't like loud baying, don't get a hound. It's simple. It takes a very special person to own a hound, especially a coonhound!!

If you have cats, I wouldn't recommend a hound to you. Maybe a basset hound, they aren't quick because they have stubby legs. Beagles can kill a cat instantly! Buster, our coonhound love our cats, we recently just got a new kitten and he doesn't hurt her, but he is VERY interested in her.

But hounds are NOT for everyone. Yes they are cute, but they have their quirks. You need to have a VERY secure fence. Luckily Buster is too hefty to hop the fence, he shows zero interest.

About DA it depends on the hound! Buster is some-what dog aggressive but not severe. Plus they follow their noses so they can't ever be off-leash even at a dog park, they see something they are gone, period. Even if you have a good recall with them, they see something that may interest them they get their heads stuck up their butts.

But living with a hound is wonderful, you need to excercise them good though or they will just sleep all day if you let them. I will have another hound someday, but not with 3 cats! There's a very awesome hound, Memphis where I volunteer, I wish I could take her home but she would eat my cats.

I forgot to add - Buster is a pet and is not a hunter. I wouldn't dream of him being a hunter lol I don't agree with it unless the dog enjoys it. If I have a hound in the future that dog will be a pet too.

They truly are big clowns, plus you have to manage their weight because they will TRY to eat everything in sight if allowed!!

When I was growing up - we had a beagle/basset hound mix he was awesome.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072

90% of ALL dogs want to hunt SOMETHING if given the chance. they just don't always want to hunt what you want to hunt. out of the 10% a lot of those will run w/ other dogs that are hunting out of inherent social needs. you can't force a dog to hunt. either it does or it doesn't. usually the problem is they get deadset on hunting something you don't want to hunt. not a big deal in most southern states where pretty much everything can be hunted w/ dogs. the bear doggers just give their incorrigible deer runners to the deer hunters and so on. bigger problem in northern & western states where dog hunting is more restricted.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site